How much summer do you devote to teaching?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Jun 8, 2015.

1. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 9, 2015

Almost none. I have a couple of PDs I'm signed up for, and I chaperon a camp but that doesn't really seem like 'work' but other than that I don't work on school work during the summer.

2. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 9, 2015

It is funny. Reading education blog comments you would think that ALL teachers work ALL summer long getting ready for the next year. I honestly don't know anyone who puts in much time over the summer unless they are going to be teaching a course they are not extremely familiar with or they have training in order to teach AP.

From what I know, not doing a whole lot (except some PD for licensure), is more the norm.

3. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

Jun 9, 2015

It depends. Some summers I've hardly even thought about school from the day I left until the day we had to go back. The past few years I've been more motivated to work on creating new activities and lessons. This summer I figure I'll spend a lot of time because I'm moving up to English 2 from English 1 next year and am also moving classrooms. I've already been planning for next year and have a good head start. I'm hoping that I'll be able to take it easy over the summer, but I kind of enjoy obsessing over my job, LOL. I'm unmarried and childless, so except for taking care of three horses, three dogs, and two cats and keeping my small farm mowed all summer, I have plenty of time to brainstorm and plan. I imagine I'll go out to school a few times over the summer to work on my classroom, but again, that's fun stuff to me. :)

4. elemsped

elemsped New Member

Jun 9, 2015

Not much! I am going to a one day seminar and may have to drop another short PD due to a schedule conflict. We don't know how the caseload will be split yet and I am not even 100% I will be at the same school.

I do plan to organize my resources and enjoy pinning new ideas. I want to make binders by skill for each subject and include extra worksheets I have collected. That way when I get unexpected kids sent to me, I can easily pull out work. I also want to explore some ideas I have pinned but haven't read yet. Other than that, I will wait until I know more about the grade I will teach.

5. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 9, 2015

Administrators only get 5 weeks off for summer. During that time, I have vacations planned. When I'm not vacationing, I'll be at home watching Netflix with my bf and dog.

I do plan to paint some dingy walls in my (school) office over the summer, but that should only take an afternoon. I'm in my office from Monday-Friday from 7-4 (sometimes later), so I need it to be a colorful, inviting, and happy place!

ETA: I'm not in my office for all those hours. :lol: I meant to say that I'm at school all day, but when I'm in my office, I want to see nice scenery.

6. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jun 9, 2015

I'm teaching two weeks of summer school and I plan on getting up with my new team of teachers the first week or so in August.

That's about it for me!

7. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 9, 2015

Depends on what I know is waiting for me in August (new preps and such) and how poorly the NC General Assembly is treating us.

Last summer I did practically nothing.

This summer I had planned on helping out my district working for no pay to develop resources for a course I don't teach. The district pretty much insinuated I was a cheat (as well as others on my team) and that they do not trust us to work without clocking in. So I decided that giving them my free time wasn't going to happen after all.

However, I am really excited about making some new stuff for myself for next year and already have a list a mile long for summer work. Spending time with my family is my #1 priority, though. If it comes down to working on vocabulary lists or heading to the zoo, the zoo wins :)

8. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jun 9, 2015

I spend part of my day each day during the summer organizing and preparing. It makes things so much easier when the year begins.

9. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jun 9, 2015

I already went to a two day kindergarten conference hosted by my district. In July I will go to a one day training for our new initiative for student growth. So just three day for PD and I will spend about two days setting up my room before our teacher work days start.

10. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Jun 10, 2015

Usually, I spend the first few weeks of summer NOT doing any school related business and I certainly don't do anything when I travel. However, I reach a certain point in the summer where I am excited to go back and I start working on stuff. I have to be in the mood, though! Lol. This usually happens after I'm back from vacation ;)

11. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jun 10, 2015

i feel like I usually spend a chunk of everyday working on something... there's been so much upheaval and change every year with little direction from the DO.

This year, though, we have some new district-level people in my subject, and they seem very dedicated to providing direction to the teachers. They are currently designing an actual scope and sequence that actually makes sense, so I'm pretty excited about that! I'm working at the DO for a week; I'm going to do a little work on my Vocab and grammar curriculum, and I'm nearly done with inventory in the book room. Then I'm going to beach it for the rest of summer.

12. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 10, 2015

I can't get into my school until August 1st. Usually I get cool ideas all Summer long and just write them down. If I see something on sale, or some company offering free shipping I'll buy it. If I have a really big project I'll start working on it the first week of August. This Summer I am going to prepare all of my Math Focus boards for the entire year. June and July is all for me to just be lazy and go on vacation for the most part.

13. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 10, 2015

I try to take a couple of hours once a week to do something to make me more organized for next year. This year I am redoing my filing system so the things I've created are filed by standard or unit instead of topic, since some topics are taught multiple times. I am also wanting to use more interactive notebooks next year, so I am compiling a list of which types of foldables go with which topics, so when the time comes, I can prep less.

14. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 11, 2015

Zero for me. My summer is dedicated to my own children.

15. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 11, 2015

I think that people who spend their time on education blogs are the more likely subset to spend their time working in the summer.

Same for people on this forum... we're clearly spending our "off time" discussing teaching, so people on here are probably more likely to be doing other teaching-related things outside of the classroom. Maybe?

I have nothing pressing that I need or plan to get done. However, I sometimes find myself sneaking online and doing things like modifying my classroom website or finding a good reading log for next year. We're getting a ton of new curriculum materials next year, so there's zero planning I can do for that, which I appreciate. I just can't stay away. I'd like to be better about that - I'd like to be able to just turn off my brain and enjoy summer!

I did order Teach Like a Pirate and plan to read that, preferably somewhere sunny and poolside. :cool:

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 11, 2015

I try to do a bit each day. I make sure all my monthly calendars are done for each course. Things change, but it helps me see where I'm heading. I try to make sure all materials are prepped too-quizzes, handouts, rubrics, etc... It makes my life easier during the school year.

17. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 11, 2015

I take courses to be a better teacher, revisit lessons that I would like to kick up a notch, browse for great ideas, gather free goodies for posters and other class ideas, pilfer other's great ideas, and attend some workshops either in my content areas, or in an area I would like to know more about. I have even spent the last two summers working on learning Spanish. I don't have to have it, but it seems better than watching boring reality shows. I like to learn, and summer lets me do it on my time schedule, for which I am very grateful.

18. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 11, 2015

Sounds fantastic to me too! There's a time for everything. If people want to work their heads off year-round, they can go for it. There's time to relax too (no matter how busy one gets) & it's healthy for mind, body, & spirit.

19. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jun 11, 2015

I'm actually getting a bit excited about the opportunity to work over the summer. This past year was crazy busy and I didn't get to create a lot of new things for my students. So I've started bringing some supplies home for me to work with. If I don't get to any of it, no sweat. For me, working over the summer is going to be doing things I WANT to do, not have to do.

20. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jun 11, 2015

I'm planning to devote several days total - but mostly not whole days, a few hours here and there. I'll be going into my second year teaching 5th grade at a school where we create our own curriculum. This year was actually the first year our grade level existed at the school. I felt like we were playing catch up all year. I'm looking forward to doing some advance planning and pacing this summer.

I'm also going to two different 3 day PDs, but I'm excited about those.

My summer is 7 weeks, which I know is short compared to many. 3 of those are a vacation out of state. Another partial week is probably going to be in southern CA. The rest will be a balance of doing nothing and doing work.

We have keys and can enter campus whenever we want, but I don't plan to do that until a week or so before teacher work days start.

If I do nothing this summer, I will be in bad shape when school starts.