how long do you stay out with a cold?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by orangepurple, Nov 17, 2013.

1. orangepurple

orangepurple Companion

Nov 17, 2013

I had been doing really well at avoiding colds for the last few years--but now I am sick. I'm obviously not OK to go in tomorrow, but how long do you usually stay home?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2013

I usually go in unless it's bronchitis or I'm throwing up or am recovering from surgery.

Then again, I have 3 kids-- I really don't want to use days for ME unless I have no choice. And even before I had kids, I've always hated calling in sick unless I really have no choice.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2013

I've never been out sick for more than one day at a time.

5. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 17, 2013

I was sick earlier this year and took two days off. It was perfect.

Last year I was very, very sick. Very sick. This year I have decided that I'm going to do everything in my power to avoid getting that sick again, even if it means taking days off for an illness that might not have warranted days off before. I would rather take a day or two off and be back on my feet after that time than try to power through, get worse, and end up out for a week or more.

6. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Nov 17, 2013

Normally I take off one day. However, a few years ago I had a really bad ear infection combined with a cold that left me near deaf for two weeks (I had to watch television with captions) so I took off three days before Spring Break. Luckily by the time school was back in session I felt much better.

I don't think I've ever taken off two days in a row.

7. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Nov 17, 2013

I think you have to take it day by day--see how you feel the next day.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Fanatic

Nov 17, 2013

The most I've taken is 2 days, but they weren't consecutive. I stayed home 1 day, tried to teach the next day and then took the following day as well.

I go unless I'm absolutely a mess, so I take 1-2 sick days per year.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Nov 17, 2013

If I'm not running fever I go, not because I'm a martyr, but I'd rather go sick than prepare for a sub! Lol

10. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Nov 17, 2013

I don't take off for colds. I get bronchitis about every other year (it's amazingly predictable...) so I'll take off for that. And I would for flu/strep, etc but not for colds. I try to save as much sick time as I can (plus I take "mental health" days occasionally).

11. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Nov 17, 2013

I have mild asthma that gets a lot worse if I get a chest cold and is very aggravated by talking. In those situations, I've taken up to 3 days off in a row. Luckily that's only happened twice in my 6 years teaching.

I did also have the flu once and ended up taking a whole week. It was purely awful!!!

But anyway, when deciding how much to take, I go day by day and see how I feel. I take off without regret when legitimately needed. The kids will survive just fine without us for 1 (or 2, or 3...) days.

12. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Enthusiast

Nov 17, 2013

:yeahthat:

Me, too. I'll just stay no longer than contracted time and come home and sleep.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Nov 17, 2013

I only take off for vomiting. I can work through anything else.

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Aficionado

Nov 17, 2013

I always go in if I feel that I can somehow make it through the day. If I can't, then I'm just out 1 day. It's so much harder telling someone what to do than just doing it yourself, so it's almost not worth it. We have very few subs, and there is really just 1 or 2 our P is happy with, so if I'm out, there's a chance I return to a disaster.

On the positive note though, when I'm sick or the kids know that something is off (I'm awfully tired, etc) they're usually really good, bless their heart :) So I just suffer through if I have to.

15. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Aficionado

Nov 17, 2013

I also go in unless I'm running a fever. It takes longer, and is more stressful, for me to be out than for me to just truck through. As an added bonus, the kids usually can tell that I'm not feeling great and give their best behavior. Last year, one little girl could tell I wasn't feeling well... when my class switched for social studies, she asked my teammate if she could call her mom... long story short, I had a nice, hot cup of chicken soup waiting for me at lunch time (and a parent eager for me to clarify that I was not running a fever, and that I had checked it repeatedly:) )

16. teachart

teachart Comrade

Nov 17, 2013

I took 2 days off for strep, first day I went to urgent care and the second day so I would have a full day of antibiotics in my system. I see all the kids and I didn't want to spread the germs. I should have taken 3 days off but I only get 8 sick days.

17. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Nov 17, 2013

I wouldn't take off for a cold. I have sinus issues and will occasionally lose my voice. If that happens I take a day off because I figure I'm not really helping the students any in that condition anyway. I get a lot of sleep and that seems to help.

As others mentioned, for me it's more hassle to be out and deal with sub plans than to take a day off.

18. eternalsaudade

eternalsaudade Companion

Nov 17, 2013

Like a lot of others here, I don't generally take off for colds. I usually go in unless I have flu-like symptoms. I might take off for a very bad cough, but it has never been necessary. This is mostly out of guilt, I feel awful taking days off even when I am deathly ill.

I think it really depends on you, though. If you're not feeling up to going in, don't go. No good for you or the students if you are miserable all day.

19. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Nov 17, 2013

The subs they give me are insanely terrible. I not only have to prep for a sub, but do extra work to recover the day after. I usually go in unless I'm on my deathbed.

20. ready2learn

ready2learn Companion

Nov 17, 2013

I rarely take off for a cold but at times have taken off a day.

I remember my first year teaching I got so many colds I could tell you what day I would be feeling better depending on what day I started feeling symptoms. That year when January rolled around and I hadn't been out yet, I got sick on a Monday. I knew without taking a day off that this would mean I would be sick the whole week. It wasn't worth it to me and I took the day.

21. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Nov 17, 2013

I'd be pretty annoyed if my students took off every time they got a little cold. Fever, flu, vomiting, I think everyone pretty universally said they'd stay home, but a cold? I'd expect my kids to cart around some tissues and hand sanitizer and suck it up for a minor bug. Cold season is nearly constant around here.