How long is it normal to be sore for after getting shots?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TennisPlayer, Mar 9, 2012.

1. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 9, 2012

Yesterday I got a flu shot in one arm and the tdap in the other arm since my brother and his wife requested immediate family get done so we can be around their newborn without them worrying.

Anyways, last year I just got a flu shot but I don't remember how long my arm was sore for. I don't have any bruises but both of my upper arms feel more sore today than yesterday and it hurt to get dressed (we were going to go clothes shopping and I said let's try for tomorrow because I didn't want to be saying "ow!" every time I put one new clothes to try out hehe...

How long is it normal to be sore for after shots if anyone has had them recently:)?

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Fanatic

Mar 9, 2012

I was sore for about three days each time when I was on Depo. I was also a big wuss and insisted on getting it in my arm (instead of my behind). There wasn't a whole of extra muscle/fat in my shoulder, so I stayed sore longer than normal.

4. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 9, 2012

My husband is pretty sore today too and he just had the tdap in one arm...I had one in each arm yesterday so every time I lift my arm or just "resting" I hurt today! Maybe I'll take an ibuprofen.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Fanatic

Mar 9, 2012

Try a warm compress, too.

6. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 9, 2012

Okay...thanks.

Hopefully we'll both feel better tomorrow to go clothes shopping!

7. a2z

a2z Phenom

Mar 9, 2012

I remember days of soreness after tdap. I even got a fever from it. Yuck! You do need to use it to work the soreness out though.

Feel better. Take that Ibuprofen.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2012

For 15 years in the Air Force, I had to get a cholera shot every six months.

If the muscles in your arm tensed up when you took the shot, then they may have gotten torn a little. Also, if you didn't move the arm much immediately afterwards, it can also be very sore.

Next time, try wiggling your fingers a little as you are getting the shot. This will somehow cause the muscles to relax, reducing the tearing factor.

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Fanatic

Mar 10, 2012

I was going to say this exactly.

10. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 10, 2012

I always take with me a small jar of Mentholated cream and put it on the injection site as soon as possible. I don't know if it is effective or placebo, but it works for me.

11. TennisPlayer

TennisPlayer Cohort

Mar 10, 2012

Well I took one ibuprofen last night and one this morning. i had my shots Thursday afternoon. If I still feel sore and uncomfortable getting dressed thrn we will have to change plans instead of clothes shopping becausee that wouldnt be fun if I still hurt. hopefully as the day goes on and a shower and ice itll feel better. yesterday it hurt every movement I made so hoping today is better since I have two sore arms!

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Mar 10, 2012

When I got the Guardasil shots, round 2 was so bad my arm hurt for a WEEK. The first day it was so bad I could barely drive my manual car home.

Sometimes they put it in just right (wrong) so that it hits something and hurts like a mofo. Keep using your arm, evidently that's supposed to help!

13. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Mar 10, 2012

My hepatitis shot hurt pretty bad for 3-4 days. The nurse told me to wait 1 day then vacuum my house :) Apparently it helps to move around on the 2nd day.