How long would you or do you drive??????

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by anewstart101, Aug 24, 2010.

1. anewstart101

anewstart101 Cohort

Aug 24, 2010

I accepted a new job!

It is a 70 miles commute each way --- in the opposite direction of traffic.

Am I crazy?

Hoping this will be awesome experience and in the future I can get a job closer to home!!!!!

How long do you commute?

How long would you commute????

Hope I am not the only one making a crazy drive

not sure I want to relocate

3. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Aug 24, 2010

I interviewed for a job in a district that was about 50 miles away, including a drive across a mountain, which could be problematic in the winter when it snows.

I was called for an interview in another district that was 70 miles away, but had already gotten a job offer in my local district by then. If I had not received a job offer already, I would have interviewed for that job as well. If I had been lucky enough to be hired, I would probably looked for an apartment there to use during the week.

When I lived in Florida, my home was in Lakeland and my work was in Tampa. That was 45-minute commute each way.

I was fortunate to be offered a job in my district, but if I had gotten a job that required a long commute, I would have taken it.

4. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Aug 24, 2010

My first job I drove roughly an hour each way every day, and stayed with that job for about 6 months...

5. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 24, 2010

I have worked up to about an hour away. As Cerek mentioned, weather sometimes came into play. I too had to drive over the mountain which was tough in snow, and sometimes the weather on the other side of the mountain was very different (sometimes worse, sometimes better). The fog on the mountain could be really bad too... days like that I was already so drained by the time I got to work!

But a job that is 70 miles away is WAY better than no job at all! Besides, maybe you will love it so much that you can relocate soon :)

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Aug 24, 2010

Is it highway or back roads? 70 miles here could mean 2 hrs or 1 hr. I would go about an hr away if I had to. I did move 240 miles for my first job. I stayed up there Sunday night to Friday afternoon and drove home for the weekends.

7. McKennaL

McKennaL Groupie

Aug 24, 2010

I've had 30-40 minute (country driving) away. And looked about an hour (highway driving) this year before I would consider relocation. For those jobs, my plan was to buy a few discounted area hotel stay certificates that I might use if i worked late or in bad weather.

You don't mention if you have family or a home. If not, I would get an apartment in the area. You'll be glad you did.

8. Elocin

Elocin Comrade

Aug 24, 2010

I had an interview for a school about an hour away. Unfortunately in the afternoon with traffic it would have been more of 90 minutes. :-\ That's a little too far.

9. springmac

springmac Companion

Aug 24, 2010

This thread makes me feel a little better about my situation. I interviewed for a job that's 20 miles away. It's 35-40 minutes, as long as traffic isn't out of control. I have driven as far away as 80 miles for a job, but that was in my life before teaching, and the pay was worth the trip.

10. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Aug 24, 2010

I bought a house last year, so it made my commute much longer. Thing is, it wasn't all THAT many miles, but it took FOREVER. I had to go to the complete opposite side of the city. I had to take the 2 highways that are the most notorious for really bad traffic. To go 30 miles it took nearly 2 hours.

I found a transfer much closer to home, so my commute is only 20-30 minutes now (12 miles away). :D

11. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 24, 2010

My travels for this year will be any where between 11 miles to 16 miles, depending on what route I take (thank Google maps!), but it can take up to 30 to 45 minutes to get to school--- there's a lot of slow road (35 mph) and traffic lights, or even worse, a car or truck accident. For me, that's a long time--- my first school was a quick 10 minute drive into town.

But I honestly believe its worth it: I have a job, it seems like a lovely place, and a teacher actually took the time to talk to me at the school and told me she HAPPILY has been driving 45+ minutes to school for years and wouldn't want to change schools.

Hopefully you'll find that to be true as well! :)

12. carlea

carlea Comrade

Aug 24, 2010

My commute takes about an hour and 15 minutes - it's 40 miles. Unfortunately I'm going with traffic right when everyone else is but I pay to take the toll road everyday (10 miles of usually very little traffic). I've been doing this commute for 5 years - audiobooks are my friends! :)

13. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 24, 2010

My current commute is about 45 mins (31.5 miles each way). My first job was over an hour away, but traffic wasn't bad because we started so early. I mostly saw cows on that drive :)

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Aug 24, 2010

I drove 45 minutes to work each way before I moved. I have recently applied for jobs up to an hour and 15 minutes away. If its a good job regarding pay and benefits then I wouldn't mind the commute.

15. flutetoot

flutetoot Companion

Aug 24, 2010

I just took a part-time teaching job that is 35 miles one way (all back roads) I had to get a new car that had better gas mileage. The alternative, though, is no job - I've been looking for 4 years now.

16. SunnyReader

SunnyReader Companion

Aug 24, 2010

belt pkwy?

17. Rachael84

Rachael84 Rookie

Aug 24, 2010

No, I was going from central Nassau county to the southwest Bronx; taking the Cross island pkwy and the Cross Bronx to the 2nd to last exit in the Bronx. Such a nightmare!! So glad I no longer have that commute.

18. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 24, 2010

I was going to guess the Cross Bronx.

I have NEVER Been on that road and not gotten stuck in traffic!!!

9 pm, 3 am, it doesn't matter-- it's always backed up!!!

The Belt is a close second.

19. heymiss

heymiss Comrade

Aug 24, 2010

I drive 40 minutes each way on country roads. I would be willing to relocate, but my boyfriend works 40 minutes away in the opposite direction so we're kind of stuck.

20. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 24, 2010

I just bought a house and now my drive is about 25 minutes of rush hour traffic. In the winter, it will be anywhere from 1-2 hours.... I have to travel on the worst (and deadliest) highway in order to get to work. It is going to be rough since I used to live about 3 minutes from the school.

21. txhotrod

txhotrod Rookie

Aug 24, 2010

The thing to think about that I have not heard yet is also wear and tear on your car vs. pay....i applied to to jobs that would be atleast an hour drive and my husband said NO WAY bc they were $15000 less than local districts. so the cost of gas and maint. would not be worth it...and time is a commodity just like anything else ..... would you consider moving? then maybe so it might be worth it but if like me that is not an option...dont do it