How long before calls for interviews?

Discussion in 'Private School Teachers' started by teacher16, Jun 29, 2016.

1. teacher16

teacher16 Rookie

Jun 29, 2016

Hi!

I was just wondering if anyone is job searching with private schools and how’s it going? I have been applying to private Christian schools but have not received any calls for interviews yet. School starts in August and I am hoping to hear something soon!

3. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 29, 2016

My district will usually call within a couple days after the required posting time has expired. I know that with private schools where there isn't a legal requirement to post for a certain length of time, this can be more variable. Are you applying to both public and private schools to increase your chances of finding a position?

4. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Jun 29, 2016

When did they post the positions? That is your best indicator of when they will set up interviews -- there is usually quick turn around time from the time it is posted to the time when they interview. Are you certified as a teacher in your state? Generally, most private schools only consider fully certified candidates, and while they will consider others of different denominations, preference is usually given to those who belong to that denomination and who are active participants in their faith.

If you just randomly sent them to private schools, you will probably only hear back if they have an opening, and if you meet the "desired skill set" they are looking for. I know in my private school, we sometimes go years without a teaching opening -- it is very rare for someone to leave unless they are retiring.

Good luck in your job search.

-Rain

5. teacher16

teacher16 Rookie

Jul 5, 2016

Thanks for the responses. I am not certified with the state for public schools but I do have a temporary certification for private Christian schools. I did take my FACS Praxis in June and passed and take my VCLA on Saturday. I have to do those before being admitted to the career switcher program.

I have applied to public schools even though I am not certified. I have applied for teacher assistant positions as well.

The Christian school I applied is non-denominational.

I just sent an email to the private school where I really want to work. I was previously told that they would contact me over the summer. School starts next month and I haven’t heard anything so as much as I didn’t want to feel like a bother or annoying I sent it. The teacher and teacher assistant postings that were there before are gone now. I just hope I get a call.

6. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jul 5, 2016

If the postings are gone, the jobs are likely filled. Unfortunately, I think you are unlikely to hear back regarding the positions you are not certified for (public school). I'm not sure about the requirements for a teaching assistant where you are. Could you substitute teach? I would look into that and keep looking for currently listed openings to apply to.

7. miss-m

miss-m Devotee

Jul 5, 2016

The job posting being gone usually means it's been filled, but I think with private schools that's not always the case. I applied for a faculty assistant position at a private school near me, the job disappeared, and I got called for an interview two months after I applied (after I'd already accepted a better position haha). Some schools are just REALLY slow with hiring and getting calls out, so I wouldn't lose hope completely, but I would also say keep applying and looking because it's also very possible the position has been filled.

Also, some people here in other threads have mentioned stories of people getting hired the DAY BEFORE school starts, so last minute hiring decisions are a thing.

8. teacher16

teacher16 Rookie

Jul 5, 2016

So after responding earlier I got a phone call for an interview! It's for a kindergarten teacher at a Title I school. I was so surprised to get the call because I'm not certified but I went back and looked at the job posting and it says comparable experience and training may be substituted for minimum qualifications so I guess that's how I was able to get an interview.

miss-m likes this.
  9. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 5, 2016

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  10. teacher16

teacher16 Rookie

Jul 8, 2016

I updated about my interview under the elementary forum. I have an interview on Monday for a special ed assistant with a public school.