how long after the interview will you hear

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by PenCelia, Dec 14, 2007.

1. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Dec 14, 2007

I interviewed at a charter school Tuesday. I have yet to hear from the school yet. What are indications that you got the job? How long does it take for them to make a decision? Fyi the principal of the charter school didn't make the interview. All the teachers and a parent were there. My interview lasted 45 minutes an hour if you count the tour.

3. roamer

roamer Companion

Dec 14, 2007

I had an interview Tuesday as well. I subbed in the school where I student taught today and the principal (who was in the interview) asked me if I'd heard anything. When I told him no, he told me that, while the school board will do official hiring at the next meeting in January, that I should get ready to get to work.

When I got home this afternoon, there was a message on my machine telling me that they wanted to recommend me and asking if I would accept the job if they did.

It seemed like I was worried sick all week, but it was really just three days. I won't tell you not to worry because I know you will anyway, but I'd give it some more time before I worried too much.

Good luck!

4. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Dec 15, 2007

I'm happy to hear that you got the job or are well on your way. I used to teach in VA. I'm hoping to hear soon. If I don't hear by Friday of next week I'll give them a call. I think they may have been distracted with snow and stuff. Ugh It's been two yrs since I've moved back from VA thinking of moving back

5. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Dec 15, 2007

What about sending a thank you e-mail and in it asking about when you might be expected to hear.

You also might consider making that one of your questions at the end of the interview. I've asked, "What is the time-line for this job?" or "When can I expect to hear from you?"

6. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Dec 15, 2007

I remember Adam Waxler (I think it was him) saying you should not worry about being annoying by following up. You should follow up, and say you're looking forward to hearing from them.

7. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Dec 15, 2007

I went on two interviews before I got hired. The first one, the principal promised she would call back within a few days to let me know either way. She never called back. I didn't follow up because I kinda knew I wasn't going to get the job anyway, and it wasn't a position I was overly interested in. She did call me a couple of months later because another position had opened up, one I was more qualified for, but by then I'd already been hired for my current job.

The second interview I did was the one for my current job. I interviewed on a Tuesday and was told I would hear back by the following Tuesday, so I wasn't expecting to hear anything until at least the end of the week. But the very next day, one of the principals who had interviewed me came over to my school (I was student teaching at a different school in the same district) and offered me the job in person! I was blown away.

So I guess it really just depends. It depends on who's doing the hiring, how many other people they've interviewed, what their time frame is, etc. Don't take it personally if you don't get called back right away. It doesn't necessarily mean they weren't interested in you... like I said, the first district that interviewed me didn't call back when they said they would, but the principal did remember me later and wanted to do another interview.

Good luck; I hope you get the position you want!

8. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

Dec 23, 2007

I did send a thank you letter and still didn't hear until I called on Friday. I'm so upset because I can get the interviews but no job. I've done the practice interview thing with different principals, taught 1 and a half yrs in VA(Got that interview straight straight over the phone), was an aide for three, did a maternity leave at the end of last year, subbed etc. What is going on??? Tears. I don't know how long I can put myself out there. It hurts because I know that I'm a good teacher and hard worker. My older sister who is a teacher has even used my stuff in the classroom. So I'm good enough to give family and friends my teaching ideas but can't seem to get a job myself . Help!!!!I don't know what to do. I have an Med in Education, Ba in psych Carear change???

9. Zionpro

Zionpro New Member

Mar 10, 2008

PenCelia, Have read many of your posts. I know your frustration. I,,too, live in NH and have taught in both Maine (where I was certified) and Canada, but still have to take yet another Praxis test. We moved here the summer of 2006. Right now I am subbing and it is very frustrating to have to start all over again.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 10, 2008

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2008

PenCelia, have you looked at Adam Waxler's ebook on this site? I know that several teachers have gotten their current jobs after reading his book. I know I've left more comfortable in my interviews after reading his book. Don't give up hope just yet. I know that most state testing is happening around this time so principals are sure to be busy with that.

12. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Mar 10, 2008

Smallltowngal, you recommend his book? I was just reading the Smal excerpt from the eBook. So far, looks like pretty common sense stuff. Is it worth the $$? Currently, my list is getting longer & longer on books & reference materials to obtain & just want to be certain it's worth it.

13. smalltowngal

Mar 10, 2008

I think its worth the money, and I've heard others on here say it is. What I like about Adam's book is that he gives real world sample answers to the questions. He includes what should be on your resume and cover letter; before/after the interview, etc.

14. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Mar 11, 2008

Usually in the job position is a schedule or closing date. It should say last day for taking resumes/applications. Also it should say when interviews start and when the decision will be made. I never had an interview over 30 minutes. Did you send a follow up letter? A letter that says thank you for the interview and you’re interested. You could ask in the letter. You can send a follow up letter, phone call or email. I would not recommend follow up fax. Problem with follow up you have to know when to send it. You want to sound interested, but not a physco or desperate.(even thought we all are at times) Some places make think of it as spam but oh well. Good luck. Even if I just had an interview I keep job hunting. You should focused on one job, but never put all your eggs in one basket.

15. Zionpro

Zionpro New Member

Mar 12, 2008

Book

Just wondering what book you are talking about. :unsure:

16. smalltowngal

Mar 12, 2008

Your Basic Guide to Acing Any Teaching Interview. The link is at the top of the page in this forum.

17. gillianvt

gillianvt Rookie

Mar 12, 2008

I interviewed this morning for a leave replacement position for May and June possibly part of april. I went in at 10 of 9 stayed 20 min or so. And by 11 am they called and offered me the job. However, I have never heard anything this fast. Usually I don't even hear back at all. Don't worry things will always work out for the best.

18. Teachling

Teachling Groupie

Mar 12, 2008

Congrats!! You obvioulsy impressed them. :2up:

19. smalltowngal

Mar 12, 2008

Congrats, gillianvt!

20. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Mar 12, 2008

When I interviewed for this school district, I think I didn't hear from them for about 2 weeks. I was actually on my way to the airport when I found out that I got the job! I did send a thank you email to everyone that was on the interview panel. Other than that, I didn't really stress or worry about it.

21. tgpii

tgpii Comrade

Mar 13, 2008

Good for you. Wish it was that easy for the rest of us. Some places take forever to get back to me. What if I found another job by then? Some places never get back to me. :down: