How often do you get sick from your students?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by mhp8982, Dec 8, 2011.

1. mhp8982

mhp8982 New Member

Dec 8, 2011

I was just wondering for Middle School and High School teachers, how often do you get sick? How often from your students? I just wondered if there's a big difference from those who teach younger children? I know you always hear about younger kids in elementary school and preschool getting sick a lot, so I was wondering for these age groups.

If you never/rarely get sick, is there anything you do to keep from getting sick? Any tips?

Thanks!!

3. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Dec 8, 2011

1. I carry my own pencil when I walk around to help, so I don't need to use theirs "...just for a sec..."
    2. I keep a spray bottle of isoproply alcohol on my desk, and use it on my hands every time I handle kid's papers, plus use it on the stapler, etc. (smile!)
    Since I learned to do these two things, I've caught a lot less colds!

4. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Dec 8, 2011

My first year of teaching, I think I got sick more. I never (knock on wood!) really get sick from my students anymore.

I use hand sanitizer after every class (and often times during class) and I never touch my face with my fingers during school. I also make sure to wash my hands really well when I use the bathroom and before I eat my lunch.

5. KateL

KateL Habitué

Dec 8, 2011

My first year teaching middle school, I was sick almost every month. Then, I switched schools, and I was sick a lot again the first year I was there. Now, on my 3rd school, I haven't been sick yet this year! (knock on wood)

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2011

As a new teacher, you're going to get sick. Period. You need a chance for your immunities to build up. It's an occupational hazard.

As to me, I get laryngitis twice a year-- almost every spring and every fall. I got it even during the 5 years I was home with my kids. Aside from that, I get a couple of colds and the occasional bout of bronchitis.

7. mhp8982

mhp8982 New Member

Dec 8, 2011

This is my first year teaching in a middle school setting. So far I haven't been sick at all. I did teach adult education for 5 years and taught Economics to Seniors.. and never got sick during those years. But I wasn't sure with the middle school age.

I do take extra vitamins and wash my hands between every class and use hand sanitizer during class. I have my own tissue box and the students is in the back of the class with a bottle of sanitizer for them. I also use my own pen/pencil and have extras for the kids if they need them. I'm not really worried about small colds and whatnot.. just things that make you miss school. I've had a couple of small colds. More on the line of stomach bugs and things like that.. I figure these older kids aren't sick nearly as much as say preschoolers or early el ed.

And if you do get sick.. is it really from your students..? Or more likely from home/kids, etc?

8. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Dec 8, 2011

I can't remember the last time I got really sick at school.

Like Cindy, I also carry my own pen/pencil when helping students around the room. Students are not allowed to borrow my personal writing utensils. I have a huge supply of extra pencils for emergency borrowing.
    The tabletops in my room are black. I get grossed out when I see an abundance of student fingerprint smudges, so I frequently wash tables.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 8, 2011

I started out teaching seniors, and my first year I was on antibiotics every month for most of the year. After that, I typically got a spring and fall sinus infection, but I always got that before teaching anyway. From time to time I'd get a stomach bug, but not too often. I got pink eye a couple of times.

Last year was my 18th year, and by this time last year I had already had two icky stomach bugs, strep, and scarlet fever.

10. KatherineParr

KatherineParr Comrade

Dec 8, 2011

I almost never get sick, though I do lose my voice sometimes. It's usually strain, not illness.

I don't do any of the things folks here talk about. I share writing utensils, wash my hands normally (ie, after bathroom breaks, before eating, when icky), and don't use hand sanitizer at all. I eat a lot of fruit, but don't take vitamins.

Maybe I'm secretly Superman's love child, but I think the more likely explanation is that I have a toddler. I got every bug in the world his first year in school (2 years ago) and my immune system is now superheated.

11. mhp8982

mhp8982 New Member

Dec 8, 2011

We never get sick from our kids either. Or at least haven't so far (knock on wood).. they are 5 and 6. Maybe it's just an immune system thing. I would guess it's probably not as bad with these kids as it would be with younger kids since you don't have as much close contact... and they usually have better hygiene.. not putting everything in their mouths and things like that. I don't know.. I never got sick from the Seniors the first couple of years I was teaching them either.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 8, 2011

Wow...I must be having a tough week. When I first read the title of this thread, I thought it said: "How often do you get SICK OF your students?" :D

13. mhp8982

mhp8982 New Member

Dec 9, 2011

LOL... yeah that would be everyday! j/k

14. gaylewhit

gaylewhit Rookie

Mar 1, 2012

Hello, just a little advice.... When I started teaching I thought I didnt have to use special spray for my classrooms or hand sanitizer every 5 minutes but I was extremely WRONG!!!!! Just letting you know the better you protect yourself the better your teaching experience will be...

I feel like younger kids do get sick more often but their immune systems are developing and they do not know how to take care of personal hygenie yet, however; do not think that some of the older kids are spotless and clean.. they are also germy but they don't care.

I rarely get sick anymore but I do order products online to help protect me, my classroom, and my students. Its called Home-RID. I get the surface spray and the hand sanitizer. Both have long lasting effects for 24 hours or more which means less worry for me. Also, the hand sanitizer has NO alcohol! the new trend.

I spray everything in the room in the morning that students will touch and I put on my hand sanitizer and I feel much better for the rest of the day....

Try it!!

15. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 1, 2012

The first year I taught, I didn't get sick at all. The second year, I was sick with something at least once a month. I was teaching seniors both years. After that I moved to the middle school, and I had my typical fall and spring sinus infections, but those I've had all my life due to allergy issues. I'd get the occasional stomach bug, but that's about it.

I wash my hands with regular soap and water before lunch and again when I get home. I never use hand sanitizer. I don't share supplies with the kids, but that's a "I don't like people touching my things" type of issue, not a "germ" issue. I don't clean with antibacterial or antimicrobial cleaners.

I just got over my annual spring sinus infection, which hit early this year due to our mild winter.

Last year was a rough one for me. I had two nasty stomach bugs, two sinus/ear infections, strep, scarlet fever, and pneumonia.

16. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 1, 2012

I used to get sick every time I switched to a new class when I was doing long term volunteer work, especially with younger kids. Then there would be a few times a year after that. Now that I get a flu shot ASAP it's gotten immensely better. I haven't fallen ill at all since getting one months ago, and I've started a new job working in all kinds of places with Sp. Ed. I also make sure to wash my hands before eating anything or leaving for the day and I don't touch my face at all. I also take vitamins but I have no idea if that's actually doing anything. Carrying around a pencil is a great idea, I'm going to start doing that too.

Edit: Why hand sanitizer with no alcohol? Alcohol is effective and doesn't cause antibiotic/antimicrobial resistance. I'd look into the ingredients that they use in the other stuff. Soap and water are still best of all if you have a sink around.