How many meetings do you have a week?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by BookButterfly, Jan 2, 2016.

1. BookButterfly

BookButterfly Rookie

Jan 2, 2016

Hi. I'm just curious... How many meetings do you generally have a week? And would you say they're generally valuable, or not so much?

Trying to decide if my meeting load is typical and I'm just a princess who needs to suck it up, or if this is as ridiculous as it feels.

Every week, I have a minimum of three mandatory meetings; co-planning, PLT, and some variety of nonsense on Wednesdays. Every two weeks, we have a fourth grade level meeting, bumping it to four meetings just as a default. Add pre/post observations in there, an IEP or two (which we have every week because I teach grade level--we have TWO honors programs, so... yeah), and I'm looking at anywhere from five meetings a week to nine. I have ten off-periods a week.

Is this typical? I'd probably be less resentful if we actually accomplished anything in meetings, but generally my co-workers sit around and complain about students in an obscene way the entire time, which I fundamentally disagree with...

Anyway. Thanks for reading my pseudo-rant. Let me know. =)

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jan 2, 2016

At my current school, I have one regular weekly meeting with the grade-level teachers that I co-teach with, and I have one bi-weekly meeting with the other special education teachers at my school. Occasionally, I'll have an IEP meeting or an informal parent meeting, and I also have my pre- and post-observation meetings as they come up. So, I'd estimate that it comes out to roughly two per week.

At my last school, it felt like so much more! That was especially true when I taught special ed. As a gen ed teacher, it was less but still more than I have as a special ed teacher at my current school. Your meetings definitely sound excessive. Does your union negotiate when or how many meetings are held?

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 2, 2016

About the same as you. Less than half are productive, but some are mandated by law or district policy so there's nothing I can do about it. :(

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2016

One full staff meeting once a month for about 75 minutes. Occasional division meetings or meetings with the Special Ed teacher, but that's about it.

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jan 2, 2016

We meet during planning every day. Every. Single. Day. They really aren't always helpful. I don't see that we need to meet every week for some of the things. We also meet once a month after school.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2016

I have about two meetings per week. One is my PLC meeting, which I actually really enjoy because it's just me and one other person, and we work very well together. I also enjoy the PLCs because we are paid extra for these! The other weekly meeting is either a book study or staff meeting or some other random thing. These meetings last less than 30 minutes and are usually fairly informative and helpful.

8. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 2, 2016

One weekly CLT meeting that is completely useless in every imaginable way, and then informal meetings with my team that are actually useful.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jan 2, 2016

1 grade level meeting plus one committee meeting per week on average. Mostly productive

If you ate finding your meetings to be not helpful
    Or productive
    What are you doing to refocus the group?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2016
  10. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jan 2, 2016

Average is 2 per week. One grade level planning per week and one other, but some weeks it is 4-5 meetings and then the next week just 1. But we just have one planning/conference time per day.

11. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jan 2, 2016

I'm a sped teacher so meetings are a huge part of the job. In an average week I would say I have about 5 meetings pertaining to IEPs (actual IEP meetings, assessment summary conference meetings for upcoming reevals or initials, or referrals). Some lucky weeks I may have only 2 or 3 IEP related meetings, but there are also weeks where I may have 10 or more. The week after break I have 12 meetings scheduled! I also occasionally have problem solving meetings for students that already have IEPs, but it varies. Some weeks I may have none; the week before break we had 4.

We have a team meeting once per week during lunch. Admin attends; apparently the school psych really pushed for this the year before I got to the school because she felt like they needed to know what was going on in sped. While that's a valid point, I feel that their presence often makes our meetings less productive because people don't speak as freely. A lot of times, we've already discussed the issues privately and the team meeting ends up just being a time for us to formerly document it in our notes.

Once per month, we have a full day of RtI meetings. Writing sub plans is a pain, but I'm thankful that these are during the school day and not after school.

I have a leadership team meeting once per month. I HATE these. They are 90 minutes long all after contract time and 90% of the time the content discussed does not pertain to sped in any way. I'm just sitting there wasting my time and listening to the gen ed teachers discuss things.

We have a staff meeting for one hour and 15 mins past contract time twice per month. These are annoying because much of the time is used for PD, and we already do TONS of PD. If they just kept this time to actual "staff meeting" information that needed to be discussed, they would be 20-30 minutes tops. We have early release Fridays twice per month where students leave at 12:30 and we have 3 hours of PD, in addition to about 6 full day PD days per year (not including the days before school starts). I do not understand why we need to do PD at the staff meetings as well. Again, maybe I'm just bitter about this because the content often does not apply to me.

12. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Jan 2, 2016

I have 4 meetings scheduled per week, PLCs. I meet with the lower grade and upper grade teachers twice a week. This doesn't include other meetings I have to have with administration.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jan 2, 2016

Each and every Wednesday is minimum day. Teachers use that time for PLC meetings. Additionally, we have a monthly staff meeting (that is also held on a Wednesday--after the PLC meetings).

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 2, 2016

We have 1 staff meeting every Tuesday, after school, usually an hour and a half. They're very productive. We're getting a WASC visit in the spring, so we also had very lengthy meetings for preparation, once a month.

15. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Jan 2, 2016

One of the greatest things about my school- we have very, very few meetings. We have one staff meeting a month and I have one beginning teacher meeting a month. I meet when needed with my PLC partner, which is usually once every 7 work days or so for about 10 minutes.

That's IT!!!! :raisedhands:

16. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jan 2, 2016

2 weekly meetings: PLC (every Friday) and grade level

Once a month staff meeting

Once a month leadership team meeting

IEP/ RTI meetings as needed, which is frequent for me this year!

17. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

Jan 3, 2016

We have a meeting every morning. Staff meetings, grade level meetings, subject meetings, and PD sessions rotate daily. Friday's we have a "school atmosphere" meeting and they provide breakfast and we share positive things from the week that happened.

18. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 3, 2016

Nothing can be done. The direction/focus is mandated by admin and or the district. Suggestions are not encouraged. Basically we have to wait until the end of the year and fill out a survey.

19. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Jan 3, 2016

One a week except the last week of the month. Occasionally I may be asked to go to an IEP meeting or parent/student meeting under extenuating circumstances.

20. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jan 3, 2016

My administration isn't interested in having productive meetings. They are mostly interested in looking good at principal meetings and have us spend our time making useless but (apparently) nice-looking curriculum maps that make no sense whatsoever to any teacher in the building but that are supposedly big hits at the district level.

bella84 and otterpop like this.
  21. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Jan 3, 2016

My last school had one per MONTH (private school)
    My current one usually has one at least once a week, sometimes twice a week, but no more than 5 per month