How much do you charge to tutor?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by ThirdGrade123, May 25, 2006.

1. ThirdGrade123

ThirdGrade123 Companion

May 25, 2006

Hey! I was recently approached by a few families asking if I would tutor their children over the summer. Of course I jumped at the chance to make a few extra dollars but could not give them a price! I find it so uncomfortable telling them a dollar amount. A few teachers I talked to at my school say they charge $50 an hour. I honestly do not think I can ask for that amount. So, I was going to tell them one hour a day two times a week ..total price $70/$75. What do you think? too high? What do you charge?

Thanks for you input!

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

May 25, 2006

$30-35/hour

4. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

May 25, 2006

In manhattan it is anywhere from $75-125/hr. It really depends on the going rate where you live.

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 25, 2006

I'm on Long Island NY. The going rate is the same as Manhattan-- about $100 per hour. I charge $60, but they come to me... I tutor in my dining room.

But I would imagine that in most of the country the average is much lower.

6. MandaNicole01

MandaNicole01 Habitué

May 25, 2006

My husband ran into the same problem. He tutors for free (county expense...they pay him $18 an hour) for students who can't afford tutoring...but for a one-on-one session at their home it's $35. This is considered an average price in our area - WV.

7. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

May 25, 2006

Here, probably 40-50 an hour :)

8. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 26, 2006

I charge $30 after school and I have one student whose house I go to and charge $40. My summer tutoring schedule is just starting to fill up. I have 4 sessions on Tuesdays, one so far on Thursdays, at least through June. There are 4 or 5 other kids who may sign up. That should do it.

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 26, 2006

I used to charge only 20 but the rate is now around 35. I required two hrs a week of those that I tutored. So if you did that 75 a week would be fine.

10. 3kings

3kings Rookie

May 26, 2006

guys,
    when you say tutoring, are they lessons done during this year or as advance learning?

11. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 27, 2006

Either way. I'll help with what they're learning in class, prep for final exams (or NYS Regents exams), do SAT prep or, on the rare occasion, try to get them prepped for the following year.

12. pamms

pamms Comrade

May 27, 2006

DO you have a specific program you use?

I was thinking of doing some tutoring also. I have a couple parents from my homeroom class who have asked me about possible tutors. I think I may throw my name out there for one of them.
    I'd be just winging it at this point...I'd have to head to the teacher store for materials, etc.
    This student needs to work on math skills to try to bring them up.
    Anyway...do you use a specific program or do you just pull materials from various resources?
    I know one other teacher in my school charges $25 and hour, and I think she goes to the kids' houses. I'm thinking maybe I'd charge $20 and have the student come to my house. I'll have to check around some more on pricing.
    Pam

13. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

May 27, 2006

Just a thought you may want to go to their homes and require a parent be home while you are tutoring. I always do that because I don't trust parents of not accusing me of something that didn't happen.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 27, 2006

Be careful about tutoring the same kids you teach. There's a HUGE potential for conflict of interest there!!!

15. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 27, 2006

We are not allowed to tutor our students.

16. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

May 27, 2006

I would probably only charge 20/hr ...and I don't think I would be comfortable tutoring my students either. I would do kids at my school-just not the ones in my present class. Sounds like good money though-good luck!

17. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 27, 2006

Even that is a potential problem. Most of the tutors I know will NOT tutor a child from the school in which they teach. You may want to check with your administration to see whether there's a policy in place.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

May 27, 2006

I only tutor kids from my school and often tutor kids from my own class. The parents prefer it and it saves time because you know exactly what the child needs to work on and how best to teach him/her. My school supports this - it is a service to the family.

This summer I will have one who is a few years behind (suspected LD), one who needs to review this past years math program, three who will be skipping grades in math and need to have a crash course in certain topics. They won't tutor the whole summer, though.

I have found it effective to tutor kids who will be entering my class in August, too, and hope to have one sign up because I know where he needs help. I sometimes get kids who graduate from our school, take algebra in 9th, and come back for help with it.

19. hanvan

hanvan Connoisseur

May 27, 2006

My school has no problem with you tutoring someone at the campus. I am not sure about how they would feel having the teacher tutor one of her own students. I just personally wouldn't want to. We often trade kids or get another teacher to do it.

20. MissAmy

MissAmy Companion

Jun 5, 2006

When I did a little tutoring last year in math I charged $40 for and hour and a half.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 5, 2006

You charge what the going rate is- I'm also in NJ and in my district it's generally $60 per hour. What you are proposing Thridgrade123 is about 1/2 of what others in your area are charging- could be a good move- you could end up with more tutoring jobs. On the otherhand, why undersell yourself? I have a masters degree, teach a college class in literacy, have been trained in balanced literacy, have 60 credits past my masters in a variety of content/subject areas, 9 years teaching experience- I'm worth it. There are 'newbie' teachers charging the same $60 that I am- I'm a bargain at $60 compared to them!!