How many children w/ spec. needs in each class? (Included)

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by MMRbella, Aug 26, 2011.

1. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 26, 2011

Hello all!

This will be my 4th year teaching the inclusive first grade class at my school. I am the general education teacher (I do NOT have a cert in spec ed). I work with a special education teacher for 3 periods a day, and an in-class support professional for 1 period a day.

Looking at my list, I've noticed that at least 4 of my students already have IEPs. At least another 2 or 3 need to be tested this year ASAP, and I heard that there were more new students w/ special needs coming in. I'm a little concerned because it seems like I have a very needy group coming my way, and I think it's really awful that my co-teacher and I are only together a few period a day. I am by myself half the day. How many students with IEPs do I need to have in my class before I am given more support? I don't want to ask my principal or CST because I'm afraid of getting the run-around. I've tried in vain to find the answer to this question, to no avail.

Does anyone have information that they could share about this? I really want to make sure that this year is awesome and that I am able to truly meet the needs of all of my students.

3. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Aug 26, 2011

I don't know your state's specifics, but I'd say you probably won't get more support, regardless of how many identified students.

What is the sp ed teacher doing when she's not with you? I'm guessing that she is working with more than 1 grade level, which means she has to divide her time. When you collaborate, ask her what you need to be doing to accommodate those students.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Aug 27, 2011

The sped teacher and the aide are your support.

You may want to ask the sped teacher for tips on how to help the students when they are not there.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 27, 2011

No matter how many students with special needs you have in your classroom (1 or 17), it's the IEPs that dictate how much support you will get.

One year, I had 10 students on IEPs but only had 3 periods of support during the day. Another year, I had only 2 students with IEPs but I had 1 or 2 people in my class each period.

6. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Aug 28, 2011

::sigh:: It looks like it's going to be a rough year...

7. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Aug 28, 2011

Mopar is right. It depends what's on the IEP. Sometimes a student has an IEP, but the only help they need might be in math. I have had( in the past) several students that were math only...they were on grade level in everything else. Hope your year will be good.