How long did it take to get word you got the job?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by linswin23, Apr 26, 2018.

1. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Apr 26, 2018

Hi everyone,
    I had an interview this morning and I felt as if I did well. Also, I felt a good connection with the panel who interviewed me. In the end, the principal said he would be checking references and ensured he had the right contact info for me. I'm really hoping I've got this in the bag.

How long did the school/district wait until letting you know you were the one?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  3. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 26, 2018

For two of my jobs, I was notified the same day. For the other, it took over a week, but that's only because we were on spring break at the time and two of my references were out of the country. The principal called me a few days after the interview to let me know that I was the top candidate, but that she was having difficulty contacting my references.

Last time I was job hunting, I did two interviews on a Friday that I thought went extremely well. I was offered my current position a couple of hours after the interview. The other school told me they'd let me know by Tuesday of the following week. After taking a day to consider it, I decided I didn't want that job more than my current position, so I decided not to wait for the other school's decision. That P called me on Monday afternoon and offered me that position.

Overall, unless I was told something different about the hiring timeline, I generally assumed if I hadn't heard anything after three days that I didn't get the position. Did you ask when you should expect to hear something by?

linswin23 likes this.
  4. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

Apr 26, 2018

No. I should have asked!!! :(

5. pommom

pommom Comrade

Apr 27, 2018

I would say 5 business days is typical. My first job took 3 days to call me. My second one took 1 day.
    Not to discourage you, but I have had principals make sure they had good references from me before I left, and I still did not get the job. Yes, I was 100% sure I had good references.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 27, 2018

My first teaching job, I interviewed once in June and again in early July. Didn't hear anything until I was emailed about orientation in mid-August. Hey, I didn't have anything better to do that day.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Apr 27, 2018

For my current job it took about 4 hours for them to call me after my interview was over.

8. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

Apr 27, 2018

I got the offer for my job last year the Monday after my Thursday interview. For my current job (which, granted, started mid year so was a little different), the whole process took a couple months. I interviewed and then didn't hear anything for about a month, and then started like 3 weeks later.

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

Apr 27, 2018

I got the job the same day, interestingly enough. I taught two lessons during my interview with the principal, head of school, and math department chair present and they were all very impressed. They asked when I could start and had the contract drawn up shortly after deliberating in private.

10. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Devotee

Apr 27, 2018

For some, at the end of the interview,
    For others, it was by the end of the day,
    For one, they called while I was driving home from the interview :p
    For others, it was a few days.

Ok, it seems like I've had a lot of jobs, but I obviously didn't accept all of them :)

Zelda~* and futuremathsprof like this.
  11. Bibliophile

Bibliophile Companion

Apr 28, 2018

I have had a bit of everything.

I had an offer before I had been in the interview room for 5 minutes- I actually took it as a red flag and turn them down. It was really awkward to go through another 10 minutes of interview when all I could concentrate on was the warning bells, They hadn't even asked me any real questions, just talked about their program and gave me an offer and then asked me question like they didnt care about my answers, hat screams of poor leadership where teachers are cannon fodder.

I had a same day offer when I first started out.

I had an offer the Monday following a Friday interview.

My current school gave me an offer after a week, I was also being hired by the district, not by a school so the offer was made by HR who didn't have many details for me. It all worked out in the end and I got my first choice school.

I also heard back from a school that had done a job fair with 3 rounds of interviews almost a full 3 weeks later. Sorry but, after that much time I had accepted another position. I made it through the dwindling candidate pool to the end but when I didnt hear back after a week I moved on.

You just never know, it depends on the district hiring process and how HR works and how long it takes them to contact your refferences.

12. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Apr 29, 2018

I don't think there is any rule. I think it depends on the area, the school, and the time of year.

My first job offer came late summer. I was offered the job, pending reference checks, before I left the building. I was interviewed and sent back to the outer office. After about 5 minutes I was called back to the principal's office and told they just tried contacting my references and because of the time of year no one answered. They wanted to offer me the job and would if my references checked out.

My current job I heard back from officially almost 2 months after I interviewed. I interviewed mid-March and hired mid-May. The principal contacted me about the job before it was posted. It was for a new position that the board had yet to approve. During the interview they told me to contact them before accepting another offer. I was in contact with them through the two months, but it took that long to get any offer. That same year I had another offer that came about a month and a half after the interview. The school knew they had some teachers looking to leave and had to wait for someone to resign to be able to hire me. I was in contact with the school during that time and they kept telling me to be patient.

13. linswin23

linswin23 Cohort

May 1, 2018

I GOT THE JOB!!! :)

14. lilly74

lilly74 New Member

May 14, 2018

Hi, Ready2learn!
    I am currently applying for teaching jobs in SC, so this is helpful, thank you! If you have any advice or words of wisdom, I would love to hear it! Feel free to private message me (if that is possible, lol)! Thanks!

15. readingrules12

readingrules12 Fanatic

May 14, 2018

1st teaching job=5 days
    2nd teaching job=2 days
    3rd teaching job=1 day
    4th teaching job=same day

16. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

May 15, 2018

I have a new “record” for a job offer for me; i got the offer before the interview lol. Granted, it was an interview for a different position within my current school, so the whole interview was really a formality, but still. I was expecting an actual interview since my P had previously told me that I’d be staying in my current position for another year, but nope!

17. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Groupie

May 15, 2018

What was the job position?

18. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

May 15, 2018

Currently I'm a reading interventionist; next year I'll be teaching 1st grade so the offer was for that.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  19. nklauste

nklauste Comrade

May 15, 2018

I've had anywhere from leaving the interview knowing I got the position to finding out 2.5 months later. It all depends on the administrator.

20. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 15, 2018

Is it common to interview for another position at the same school? Here, we can be moved into any available position that we have the qualifications for.

21. pommom

pommom Comrade

May 15, 2018

I went to an interview on Friday. As I was walking out, there were 2 people waiting to be interviewed. The principal told me he should make his decision in about a week, and that he was still interviewing the next couple of days, but I would be notified regardless. Sheesh, I have a lot of competition for this position....