How much has teaching changed in the last 7 - 10 years?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SageScience, Jul 14, 2017.

1. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Jul 14, 2017

My back story: I was a HS teacher from 2004 - 2011. I left the classroom in 2011 to work in industry. I quit my job two months ago in order to search for teaching jobs and prepare myself to re-enter the classroom.

How has teaching changed since 2011? What things should I take into consideration and expect?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jul 15, 2017

Our standards changed. That's about the biggest thing I can recall.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2017

Standards
    High stakes testing
    Literacy instruction

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Jul 15, 2017

Responsibility for literacy instruction throughout all content matter.
    NGSS for those in science.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 15, 2017

NCLB changed to ESSA. That is the biggest deal.

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 15, 2017

I've only been teaching since 2010 and I've already seen the pendulum swing back and forth several times as far as instructional practices. The only big difference I notice is that the constant use of technology has become an expectation (and I'm sure this varies by location, this is just what I'm seeing). When I first started teaching the only technology my school had for instruction was Smartboards and document cameras. Now, we're a 1:1 school (i pads) and I'm seeing that become more and more popular. A lot of teachers are using things like google classroom constantly.

SageScience likes this.
  8. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jul 15, 2017

More districts across the nation are ending graded pay scales for teachers, meaning that the salary you start with is the most you will ever make, as pay is subsequently cut year after year via increased insurance rates, higher deductibles, and reduced coverage. On top of this, states are reducing funding to public schools and pushing the cheaper alternative of charters on taxpayers, starting with poor and working class districts less likely to recognize what is happening or organize opposition.

I find these changes more substantive than shifting acronyms.

2011 is the year my state declared open war on its teachers.

http://www.thestarpress.com/story/o...-stands-mcs-cash-gone-oct-says-cfo/471546001/

9. mrsf70

mrsf70 Rookie

Jul 16, 2017

These things are huge changes. In Indiana, first-time teaching licenses have dropped 63% since 2010, the year the state legislature implemented many of the above items. Add to that the ever-increasing demands on teachers from meetings to paperwork to higher test results...

10. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jul 16, 2017

While this may be happening your district or state, it is not happening in mine or many others. I don't think it's fair or responsible to make such a strong statement as "... meaning that the salary you start with is the most you will ever make..." Many districts do value and take care of their teachers, even when the state may make changes. Ending salary schedules is not even being talked about on a widespead level in my state, and, if it were, I'm confident that my local school district would find a way to ensure that teachers were receiving raises, even if small, as often as they could. While there may have to be salary freeze one year or another, my district administrators and school board members have made it clear that they know teachers are the most valuable asset they have, and they do everything within their power to treat us as such.

czacza likes this.
  11. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jul 16, 2017

Of course, the new trends in education will vary from state to state and district to district. It would probably be wise to look into your own state's department of education website to find out what changes have been made local to you.

That said, from my perspective at the elementary level, the biggest changes since 2011 have been less emphasis on standardized testing and worksheet and basal teaching, as well as more emphasis on inquiry-based teaching and conceptual development. The standards have changed to reflect skills and concepts more relevant to our current world. Many would say that they are more rigorous. Teaching for a growth mindset and teaching students to appreciate diversity and show acceptance towards others has also been big in my area.

SageScience likes this.
  12. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Jul 16, 2017

Thanks everyone

13. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 17, 2017

Everything is responsible when all you care about is your personal agenda.

bella84 likes this.
  14. AmyMyNamey

AmyMyNamey Comrade

Jul 19, 2017

Wanting teachers to make a living wage is a selfish agenda? I suppose that is a matter of perspective.

anon55 likes this.
  15. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2017

I said personal, not selfish. We get it, you're a martyr. You don't need to change people's words to further prove yourself.

bella84 likes this.
  16. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Jul 19, 2017

I think to be fair there's no doubt there's a war on teachers with the expansion of charter schools (non union), merit pay, weakening or eliminating tenure where it still exists and many other things. It's not even arguable, it's well documented. The question is if teaching is still a field worth going into. I would say it is for now, but teaching working conditions will continue to deteriorate over the coming years, although this varies greatly depending on where you are.

SageScience likes this.
  17. SageScience

SageScience Companion

Jul 19, 2017

Where did this war on teachers come from? Do you think that this anti-teacher culture that seems to be pervasive comes from the rise of anti-intellectualism (i.e. science deniers) or vice-versa? Why is education often equated with politics and in some instances religion? Why is there such a distrust of teachers and education in general that seems to be more or less mainstream?

18. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2017

That's quite a strawman you've built there.

This, by the way, is exactly where the perceived war on teachers comes from. It's from us. I hear 10 times more negatively coming from the NEA/CTA towards school reformers, charters, shoot even parents, than I ever hear from anyone else toward teachers. The unions that represent us have built a narrative that we are victims under attack. Of course we're going to find boogiemen everywhere we look.

Are there people who think teachers are underworked and overpaid? Of course. Are they even close to a majority? Of course not.

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

Jul 19, 2017

Technology and standards

20. anon55

anon55 Comrade

Jul 19, 2017

I think the war on teachers comes from big money interests who see a big opportunity in the public education sector to make a lot of profit. There's lot of companies (new common core compliant textbooks, testing services, etc) that make a lot of money off contracts with school districts. Bashing teachers to discredit the profession is big business, because once the unions are broken it will be easier to privatize. This is happening across the country: Bill Gates foundation. Eli Broad, Wendy Kopp, Walton Foundation (Walmart). Here's some evidence to prove it isn't a strawman as requested by Kev. http://www.salon.com/2014/01/13/teach_for_americas_pro_corporate_union_busting_agenda_partner/

The other reason is part of what you said about anti intellectualism. Teachers, like scientists now, are seen as liberal and therefore not trustworthy. Also, helicopter parents who feed into the narrative that teachers are dumb and untrustworthy, and believing their "little angels" over the adults. These are my opinions based on my observations and evidence.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    AmyMyNamey and waterfall like this.
  21. Leah

Leah New Member

Jul 20, 2017

A lot has changed. Now we have access to tons of information. This could seem to make study easier but for real it's even more complicated to cope with all of that information for both teachers and students. Luckily, there a lot of helpful services custom critical analysis writing services available online, and many other.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    SageScience likes this.