How much time off in summer?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ima Teacher, May 6, 2019.

1. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 6, 2019

How long is your summer break? As in, how many free weekdays do you have during the summer?

I always hear non-teachers talk about how it must be nice to get three months off in the summer and get paid in the summer for not working. (The summer pay is a whole other thread, so we will stick with days off.)

I counted today. When I remove PD days and other work-required days, I have 36 weekdays of summer. And I’ll have to take a couple of those to get my room ready. Even more if I decide to paint my classroom.

3. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

May 6, 2019

I get six weeks off.

But the general public also complains that we don’t say the pledge, that we do not teach cursive, and have to take out analog clocks because our kids don’t get taught how to read them. . Non-teachers have no clue about what goes on.

We also get comments about how we need to take Common Core out of our classrooms. Texas has never had CC. Parents look flabbergasted when we tell them this at conferences.

Backroads likes this.
  4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 6, 2019

I get about seven weeks.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 6, 2019

We have ten weeks from the last day of one contract until the first day of the next. However, in that time, we have six days of required professional development. I am also teaching summer school this year, so that shortens my break considerably. I only have three weeks with zero commitments this year.

6. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 6, 2019

Is that in your contact? Is it something your school provides or plans for you, or do you choose what to go to?

7. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

May 6, 2019

Our PD days are part of our contract. Some years the district or school decides the PD. Other times we find our own. This year we are doing three days provided by the district/school, and my DH and I are doing one together. (He’s in a different district.)

When we have extra PD days, sometimes we get paid for them, but usually not. Of course, we can choose not to do them. One year I had enough extra PD hours that I was able to count them in place of a schedule staff work day when I was out for surgery so I didn’t have to use a sick day.

8. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

May 6, 2019

9 weeks

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 6, 2019

We have about 11 weeks off- I just counted and it's 58 week days. Teachers do go back about a week before students for required PD and work days, so students get 12 weeks. The district usually offers one or two things in the summer, but it's not mandatory and you're paid for attending. I would go just for the money, but it's always geared only toward classroom teachers.

I never go in early to set up my room. We get two work days before students start and that is plenty for me. I don't do any fancy decorating- just organize things, hang up a few posters, and put borders/bulletin board paper up. The actual content of the bulletin boards is either anchor charts or student work.

I've also posted before that trying to do any sort of "work ahead" in the summer is a waste of time in my school/district because they're always changing things. You'd just end up having to redo everything once you found out what the "new big things" are at back to school PD.

I am considering taking some online classes to move up on the salary scale, since I won't be working at all this summer. I'm waiting to see how contract negotiations shake out to see if it's worth it. One of things they were supposedly talking about is making the lanes smaller, like in 15 credit increments instead of the 20 they are now. On the off chance that succeeded, I would only need 9 credits to move up to the next lane.

ETA: I personally feel that the extensive time off is a benefit to the job that teachers need to acknowledge. Besides the 11 weeks in the summer, I get a week at Thanksgiving, at least 2 full weeks at Christmas, a week at spring break, and several 3 day weekends throughout the year. I do think some of it balances out with the fact that teachers have to be "on" all day long, which is rare in other salaried professions, and we're also not typically compensated for time worked outside of the contract day. I work pretty close to contract time- I always figure if I'm not going to get the benefit of a decent salary, then I'm certainly going to take the benefit of tons of time off. A lot of what I see teachers at my school spending "extra" time on is totally unnecessary stuff that is their choice to do.

Last edited: May 6, 2019
  10. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 7, 2019

We have 57 work days off.

11. Aces

Aces Habitué

May 7, 2019

Students will end up having 11 weeks off (school starts on a Tuesday), classroom teachers will 10 (they go back a week before for pd/classroom set up/new teacher orientation/etc). I'll get three weeks, which starts three weeks after everybody else (this was ironed down this week). The admin/guidance team leaves after everyone else and comes back early in order to finish one school year and start another. But that's fine, I've got stuff planned for those three weeks off!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 7, 2019

9 weeks.

13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 7, 2019

I don’t do professional development during the summers unless I want to. However, I do have two PD days during the school year that I am contracted to do (staff days where no students come to school).

During the summer, I get 73 days off (~2.5 months or ~11 weeks).

Backroads likes this.
  14. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

May 7, 2019

I'm guessing this is no more, given your new administrative position. I've never known an administrator who gets more than a week or two off in the summer in any district.

15. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

May 7, 2019

I expected the same thing, but my principal said that I will still have about the same summer break as before because my predecessors were able to get everything done during the school year and so there is no reason that that should change. I was quite pleased to hear that because I dreaded losing my summer break. The only thing he said that I may have to do is return like a week early and end the school year a couple days later, which I totally don’t mind! :D

Backroads likes this.
  16. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 7, 2019

I went and checked. 11 weeks, not a single day I'm required to do anything (though there are several summer PD offerings...)

17. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 7, 2019

So those of you [non-administrators] who do have required days in the middle of the summer, how does that look on contract? In my case, I am literally off-contract.

18. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

May 7, 2019

I personally have no qualms about admitting the breaks are a big perk of being a teacher, nor will I apologize for them.

I will, however, correct a common issue I hear of "paid for breaks". In my situation, we are not paid for summer, nor any of the breaks. It could be argued that I am being paid such-n-such for less than a year of work, but I have found some people are very bothered by the idea we are specifically being paid for breaks.

19. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 7, 2019

If I was still going to work, I would have had 80 work days off this summer.

20. Aces

Aces Habitué

May 7, 2019

I love how you have to specify "non-administrators", haha! I mean it's definitely a warranted destination!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  21. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 7, 2019

Yes, it is in our contract. We do not get a choice in it, but the district does provide it. This year, we have two extra days because of a new state initiative that requires specific training in order to keep our license. We will get a stipend for those two extra days in June 2020.