How many teachers new to your school are coming in this year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by maya5250, Aug 7, 2011.

?

How many teachers new to your school this year (from 1st yr to veteran)

1. No Teachers are being hired

13 vote(s)
    17.3%
  2. 1-5 Teachers

41 vote(s)
    54.7%
  3. 6-10 Teachers

13 vote(s)
    17.3%
  4. 11-20 Teachers

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. More than 20 Teachers

3 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Aug 7, 2011

Another thread has me thinking about something.

How many teachers will be new to your school this year?

I mean - new 1st year teachers and veterans (but new to teaching at your school) can be included in your count.

We will have 11 new teachers coming in with a range of experiences.

I posted in another thread, how many teachers we have total at the school. So, I won't repeat myself on this fact and will provide a link to the thread (http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=148820&page=2)

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2011

We will have 4 new teachers and one new educational assistant.

4. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Aug 7, 2011

Poll has been included above.

Thanks in advance of the replies. Just doing this survey for the sake of curiosity. :)

5. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2011

We have 2 assistants and 3 new teachers.

6. maya5250

maya5250 Comrade

Aug 7, 2011

Thanks smalltowngal and MrsC for your replies.

For survey partakers,

I didn't include an option for assistants. Please include those numbers in your answer to the poll if you would like to answer the survey.

Also, master (aka resource) teachers can be included in the poll too.

Thanks a bunch

7. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 7, 2011

We are getting tons of new teachers. Last year, I was the only new one! We are combining with a middle school to create a k-8 this coming school year. No one left on our elementary staff, but we got so many new kids through variances and things like that that we were able to split grade levels that had previously only had 1 class into 2 classes. So we hired a brand new 4th grade teacher and a 3rd grade teacher who has 20+ years of experience but will be new to our building. In the middle school level, a ton of people left. A few went to teach elsewhere and several were non renewed. It was a tiny staff to begin with, but only 3 of the original teachers are staying on! We hired a music teacher who did a long term sub for us last year, a writing teacher and two reading (one reading/social studies) teachers who were all rif'd from other schools in the district, a Science teacher new to our building but with a lot of experience, and a part time Spanish teacher who is also experienced but new to our building. According to the rumor mill, the middle school staff was pretty much in turmoil all year last year. Many of them hated the admin (we really like them) so we're hoping with most of those people gone all the new people will fit in more like our elementary staff since we're pretty solid.

8. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Aug 7, 2011

For the first time in my now 17 years at my school, we have not hire one single new teacher for this school year. We lost five to retirment and not a single one has been replaced :(

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Aug 7, 2011

We actually lost one position last year at the end of the year. Then over the summer we had two teachers resign and go to other districts. One was filled in-district, and one was hired after school began. The day before school started, one teacher went into labor, so she has a sub. Another teacher took family leave, so there is a sub there, too.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2011

It's hard to say; there are always changes over the summer that come as a surprise.

But Megan is moving.
    And in the last year we lost 5 staff members, 3 of whom were teaching at least part time. So they'll have to be replaced.

11. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 7, 2011

Our district is doing "realignment" this year (which is they are doing a big shuffle of everyone). Almost my whole building was moved out except for 3 teachers! My new building will have more than 20 teachers new to the building! We are still in the process of hiring 5 new teachers (that is after we laid of 10 teachers due to budget cuts!) Guess we didn't need to make the budget cuts!!! :mad:

12. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Aug 7, 2011

I voted 1-5 b/c I think it's 5 or 6 new teachers + a new principal. Not sure yet what their experience levels are.

Last year was my first year teaching and I was one of only 2 new teachers hired.

13. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 7, 2011

Getting a job at my school takes an act of divine intervention. We never have openings. The only position we filled was for a 1/2 time school nurse.

14. TXowl

TXowl Companion

Aug 7, 2011

At my new school I know that myself and one other teacher on my team are new to the school.

Last year, I was hired 5 weeks into school and it seemed like everyone was new to the campus. I later found out there were 17 new people to the campus (out of ~50 teachers).

15. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Aug 7, 2011

My school hired one k teacher, one first teacher, one third grade teacher and one music teacher. Now they are trying to find someone to take the ED classroom. We have had several new aides added this year also.

16. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Aug 7, 2011

2 new teaching assistants
    2 maybe 3 teachers
    1 librarian
    1 instructional coach

17. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Aug 7, 2011

6 teachers....all first years. Including me! :)

18. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 7, 2011

Only 2, one teacher retired and out Structured Learning person filled her spot in kindergarten and another teacher moved (she was a co-teacher for SpEd). Both new teachers are first year teachers coming into special ed positions.

19. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 7, 2011

We will have 3 new teachers in my school, Grades 3-5. My school district is K-8. We had a total of 8 teachers that retired.

20. Drama Teach

Drama Teach Rookie

Aug 7, 2011

We will have 22 new teachers. Every year we have between 20-30 new teachers.

We tend to have a high turn around.

21. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Aug 7, 2011

I voted with the 1-5 category -- but as far as I know we have none being hired. The only 2 "new" people to my building next year are transfers from other schools.