How the Grinch Stole Xmas Lesson Ideas

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sdouglass, Nov 15, 2012.

1. sdouglass

sdouglass New Member

Nov 15, 2012

Hi all,

I'm a first year 5th grade teacher, and I absolutely love Dr. Seuss. I really want to do a reading/writing activity the day before Christmas break, but am not sure how to make it 5th-grade appropriate. Any suggestions? I want them to write a prompt, but I want to connect it directly to the curriculum in some way. Thanks!

3. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Nov 15, 2012

What about bringing in ethics-if you were the Grinch's defense attorney, what kind of argument could you make in his favor?

I also think it's a great comparison to A Christmas Carol-there are several movies out there as well as condensed versions of the story.

4. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Habitué

Nov 18, 2012

I think you could have your students write a page or two that could fit into the story. They would need to study the rhyming, syllable and word patterns of Seuss. Afterwards you could have them work individually or in pairs to make their pages. An art tie-in would be to study his illustrations and come up with art work for their poems.

At my school, we have so many religions other than Christian, I don't think I'd pick a Christmas story.

5. bondo

bondo Cohort

Nov 19, 2012

What if they wrote a letter to the grinch? They could write a persuasive letter asking the grinch to not steal Christmas.

6. 3Sons

3Sons Connoisseur

Nov 19, 2012

I'm a little confused -- you want to bring in Dr. Seuss ... for the sake of bringing in Dr. Seuss? Is there a reason you shouldn't be starting with the curriculum and figuring out material connects with it, rather than starting with material and trying to jam it into a curriculum?

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

Nov 19, 2012

What if they wrote a letter to the grinch? They could write a persuasive letter asking the grinch to not steal Christmas.

I like this idea! Persuasive writing is a part of the 5th grade curriculum, and this could work out quite well.

8. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Nov 20, 2012

Don't know if this is too juvenile for fifth graders (I teach second) but my favorite Grinch prompt is "Cindy Lou Who didn't go back to bed. Instead she..." They always turn out really cute and funny. I would warn you to tell them that Cindy can't get violent. The first year I used this prompt, I didn't think to do that, and Cindy did some pretty awful things to the Grinch!

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Nov 22, 2012

How about having them write a different ending to the story? They
    can write about why they ended it the way they chose.
    Rebel1