how often do your parents call you?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Jun 23, 2011.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 23, 2011

My parents used to call maybe once a week but it seems every few weeks now. I email and dont always see a reply even if it is just a few words to say hi or something.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2011

My parents probably call about 3 times or more a week, but they were doing daycare for my little one, so I was also seeing my mom three or more times a week as well.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2011

My dad calls about every other day.

5. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 23, 2011

my mom calls almost everyday. Sometimes several times a day, but we don't talk long. She will call to tell me some little thing or something that is going on in the Casey Anthony trial. My mom has been pretty much housebound the last year, so the phone is her connection to the outside world. I'm grateful she is still with us.

6. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2011

My mom and I always talk on Sundays - that's just kind of a ritual. But we typically talk more than that most weeks - it usually ranges from about every day to 2-3 times a week.

I never talk to my dad on the phone. He yells HI in the background when I talk to mom. It's so awkward and there are lots of silences when we talk on the phone.

7. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 23, 2011

I talk to my mom every day. I wish I had another chance to talk to my dad.

8. MuggleBug

MuggleBug Companion

Jun 23, 2011

1-2x a week but we email frequently.

9. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 23, 2011

When I do call my mom every now and then it's usually for 5 minutes because she has to "get back to working on her paperwork" she's a teacher too or my dad is talking to her. *sigh*
    I usually have more to share for fun so she can think about something other than teaching for a moment. It's all she talks about unless I bring up another topic and has been that way for years. I miss my MIL calling every Sunday night to say hi and ask us how we were doing, what was new, etc....it just seemed like she cared about our lives. (She passed this past October).

10. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2011

Dad calls about twice per year, but never to just chat...there is always a purpose. I've worked very hard of my relationship with my mother and she'll call once every week or so if I haven't called her.

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Jun 23, 2011

when my mom was alive we talked everyday and I miss those conversations with her. My husband talks to his parents a lot sometimes everyday or just a few times a week or once a week, it varies.

12. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Jun 23, 2011

Hard to say sometimes. My dad will call or email me if he has not heard from me in awhile. He calls more now that it is summer break, but that is because I was giving hm a hard time for not calling. My mom??? she lives with my sister and I talk to my sister every single day....4:30pm on the nose. Most of my communication with my mom comes via my sister.

13. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2011

I used to call my mother on my cell phone every morning on my way to school when she was alive. She was in her 70s and 80s so she loved to hear from me so she almost never would call me.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 23, 2011

I talk tomy parents pretty much every day. We live in the same town so I also see them a few times per week.:love:

15. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Jun 23, 2011

Ah...I just checked my voicemail since I was tutoring and my mom left a msg saying happy anniversary since its today and how she got so busy to notice on the calendar....my grandma called to remind her.
    I wish people wouldnt be so busy with their work even after working all day that they dont check in with family as often just to show they care!

16. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 23, 2011

Mine never call unless they really need something. They expect me to always call them- which I find frustrating. If I get really busy and don't call for awhile, they get upset, and then of course I mention that the phone works both ways....for some reason they think it is my responsibility to keep in touch with them. They will send an e mail if they haven't heard from me in awhile. I usually try to call them about once every 2 weeks and we end up talking for an hour or so.

17. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jun 23, 2011

I talk with my parents at least once a week- usually my mom, but if my dad picks up I talk to him too. We were visiting once a week when my dad was sick, but he's better and we haven't been seeing them much. Actually, they are in OK for 2 weeks, so I won't see them until 4th of July probably!

18. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 23, 2011

I talk to my parents every day. If they don't call me, I call them. :)

19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 23, 2011

I see and/or talk to my parents at least 4-5 times/week. We're very close. :thumb:

20. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2011

When my mother died when I was 26, my dad (they were divorced) called to say the usual, I am here for you, babe, speech. I wasn't in a very receptive mood and replied that was great but half the time I don't even know what country you are in. He lives in another country and also travels a lot. Ever since then he calls faithfully every week and it has been over 25 years so I guess he was there for me after all.

21. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 24, 2011

Sadly, both of my parents have been gone for a long time.

My mom died when my girls were 4 and 5, and I have missed so much being able to share them with her. Next to my husband and I, she was the one who loved them the most and called every day to check on them.