How Many Days?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Always__Learning, May 6, 2018.

1. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

May 6, 2018

I'm curious what state everyone works in and how many school days are in your calendar year? I'm always surprised at how different the summer vacations are in length.

So, what state and how many days with kids per year?

3. GPC0321

GPC0321 Companion

May 6, 2018

NC. 180 days with kids.

(24 of those days left to go! Hallelujah!)

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

May 6, 2018

NY. 180 days.

It also interests me because some states/ districts look more at the instructional minutes vs. number of school days in a year. I've noticed a huge difference in how the school day is run between my experiences in NY and AZ. In AZ, for example, we had 90 minute math blocks & 120 minute ELA blocks and they were SACRED. You didn't dare to interrupt or move them around or you would be taken out back and shot. This is the reason why you only end up with a pitiful 15 minute recess. The days are also longer because of the CONSTANT early release Wednesdays (WHY?) However, back home (at least) it really doesn't seem like every instructional minute "counts'' (if you know what I mean.) I constantly see huge amounts of time taken up for a 10 minute snack break, movement breaks, and/ or whole group bathroom break. My admin in AZ would have flipped sh** if I did that. They were constantly on us to "maximize instructional time.'' I don't really see that here, which can be a blessing if you are a teacher who does your job because you have freedom, or a curse, if you're one of those teachers who just likes to mess around and waste time. Yes, they do exist. I'm too Type A to just stop and have a nice snack break... especially like an hour after the kids get to school. I do a working snack! When I sub I have to just do it and go with it, but it makes my skin crawl.
    Also, yeah, they have a 40 minute recess here.

It is interesting how different places operate.

5. rpan

rpan Comrade

May 6, 2018

Australia - 200 days - take 10ish days for public holidays. Im a tad jealous about the 180 days!

6. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

May 6, 2018

Ohio. My contract is for 193 days, that included evening Parent Teacher conferences, and start of the year days with luncheons, etc, and end of the year clean up days. We are finished on the 22nd of May. Whoot.

7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

May 6, 2018

I'm in Louisiana. We have 166 student days and 172 contract days. But our schools days are very long. It always amazes me when I hear about students in school for so few hours a day.

8. Always__Learning

Always__Learning Comrade

May 6, 2018

MissCeliaB how long is very long? How many instructional minutes per day?

9. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

May 6, 2018

I'll add our school hours here. Staff Reports 8:10, Children Report 8:35 - 8:50. Children dismissed 3:35, Staff dismissed 3:50.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 6, 2018

Southern Ontario:194 days in the school year; 187 are instructional days.

waterfall likes this.
  11. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Habitué

May 6, 2018

NJ: 180 dys for the kids, 184 for the staff. Our contracted hours are 7:25-2:25. Hours for students are 7:35-2:25.

12. waterfall

waterfall Maven

May 6, 2018

Colorado, but it varies heavily by district. In my district, students are in school for 174 days, teachers are contracted for 183 days (plus 4 additional days if you're a new teacher). The teacher contract day is 8 hours, and the student instructional day is 7 hours. My current district has us starting at the very beginning of August (first day for teachers is usually around August 3rd-5th) and ending around Memorial Day. A previous district started in late August and ended mid-June.

At one of my previous schools, students were in school for 7.5 hours per day. Some neighboring districts have gone to 8 hour days for students in some sort of attempt to "catch up" to the wealthier districts by providing more instructional time.

Other districts, especially those in rural areas, have gone to 4 day weeks with 8.5 hour student days because that's the only way they can afford to keep running the schools. One metro area district just announced that they're doing that next year as well.

Last edited: May 6, 2018
  13. heatherberm

heatherberm Comrade

May 6, 2018

I'm in NY. Kids have 180 days and staff have 185, I think . Maybe 184? I can't remember. We start after Labor Day and go until close to the end of June. Students' last day is 6/21 and staff finish the following day.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  14. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

May 6, 2018

The school year is 1,000 days.

Ok, all jokes aside......
    Students, in my school district, have 175 days of instruction.
    Teachers have about 180 days.

15. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

May 6, 2018

South Carolina. Students have 180 days and teachers have 190. The students' day is 7 hours and teachers have 8 hour days.

16. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

May 6, 2018

Do you think that the attitude of "maximizing instructional time" was beneficial overall to how much students learn? Were students in one place generally higher academically?

We do not have sacred academic blocks. Time is cut and interrupted often. It is frustrating because I feel they need all the time they can get. Our ELA time is not nearly that long, and we often have assemblies during that time.

OP, I'm not sure how many days we have without counting. I think it's around 190.

17. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

May 6, 2018

I would say from an instructional stand point, absolutely YES! If you have an uninterrupted 120 minute ELA block of course you can get more content covered. I just don't like how obsessive and micro managing the admin was as a result. There were times I just wanted to stop and take a breath and enjoy a moment with my kids but I just felt like I couldn't. When you have admin coming into your room and scrutinizing your minutes i.e. one of the coaches questioned why I have classroom jobs and say "it takes too much time for the kids to be the 'paper passer.'' When he taught fourth grade he just had the kids pass them up to him to "save time.'' Ugh! He doesn't realize that by doing classroom jobs you're creating a community, responsibilities, and for many kids really making them feel important. I should point out that this jack a$$ was only a teacher for like three years before he abandoned ship to administration... such a joke. Basically all the veteran teachers (those with 10+ years of experience) just rolled their eyes at him any time he talked. :rofl:
    I like the idea of having protected instructional time, but some admin just get too crazy about it.

18. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 6, 2018

Arkansas--178 student interaction days, 190 teacher contract days. In my district, students are at school 7 hours and 40 minutes and teachers are on duty 8 hours 10 minutes each day.

19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

May 6, 2018

I'm in Kentucky.

Students have to attend 1,062 hours a year. How we choose to get those hours varies by district.

Teachers have to work 185 days.

In my district, there are 5-10 days (depending on the calendar for that year) that teachers can go without students. This year we had 7 of those days. We used some on days when there was still too much snow in rural bus turnarounds, but main roads were fine. We are using one of those days on election day this month and another on memorial day. Usually we are out a couple of weeks before Memorial Day, but due to snow and flu days, we were out around 20 days.

My DH works in a different district, and they don't miss nearly as many days for snow due to the terrain and having non-traditional days for some snow days so the kids can work at home.

20. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

May 6, 2018

OH. We switched to hours, so it's a little different. This year we had like 178 student days, but next year we'll have about ten fewer days.

21. whizkid

whizkid Companion

May 12, 2018

180 with kids, 188 contract days, MS