How long are your recesses?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Backroads, Oct 9, 2018.

1. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 10, 2018

We have one thirty minute recess after their 30 minute lunch.

2. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2018

My first year the kids got 20 minutes after lunch, but we could also use Friday's as an extra recess because we didn't have specials those days. I --as a first year teacher -- wanted to develop a relationship with my kids and build community so I pretty much ALWAYS took the extra recess unless we needed it for science or something. My team, who were all about "business,'' never did. Though their students told my students how "lucky'' and "jealous'' they were and some wished they were in my class. I mean my kids were hard workers and well behaved so I didn't feel embarrassed about doing it even when my team members tried to shame me. I worked with one teacher in particular who pretty much believed in work 100% and never really had fun with her kids. LAME! :(

My second year, we had a pitiful 15 minutes of recess and some of it was spent walking from the cafeteria to the playground. It was pathetic and even though I had a wild group of kids, they still needed the play time. And we couldn't give them any extra recess... the fourth grade teacher always did, and we--as a school -- got a nasty gram email telling us to stick to the schedule and that it was a "directive from administration.'' He totally ignored it and still gave them extra recess as he believed that play was important (and it totally is!)

^ That was in Arizona. Both schools had stupid schedules.

Flash forward to NOW where I'm subbing, back home in NY, and the students get 30-40 minutes of recess a day.
    It's quite a refreshing change.

I feel really bad for the kids who attend schools who are run by people who don't totally get it. And that doesn't just include recess, but specials, and PLAY time too! Play is so important especially in K-2 and that is pretty much heavily micromanaged as well. My friend, a first grade teacher, had her students bring and hide their toys to class. They could play with them, but she trained them to hide them if anybody ever came to the door. Like they're criminals doing something wrong? It's pathetic. She's a fantastic teacher and I've been in her room enough to know she's TEACHING and those kids are learning. It's not like it's just play time all day long.

It just goes back to, let teachers do their jobs! We're supposedly the trained professionals. Well... treat us as such!

3. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2018

Read aloud before the next instructional block or activity! That's what I used to do! It helped me and I had a wild / crazy bunch of rugrats.

:toofunny:

4. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Oct 11, 2018

I don't know, but if they read this book and really soaked up the info, we wouldn't have the problems we do.

https://www.amazon.com/Brain-Based-Learning-New-Paradigm-Teaching/dp/1412962560

I suppose the default / cliched answer is "if students are playing, they're not in the classroom getting ready for the tests!" And we all know how important they are! :D

otterpop likes this.
  5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 11, 2018

After a recent state audit we were told to increase instructional time. We don't have a set recess to begin with so I'm not sure how we'd add it in :(

6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Oct 11, 2018

Wow! An hour lunch?! Incredible.

MrsC and otterpop like this.
  7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Oct 11, 2018

Wait, I’m confused. If you have no recess, then how can you increase instructional time without increasing the length of the school day? Am I interpreting your post correctly?

otterpop likes this.
  8. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 11, 2018

We all--kids and staff--need to have that down time. We are able to take advantage of this block for clubs, sport team practices, etc.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  9. Lei286

Lei286 Rookie

Oct 17, 2018 at 6:52 PM

10 MINUTES?! WHERE DO YOU TEACH? PRISON?!
    I thought my one 25 minute recess was bad.

10. miss-m

miss-m Habitué

Oct 17, 2018 at 8:11 PM

I don't know a single teacher who actually does 10 minutes. Admin didn't even tell us that was the official time limit -- we were told 15 minutes (which is not much better!), and I ignore even that to push it to 20. Kids need to run. If my first graders can run full speed for a solid 20 minutes without being worn out, they need more time to play.

11. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Oct 18, 2018 at 6:37 AM

I don't know. We have 5 minutes between periods which take up time. Plus homeroom which doesn't count as instructional time. I have no idea who wrote out our schedule but it's lame.