How is your work environment with other colleagues?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MathGuy82, Sep 4, 2017.

1. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Sep 4, 2017

Just curious, how is the work environment at your school among other teachers? Do you get along, are there those you avoid? I find there are generally good people to work with, even though I avoid a few. I find sometimes when I talk to a few of the staff I don't like I get very annoyed. Is anyone like this that likes to generally keep their distance from a few? On the other hand, is your teaching partners totally good or generally chaotic?

3. rpan

rpan Comrade

Sep 4, 2017

My work environment is toxic when I have to deal with toxic people. So I try to stay under their radar and out of their way. I'm not one for confrontation. I have a few toxic colleagues who are just poison. Every word out of their mouth is lies, they openly and without shame take credit for work you do, throw you under the bus at the first opportunity, make you walk on eggshells because you don't know if Jekyll or Hyde came to work that day. All part of the land mines I dodge everyday.
    I surround myself with colleagues who are like minded and just kind and positive. Otherwise I go crazy. So generally if I manage to dodge the day's land mines, and keep under the radar, my work day is generally quite positive. And I'm thankful it's only a handful of crappy people, not the majority.

Mshope2012 and alp123 like this.
  4. bella84

bella84 Fanatic

Sep 4, 2017

I've worked at a school where the admin were so awful, my colleagues and I referred to the school as "North Korea". This was several years ago... I've also worked at a couple of schools where the drama between teachers was intense, and it was very cliquish. There was talking behind each other's backs, unwillingness to take responsibility, blaming others, and gossiping. A lot of this came from poor leadership from the admin. I mean, adults should know better, of course, but, as the leaders of the school, the admin should not be setting poor examples and should be nipping it in the bud instead. I'm now really thankful that I finally work at a school where most everyone is supportive of one another, respects each others, and helps each other out. We have a great climate, and it makes having to do this difficult job so much easier.

alp123 likes this.
  5. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Sep 4, 2017

There are a couple teachers at my school that I do not like, but I always try to maintain a professional relationship with them, and that's about it; our conversations do not go beyond the daily greeting. I avoid extreme liberal and extreme conservative teachers at my school; I also avoid teachers with low morale. I provide assistance and guidance when my colleagues requests for them, otherwise, I mind my own business only.

alp123 likes this.
  6. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Sep 4, 2017

As with anywhere, there is a group of "mean girl" teachers at my school. I will say though that the team of teachers I am working with is the best I have ever been with. We support each other and enjoy being around each other. I have been in bad environments, and this one is so nice.

7. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2017

I try to be the best person I can be and save my angst from dealing with toxic people for after school hours. I would say I basically have everyone's respect and support at this point. Even a few who enjoyed making me miserable when I first met them.

8. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Groupie

Sep 4, 2017

How wonderful.
    I'd like to take the question one step further and ask if people are elementary or secondary ed? I've worked in MANY elementary schools and found (quite ironically) that the teachers tend to be more like that than the secondary ed. I just wanted to know if it was just my experience or is it more true than not for others?
    Even in my college classes, I'm now taking elementary and secondary ed; and I find myself more drawn to the secondary ed people. They're much more open minded, mature, down to earth, etc., and they're all passionate about their content. In elementary classes I'm taking, the classmates just roll their eyes when I talk.
    :roll:

9. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Sep 4, 2017

We definitely get along within my team, and without doubt I get along extremely well with the rest of the school. One of the downsides is also the biggest strength -- they've taught for so long that they have things down extremely well, though are less willing to change, so occasionally I feel out alone in a boat.

10. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Enthusiast

Sep 4, 2017

All my experiences are in K-8 schools.

11. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Sep 4, 2017

I really like the people at my school. Overall, we have a very good community. Naturally there are a few people I don't like as well as others, but that just seems natural. We are all different people with different personalities. I can work with any of them. There are quite a few that I am friends with outside of school as well.

When I subbed, I worked in all of the schools in the district. Most people wanted to work in the elementary schools, but I found most of them (there were five) unwelcoming. The teachers were not very helpful to one another. The "star" school of the district was the worst. The teachers were terribly rude to one another, and subbing there was difficult because they were unwilling to help subs in the rooms of the teachers they didn't like.

