How important is routine in PreK-3

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Starista, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 1, 2014

Hello Again!

Mom of a 3-year-old who cannot express how much appreciation she has for preschool teachers!

My son just finished his 2nd week of PreK-3. He is doing very well in class. I teach grade 4 at the school where he teaches and he is able to go to aftercare daily for free while I work in my classroom. This is a wonderful situation!

As I have been picking him up from the playground (PreK3 and Prek4 as well as Kindergarten gets a snack and then free play) he's been giving me a LOUD hard time about leaving. The usual "No!" and kicking and screaming. We have an incentive chart at home where if he comes two days in a row w/o screaming or crying he gets a sticker. 5 stickers = a treat.

My question - is it best to send him DAILY until 4 PM or just 2-3 times a week until 4 PM. I am thinking daily for the sake of consistency and routine. I notice he does MUCH better when he knows what to expect. Please let me know your thoughts.

You early childhood experts are angels in disguise.

God bless. :hugs:

3. msaly

msaly Comrade

Sep 3, 2014

Sounds like he is doing it because they are outside and he wants to play. I see this happen a lot. My kids hate to be picked up when we are outside! Is there a time where they are inside that you could pick him up? Or dismissal always outside?

I do think sending him all week is best for routine! Once he realizes the behavior isn't acceptable then it should stop. When he says no make sure you dont allow him to keep playing.
    I would keep up with the chart and see if that helps.

4. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Sep 7, 2014

Routine is everything!

5. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Sep 8, 2014

He should be rewarded each day. The wait time - two days in a row is too long for his age - at least in my opinion. I have kids in my special ed class at that level.
    There are rewards for the end of the week but we also have rewards daily, or several times a day.
    You might have better success if he is rewarded each day and then at the end of the week too.
    That's the routine I'd do.

6. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Sep 8, 2014

Every day. My son is 4 and just started PreK this year, and hated it to begin with. They went 3 days a week for 3 weeks. Now, they go every day and it is much easier on him now that he is in a routine.

I would ask the teacher if she can have him come inside just before you pick him up, and take him from the classroom. I wouldn't want to leave the playground either!

7. Starista

Starista Cohort

Sep 10, 2014

Thank you, thank you, thank you a million times over.

We did a small incentive chart and he gets to color a circle each time he comes without crying/screaming. It has gotten SO much better.

He goes every day and as you all mentioned the routine is so important to him. Thank you again so much.