How is your work environment with other colleagues?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MathGuy82, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Sep 5, 2017

OK, so I'm not alone. They have cute classrooms but TERRIBLE personalities... there's one teacher who walks around always looking miserable. Seriously she NEVER smiles or looks like she enjoys her job. I've been in her room subbing as a TA and I just felt colder than when I left. It's really uncomfortable and I feel worse for the kids who have to endure people like that everyday. If you don't like your job, do something else. There are plenty of us (trust me) who would love to have it!
    It makes me reflect on my second year and say to myself Woah! Because I really wasn't pleasant and was glad I left. I wasn't happy at the school and didn't want to stay there being miserable one day longer.

2. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 5, 2017

Today I literally sat behind someone as they pointed out things in a curriculum they didn't like to another teacher knowing I was sitting directly behind them (I was basically responsible for the curriculum). Last year both teachers gave me a hard time but toward the spring I won the teacher over that was being shown the curriculum. She just kind of nodded as the complainer pointed at the paper which I appreciated. I don't need or expect anyone to fight my battles for me but by not participating it isolates the problem. In the moment I admit I was a little hurt but you have to realize you can't change people. All you can do is your best so you can be proud of your work. If you let others drag you down you are letting yourself be down. I'm not going to do that this year.

3. Teacherhere

Teacherhere Companion

Sep 5, 2017

It is really no different than any other job. You are there to do a job and there will always be other teachers and staff that you will not get along with.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Sep 6, 2017

In general, I work with decent people. I don't get along with people who don't do their jobs. They don't like being called out on it. The worst teacher we had is gone so that's good!

5. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Sep 6, 2017

I don't have a co-irker in the bunch at this point. The one teacher who frustrated me last year has become a fierce ally, and the new hires are fitting in well. My principal told me that he looks at both professional qualifications and personality balance when he hires. It's serving the entire school well.

6. ms.irene

ms.irene Groupie

Sep 6, 2017

I am really lucky to be at a site where -- at least from my perspective -- people are generally cordial and have a good, professional working relationship. We aren't the most social bunch and don't hang out all the time -- even at lunch, most people are in their rooms for the most part. That works for me, though, since I really need that "off" time during the day. I would rather have lunch in my room than deal with a weird staff lounge culture and the cliques that go with it -- I taught one year at a school like that and was miserable! I think, like as for most things, it's all about finding the right fit for you.

7. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Aficionado

Sep 6, 2017

We are starting to get those types of co-workers who always tend to make meetings go longer because they never stop talking. They are nice people but are starting to get a bad name for themselves. Eventually, nobody is going to want to be their friends LOL

8. svassillion

svassillion Rookie

Sep 6, 2017

I'm in my second year at a K-5 urban school and I love the staff at this school. The school is 1 of 7 elementary schools in the city, but it's the smallest. Each grade level only has two teachers and of the 12 of us I feel like I can approach anybody and have a good conversation. I feel very supported with the staff here. I know there is one grade level team the other grades don't care for as much and there are a couple veteran teachers I would never want to cross, but I do everything I can not to be a bother as the newer teacher anyway. It's my grade level partner who gives me the most stress, but for separate reasons; she's still a very caring coworker.
    But I have also worked in those elementary schools that are filled with mean girls. My last school was gigantic and many of those teachers I would go months without seeing. But there was a group of teachers related to the mayor who formed a strong clique and were portrayed as the star teachers of the district. The things they did were cute, but didn't foster learning or growth, and they could be very malicious to other teachers. It was more a competition they were making than a supportive environment. And I feel like they stole some of the spotlight from the kids. For example, they made their teacher performance at the winter concert their main event- not the kids who were singing. I'm glad I left and was able to experience a truly supportive school environment.

9. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Sep 6, 2017

sorry but you still can't sit with us

10. Mshope2012

Mshope2012 Companion

Sep 8, 2017

Our staff is on the smallish side and it gets smaller each year as our district struggles financially. Over each year that I have been at the school, things get worse and worse. We have also had several principals who all seem to radically change the school without knowing what they were doing. These principals have shown a lot of favoritism that promoted some incompetent people and alienated others. Most of the older teachers have retired and a few of the "leaders" have been beaten down to stumps. New blood courses through the school mired with silliness and alternative seating and a much more causal attitude.

I try to navigate through this as I love my job, school, and our students, but I don't like how some very good student/teachers are treated. We have a lot of disgruntled people who just want to do their jobs and go home. We also have those who want to climb the ladder by standing on the backs of others. It seems like we have several groups emerging the principal's pets, the disgruntled and mad, the happy to have a job camp, and the what is going on gang. I flit between the groups and tend to avoid the four or five most hostile staff members. I know that the best policy is to lay low and keep quiet to avoid getting dinged. From time to time, I can't help myself and say something or (gasp!) have an idea. That could be dangerous. We have a lot of people who are going through the motions and want to shut their doors to the chaos outside of them. In spite of the divisions though, we can still laugh about some things. Not together as a staff that much, but in little pockets. I guess it is a pretty sad state of affairs. I don't know what can be done to repair the rifts as the favoritism, competition, and "cliqueishness" is almost endemic. I try to be nice to everyone and do my job. Some people seem to actually do almost no work. Some are working themselves into a heart attack. Others have nothing to say and have the thousand yard stare. A few have lost their grasp on reality and are avoided like the plaque. Oh my, maybe it is time for a transfer? Anyone have any openings?