How long did it take to get word you got the job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by linswin23, Apr 26, 2018.

1. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

May 15, 2018

No; I'm in a classified position this year because I left and came back. Since I'll be moving into a certified position next year, it was a formality that had to be done in order to switch me over. I've interviewed with my principal three times now lol.

2. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

May 15, 2018

My first job, I pretty much had the job before I ever interviewed. The interview was just a formality. My second and current position, I was offered the job before the interview was over. BTW that interview was in a Denny's. Long story short I was from out of town and the principal was going to be in my town on his way home from active duty stuff for the military. So we met at the Denny's and well the rest is history.

3. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

May 15, 2018

I couldn't message you, but let me know if I can answer any questions! Good luck with the job search!

4. newteacherprobs

newteacherprobs New Member

May 19, 2018

I got a jon about a month after my very first interview. At the end of the interview the principal told me they planned on making the decision by the following monday (I interviewed on a tues). The monday came and passed and I didnt hear from them so I assummed I had not gotten the job and was beating myself up about it and stressed about finding a job again. About 2 weeks later I got a call asking me to come back in and I was offered the job. They were doing some rearranging of teachers and the program itself and as a result werent able to make the decision when they had planned to. So if you dont hear back in the timeframe they originally give you dont hesitate to reach out! You never know what may be going on internally and it can give you some peace of mind.

5. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

May 19, 2018

Wow newteacherprobs, you just brightened up my dimming light. Lol. That is exactly what happened to me: they said they’d let me know this week if they wanted me for a 2nd interview and I haven’t heard a thing :( I’m beating myself up thinking I wasn’t good enough or I turned them off in some way but maybe is something going on..?

You say to reach out to them but I feel like I’m bothering them! Should I just wait another week and see what happens or email them this week and just see what they say...?

6. pennyandme

pennyandme Rookie

May 27, 2018

Both jobs I've gotten have called me while I was still in the car on the way home. The first one they were on a time crunch/school started the next day and the second was a job fair.

7. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

May 29, 2018

Well, my delay is what I thought...I didn’t get the job. I emailed the school a few days ago and they said they went with other applicants. At least I have my answer. Just so disgusted and discouraged.

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  8. pommom

pommom Comrade

May 30, 2018

I love it when they say they will contact us to let us know either way. I haven't heard anything in 2 weeks. I called the secretary, and she says they selected a candidate a week ago, and sorry for forgetting to contact me. Admin should not say it if they don't mean it.

9. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

May 30, 2018

I completely agree! If you say it, please follow through on your word or don’t say anything.

10. whizkid

whizkid Companion

Jun 9, 2018

Same day.

11. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 1, 2018

This thread is a bit old... I could use some advice ( my posting fits the thread title)
    I interviewed for a position a week ago. They said they would make a decision in a day. A teaching mentor texted me that afternoon saying that principal just called him asking about me. He said he gave me a glowing review. Weird thing is, I didnt list him as a reference. I went through my application again, and I don't know where she got his information. I am kinda paranoid whoelse the principal called.
    The school also told me that only HR can extend an official offer. It has been a full week since my interview and principal calling my referances. It wouldnt take this long to recieve an offer if I am selected, right?

12. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 1, 2018

It could take that long, especially in the summer, around a holiday. I once interviewed on a Monday and didn’t hear until Friday, but that was during the school year for a mid-year opening. I can see how it might take longer this time of year.

Are you sure it was the same principal you interviewed with who called about you? Also, did you list the school even if not the administrator himself? It’s possible that they just know each other. Administrator circles are often small. Is there any chance any of your other references may have said something negative about you?

13. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 1, 2018

That's what I am paranoid about. Someone could have said a negative comment, and I don't know who she called since she had contacts not in my references. Yes, it was the same school. My one reference confirmed it. I am going to call HR tomorrow. Maybe they can tell me if I was recomended or not.

14. pommom

pommom Comrade

Jul 2, 2018

Ahh, yes they called me today. I accepted the position. Your right, they said they are behind in their call list. Finally I have a sped position :)

bella84 likes this.
  15. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Jul 2, 2018

Awesome news!! Congratulations!

pommom likes this.
  16. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 2, 2018

It seems like so many job hunters worry themselves to death after interviewing and not receiving any word in a timely manner. Forget about "bothering" anyone or being seen as a pest - emails often go unanswered too! Unless you're too afraid of being rejected, just pick up the phone - early in the morning - and ask to speak to the personnel director (their secretary may not have up-to-date info). Don't beat around the bush - simply ask what your status is relative to the position you interviewed for. If appropriate, ask when you can expect to receive a definitive answer one way or the other. Sometimes job hunters have to exercise some assertiveness towards the end of the hiring process.