How long does it take you to set up your room?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by LMichele, Jul 31, 2012.

1. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 31, 2012

I was hired in March & for the remainder of the year I shared a room (I basically just had a desk, two drawer file cabinet & one shelf bookcase). In September I am moving into my own room. When I left in June, all of the "junk" that was being stored in there was still being moved out, and the furniture I had ordered (easel, kidney bean table, bookshelves) were not set up yet since all of the old furniture hadn't been moved out.

How long does it typically take you to set up your room? My room isn't a full size room, but everything needs to be set up. I also have three large bulletin boards to get done, as well as moving in all of my stuff (and it seems like so much!)

I'm going in with my BF on Thursday for a few hours to move my stuff in. If my furniture is set up, I'm planning on going back Friday to set up. Do you think a day is OK?

3. lbradley1718

lbradley1718 Comrade

Jul 31, 2012

It typically takes me 2 entire days.

4. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Jul 31, 2012

Honestly, I start going in for an hour here and there about 2-3 weeks before school starts back to do random things like code my class library, organize cabinets, etc., then probably two full days of work.

BUT, one year I was moved to a different school 3 weeks after school had started due to enrollment numbers and I set up my classroom from scratch in one day...so it's possible.

5. TerriInCa

TerriInCa Companion

Jul 31, 2012

I am starting at a new school this fall. So far I have put in 1 full day to move my things there & put stuff where I want it. 1 full day hanging things on the walls.

I figure I need 1 more full day to get the desks ready for students (name plates, numbers, distribute books, set up community supplies).

And 1 full day to get all my copies made and organized for the first week of school. (We are required to do that 1 week before school starts)

I live over an hour away, so I try to get as much done as possible when I am there. I did too much yesterday hanging stuff up and my muscles are paying the price today.

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 31, 2012

If it was a brand new room, it would take me 4-5 6 hour days.

7. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Jul 31, 2012

Man, I am so thankful that I now have a slave...I mean...full year student teaching intern to help with a lot of the menial chores! It means I can be doing something I usually wouldn't be able to while she labels desks and cuts out stuff and hangs posters, etc.

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jul 31, 2012

It definitely takes longer in a new room. It took me a couple of weeks last year, but I also had a lot of junk to sort through from the previous teacher. This year I had most of it done in 2 full days.

9. Curiouscat

Curiouscat Comrade

Jul 31, 2012

Depends on how much socializing I do!:D

10. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jul 31, 2012

Last year it took me 3 full days, but it was my first year and I have a TON of bulletin boards. This year I'm hoping 2 will be enough, it will be my co-teacher and I this year, so of course that will help. Plus I already know where I want all the furniture to go. Last year it took me half a day just to figure that out.

11. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 31, 2012

Thanks everyone!

I don't have too much to do since my room is smaller. I have a large bookshelf, three smaller ones, a storage cabinet, my desk, a group table and two other tables. It's mostly decorating, setting up my library, and organizing. Before I left I just put things wherever I had room for them to get them out of the way for the custodians to clean over the summer, so I need to find spaces for everything.

12. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Jul 31, 2012

It takes me about two days to set up my high school classroom. Most of that time is spent just taking out materials that I locked up over the summer! I also try to get my copying done before the rest of the teachers get back so I'm not waiting in line at the copier!

13. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Jul 31, 2012

Well... it depends on how much yakking I do. Typically, I can get my room done in 10-15hrs to include putting away all of the copies made for the year. BUT... this year, it'll take me a bit longer as I am wanting to do a deep purge so I am thinking that I will need to double that amount. I'm going in for a couple hours tomorrow night. After that, I will be working here and there for the next couple of weeks.

When I was hired, I took over for a teacher that was bailing after 8 weeks in the classroom. As she took things off the walls, I put new stuff up. I had a HUGE classroom for a 4/5 combo. I worked for most of a Saturday and part of the day on Sunday. After that, I was ready to rock! :)

Good luck... I love setting up my classroom!

14. Cateacher2b

Cateacher2b Companion

Jul 31, 2012

Yesterday was the first day that I could get into my new room. Everyone was switched to a new room this year. Yesterday, I spent 3 hours unpacking boxes abd moving furniture around. Today I went in for 3 hours and got my calender up, my alphabet strips up, class rules up. and cleaned the white boards. Tomorrow I might go in for 3 more hours and get things done. I would like to be done this week so next week I can focus on getting assessments, lesson plans, etc. done.

15. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jul 31, 2012

I have put in about 12 hours so far and I'm mostly finished. Lol

16. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Jul 31, 2012

I didn't think of making copies. I'm working with a literacy program that will need materials printed off the website & copies eventually when I know how many students I'll have. I can start printing and organizing the stuff in a binder.

I'm going in this week to drop something off. Since it's about a 40 minute drive, I'll bring some stuff with me and see what I can get down so I'm not just there for 5 minutes.

17. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 31, 2012

This year it took me about 3 1/2 days since I had to unpack all of my things since I'm in a new classroom. One year I'd like to stay in my room so that I don't have to start from scratch.

18. COMrs.S

COMrs.S Rookie

Jul 31, 2012

My very first year, it took a really long time. A few hours a day for 3-4 weeks. The last three years set-up was pretty easy...about a week of 6 hour days. This year...I moved to a new school and new grade level. I'm in the middle of setting up my room and it is taking FOREVER. I'm only 10 minutes away so, I don't mind swinging by to do a few things. The teacher that was there before me literally threw everything into a cabinet. :eek: So, I have been decluttering, organizing, and getting rid of stuff that is super old! I've been going in almost everyday since July 16th for about 3-4 hours at a time (with a few breaks where I don't go in at all). I'm finally starting to see things come together! :D

19. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 31, 2012

1 1/2 to 2 days depending on who else is in the building. I already have my worksheets, projects ready to go so it's just a matter of setting up the desks, tables, and unloading the cubbies. I am having a student who I had last year come in and help me.

20. First School

First School Rookie

Aug 1, 2012

This takes almost two to three days. We spent most time to manage bookshelf and the furniture. This is the most important also to set these things in right place. But I love to do this.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2012

Not long...I did an hour on Monday-I unwrapped everything I had covered, moved a few furniture items around.

It's raining this morning...I might go put my book baskets out, organize my desk...