How long are your recesses?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2018

No recess :(

2. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Dec 19, 2018

About the norm - 6.5 hours? They're spread out throughout the day. It may change in the future when we move into a new building, and I'll admit to occasionally preferring just two recesses to gain back some instructional time, but the more I think about it, the more I love it. They get regular breaks, and I virtually never have to deal with attention issues!

3. Unetheladyteacher

Unetheladyteacher Rookie

Dec 23, 2018

I think we get about one thirty minute recess a day, and some of the specials teachers become recess monitors during recess. Our building is K-6 (small district), and as you get older you get less recess. I think the sixth grade only gets one day of recess per week or something because we had to figure out how to use too few specials teachers to instruct our students.

4. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Dec 25, 2018

Update: The admin at my high school just sent out an email letting staff members know that a change in the bell schedule will go into effect on January 7th when we return to work. Once a week, my lunch period will be 1 hour long. The other days will be 50 minutes long.

I am quite pleased.

otterpop likes this.
  5. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Dec 25, 2018

That's great! Where's the time coming from? Did classes get shortened?

futuremathsprof likes this.
  6. futuremathsprof

Dec 25, 2018

We have a short day one day a week already, so they just restructured the schedule by adjusting the amount of time students have during their passing periods (they removed one to two minutes, depending on the day, for certain passing times and added them to lunch period as students were saying they didn’t have enough time for lunch, especially students who went off campus for their lunch).

Before, I had a 45-minute lunch for four days a week and now I have a 50-minute lunch for those four same days. And where I would normally have a 50-minute lunch on short days I now have an hour.

I’m not complaining, haha!

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
  7. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Dec 25, 2018

And now they'll be saying that can't get to class on time because passing time isn't long enough......

8. futuremathsprof

Dec 25, 2018

Eh, I don’t think so because the students have been asking for this for a long time and the admin finally acquiesced. They now have 4-minute passing periods, on average, instead of 5-minute ones. Should be fine, I think.

otterpop likes this.