I preferred middle and high school. The high school teachers tended to associate with the people in their department. Otherwise, they didn't mingle much. I taught at the high school for two years. Everyone told me that the middle school was terrible, but I found that I really enjoyed it. The people were very friendly, and the teachers had the attitude that they were all in it together.

I'm the second oldest in the building as far as seniority. I'm near the top in actual age, too. I don't know when that happened. :whistle:

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2017

This. There are a few who are challenging to work with at times (I don't have time or patience for drama and "all about me" attitudes, but we are all able to work together respectfully and get the job done.

alp123 likes this.
  13. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2017

I get along with almost everyone I work with. It helps that I'm the only one who can do certain things for them and fix certain problems, so if they're smart they won't be rude to me. ;) Really, though, I think that we have a good team at my school. Most teachers work well together because we share common goals for our students. I've seen some infighting within certain departments and grade levels, but that's rare and seems to stem from one or two severely disgruntled individuals.

I work at a school that is pre-K through grade 12. Most of the teachers I work with are from the middle and high schools.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  14. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 4, 2017

Our staff is pretty big; we have about 50 teachers. So obviously, in such a large group there are lots of different personalities. I don't know that I would call anyone on our staff "toxic" and I can safely say we have no "mean girl clique," but there are teachers whose personalities just don't jive with mine.

For example, I find extremely sensitive people difficult to get along with. I hate having to feel like I'm walking on eggshells with adults and having to have constant "talks" about how hurt they are by the most minuscule thing that they've blown way out of proportion. One of my teammates is like this, and here is an example of what I mean. The other day I was working with another teammate on transferring over a new IEP we'd just gotten. Our third teammate got training on our new computer system that we didn't get, and we couldn't figure something out. I sent that teammate a text that said something like, "____ and I are working on Johnny's IEP and need help. We're in my room if you're available." She came in practically in tears and immediately started whining about how it was rude to text her rather than coming to find her in person, it feels like everyone always just wants her to fix things, and how we should have asked for help rather than "demanding that she fix it." I try my best to get along with this person since we're teammates, but it's difficult at times!

a2z, Caesar753 and AlwaysAttend like this.
  15. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Sep 4, 2017

My school is small and very wonderful. We are a K-8. We only have about 30 staff members. I came from a vaguely toxic building, so I guess I really appreciate how nice everyone is. That isn't to say people don't get annoyed with each other or have issues...but they are really open and talk to each other in ways we NEVER would have dreamed at my old school. Some of us regularly hang out on evenings and weekends. I feel really lucky.

bella84 and AlwaysAttend like this.
  16. NewTeacher2016

NewTeacher2016 Companion

Sep 4, 2017

The requirement to become an elementary teacher and a secondary teacher is a lot different. Elementary teachers are not allowed to sit with us at DO social events. jk jk

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2017

We have about 150 teachers at my school. :laughing:

Leaborb192 likes this.
  18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2017

People like this are exhausting. I once worked with someone who was exactly like you described. She once got upset with me because she picked up my copies from the copy room (which was a very nice thing to do), and when she handed them to me, I said "thank you". Like, that is verbatim the reason she told me she was upset with me, and she said it in front of two other people who can corroborate! I stood there dumbfounded, which is not a state of being in which I normally exist. I mean, how do you even respond to something like that? To this day I still don't know what exactly she would have preferred I say or do.

Mshope2012 and a2z like this.
  19. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2017

Perhaps kiss her feet, give her flowers, or make a school-wide announcement about how great she is? (At least, that's what my colleague like this would expect).

Mshope2012, a2z and Caesar753 like this.
  20. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Aficionado

Sep 4, 2017

Admin's perspective: I've only been an administrator at two sites. Both sites have had a couple of high maintenance teachers. Other than that, everyone has been easy to work with.

AlwaysAttend likes this.
  21. a2z

a2z Phenom

Sep 5, 2017

It isn't usually as bad in large schools when you can minimize being around those you don't like, but all work environments usually have a mix of personalities and opinions. If you ever find an environment where everything is fantastic, it is like winning the lottery. As to being annoyed by others, that has a lot to do with what you allow yourself to be annoyed by. People are responsible for how they handle others comments and actions. They can be annoyed, angry, or just let it roll off their backs.