How much do you actually work over the summer?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Jul 14, 2017.

1. Backroads

Backroads Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2017

I have realized I have four weeks to go and I haven't done a darn thing related to school except for a required two-day course.

How about the rest of you?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2017

Never as much as I plan, but definitely here and there at home over the first month or so, and in the classroom more often (i.e. a day or two a week) in the final few weeks, depending on what's happening. Of course, one of my goals is to be using a bunch of time to read books from my classroom library...and I'm only 60 pages into my first (this is week 3 of break). :/

Granted, I'm headed to the classroom today...ha.

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 14, 2017

Nothing officially - no PD, haven't gone into my classroom - but I've done some editing to things online and on my computer. Plus I've been on Pinterest and TPT and reading teaching books.

5. agdamity

agdamity Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2017

Depends on the year. The last few years, not much. I do my required PD, and might do a few crafts or look up resources for new activities on teachers pay teachers or Pinterest, but I like to use most of summer to relax and refresh.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 14, 2017

None, and I don't plan to do anything. We have a new P and AP for next year, so I have no idea what changes they'll be making or what new things they'll be expecting us to do. I don't want to waste my time redoing work later. I'm on my school's leadership team and we were asked to come in for a (not required) all day "retreat" this summer. We were asked to choose between a June date or the day before our first PD day in August. I voted for the June day because I wanted to know what was coming ahead of time, but I was outvoted and the August date was chosen. So as of right now I'm completely in the dark about what next year will look like.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2017

Not much.

8. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Jul 14, 2017

I've been doing more this summer than I typically do. I was at a four full days of PD earlier this week, and I've been doing a lot of professional reading and related online coursework. I've also contacted families of my new students to set up home visits, and I'll be doing most of those next week. I also have a list of things I'd like to start planning before I have to start back in a month.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2017

I've only been off for two weeks, but have done some pro reading and have read 4 books from my classroom library. I've also started to purge and organize my Google Drive (gosh, that gets out of control quickly!). I am doing a 2-day workshop in August (free from my board) and have 4 more professional books on my to-be-read pile. Last year was a tough one for me and I'm not happy with the way some things went, so I'm going to be rewriting several units in Literacy, Geography and History.

I do a fair bit, but everything is at a leisurely pace. I'll sit on my deck with a cup of coffee (or a glass of wine) while I'm reading or planning. A small group of us will get together over lunch (and wine!) and brainstorm ideas for a new unit. I'll go to PD if it's worthwhile. Nothing that I do over the summer feels like a burden or like something that I'm obligated to do.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2017

None.

At my school teachers return to school a week or so before the rest of the teachers in the district. We receive additional pay for this (and it's very good money). There is a fair amount of planning time built in to that extra week, so I do my stuff then.

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 15, 2017

This summer? NONE. We had to have our rooms packed 100 percent before school was out. They just moved us into a new building last week--new for us. We are waiting for storage to be installed. Then we can work in the building. I have been up there maybe four hours or so since I checked out. But I am going up tonight to start unpacking the things I am putting in storage.

12. kaitydid

kaitydid Rookie

Jul 16, 2017

I took a couple of classes this summer and mapped out my decor/classroom theme for next year, but aside from that, I haven't done much. We have a new principal next year, and it looks like we need to shift some grades around (small, private school). On top of that, the new principal is trying to decide if she needs me to stay with the middle schoolers or move down to 2nd grade (our 2nd grade teacher unexpectedly quit). I'm hesitant to plan anything concrete until everything is settled down and confirmed. Luckily my classroom theme is great for both 2nd grade and middle school, so I am buying most of my decor this week and will use our pre-school week to decorate and knock out some planning.