How many interviews before a job offer

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by buck8teacher, Jun 20, 2007.

1. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 20, 2007

Good evening! Like all of you, I am a highly qualified teacher applying for and searching for jobs like crazy! I was lucky enough to student teach at a great school (Southwest Ohio/Cincinnati area) and was lucky enough to do a long term sub from Feb. to the end of the year in the same building. Due to decreased enrollment however, I was not offered the position I was subbing for. I subbed for enough days to qualify for benefits under the teacher association's contract and I now have to be interviewed for any job I apply for within the district. It's a high in, which I'm very grateful for. The principal where I worked helped me draft my resume and cover letter, and both have been well reviewed.

I have interviewed for four positions, two in district and two out of district. I know that the market is VERY tight in my area and I should be grateful for my interviews but every phone call I get expresses that "you are a highly qualified, passionate professional..." but yet no job offer. I was just wondering how many interviews some of you went on before you recieved an offer? The principal where I subbed and student taught is even calling principals in district on my behalf for me when I post for jobs internally. Reading some of your posts have made me feel better, but I would just like some feedback on how many interviews some of you went on before being offered a job?

Thanks and keep trucking along!

3. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Jun 20, 2007

I graduated in May of 2005 and have had 13 interviews in public schools and one in a private school since then. I have not been offered any positions in the public schools, but did get the one in the private school, so I went on 14 interviews before my first offer. I'm searching once again in the public schools, though!

4. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 20, 2007

That's a good turnover. I think I've gotten about 7 interviews or so. How many applications did you send out?

5. buck8teacher

buck8teacher Devotee

Jun 20, 2007

The school districts around here are very picky out sending out applications/resumes. They pretty much insist you do it online and then take the gallop/teaching style polls when finished. I've done that for countless districts and sent about fifty packets with a cover letter, resume, references, and my electronic portfolio with my business card in a red folder.

6. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Jun 20, 2007

2.1 interviews. The .1 interview was simply a "get to know you" conversation with the principal. There were really no formal interview questions. HR called me 15 minutes after I left her office with an offer. I'll be teaching 1st grade there in August.

7. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 20, 2007

That's insane! How did you land that one?

8. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Jun 21, 2007

I went on 4 interviews so far this summer and received 1 offer. Luckily it was at my favorite school so I signed a contract.

Good luck!

9. snowyday

snowyday Rookie

Jun 21, 2007

Beth2004 where do you teach?

10. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jun 21, 2007

One. I dropped off my resume at 8 am, got a call from the principal at lunch time, and was interviewed & offered the position at 9:30 the next morning.

That being said, the area that I live in has a shortage of teachers. It sounds like you have a lot of people in your corner... and I'm sure that you'll get a great offer soon.

11. Mrs.Gould

Mrs.Gould Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

I had 2 interviews before I got my first job. Then my position was cut due to enrollment. Since last May ('06) I've had 7 interviews and finally got offered a position.

12. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

I had 1 interview and was hired for my teaching position. In fact, I had lined up 3 more interviews for that week but I was offered the job before I had to attend any more interviews. It was great because I really wanted the school and everything just clicked. Important to note that I work in a very hard to staff district.

13. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 21, 2007

4 interviews, 2 offers. Both offers are in Arizona. Got as faras references in my first interview in CA. She wanted my master teacher. I normally don't list her and usually its fine as I didnt have the best expereince. She didnt give a glowing recommendation while everyone else gave me glowing ones so I didnt get the job.

Hoping CA. (mostly becuase my application is still being processed in CA so I cant even apply for AZ certification yet!...and an easier move.)

14. njeledteacher

njeledteacher Cohort

Jun 21, 2007

How do you know the reference wasn't glowing? I have a feeling that might have happened to me, but I can't be sure. When I called the principal said I was in her top 3 and it was going to come down to personality and who would fit best with the other teachers in that grade.

15. Summersoff

Summersoff Rookie

Jun 21, 2007

ohtheplaces---where in florida do you live? Is there a shortage of teachers in Ft. Myers/Naples area---thats where im going after i graduate in december.

16. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 21, 2007

I've been subbing with the district and she had seemed so sure she was going to hire me, but it all came down to references, so I called her, seeking feedback. SHe felt bad she didnt offer it to me and told me why. She told me that she'd consider me for a long term sub and reconsider a permanent the next year.

Unfortunately, I can't afford to sub a full year in CA...I basically decided if I was going to have to sub another year, I was going to do it in LA (where they pay them well) or Oregon, where I can stay with my family.

17. usfmeghi

usfmeghi Companion

Jun 21, 2007

I'm trying to make a decision. I have offers in AZ and interviews keep coming...

The interview season is really just starting here.. The one I just got back from was a district interview.

S, I don't know if I should take one in AZ or hang on a little longer.

Also my AZ certification...is pending yet as I can't apply for it just yet as my credential in CA is still being processed....sigh...at least in CA I have a county certificate while its held up at the comission...