How hard is the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators Tests (Praxis Core)?

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by thesub, Sep 9, 2015.

1. Georgiauna Stalling

Georgiauna Stalling Rookie

Aug 22, 2016

I meant the total possible score was 24. I scored 17 based on two constructed responses. And if you don't have the current information on the construct of the exam, it isn't possible or accurate to break down how they scale the exam.

2. Georgiauna Stalling

Georgiauna Stalling Rookie

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 23, 2016

*shrug*

4. Anich

Anich Rookie

Oct 8, 2016

That happened to me 3 weeks ago. Now, I have to take the test again.

5. Anich

Anich Rookie

Oct 8, 2016

I took math test today. It will be a surprise for me if I pass that test. Too many formulas to remember.
    I really believe it is a short time for so many problems.
    I want to teach Spanish, I don't see the importance of taking math test. For those people like me, which goal is to teach another language, score should be lower.

Pinkchicken3 likes this.
  6. Areu4real

Areu4real New Member

Nov 12, 2016

Hi everyone, I took the praxis core ( maths, reading and writing) for the first time today. I had a 118 for Maths, 138 for reading and I'm sure writing doesn't look good too. Please, how can I boost my maths score cos I'm not good at maths at all? I intend to try it again soon. HELP !!!!
    Then how soon can I get my writing result too? Any advice from anyone that could help . Thank you .

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 12, 2016

1. Passing scaled scores vary from Praxis to Praxis and/or from state to state, but you do certainly have some ground to make up. If you can study by yourself, consider Khan Academy, www.khanacademy.com, or possibly Math is Fun, www.mathsisfun.com. If time permits, perhaps a community-college course in math would help; you could also consider hiring a tutor (and if you do so, please make sure that the tutor knows just what kind of test you're taking). You now know more or less what the test looks like, and the familiarity may well help you.

2. As for obtaining your writing score, see https://www.ets.org/praxis/scores/get/.

8. Pinkchicken3

Pinkchicken3 New Member

Feb 5, 2017

I agree. I have no interest in teaching any sort of math whatsoever, but I have to learn all these formulas for an hour test!!!!!

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 5, 2017

Better check, then, to make sure your state doesn't require that math be included across the curriculum. In some places, even arts courses need to have math components.

10. shenerd

shenerd New Member

May 15, 2017

I am new to this forum. I just finished taking the Biology Praxis 2. Does anyone have a recommendation for taking the combination core educator skills exam? Would it better to take the math, reading, and writing individually even though it's more expensive? Any thoughts are appreciated.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 15, 2017

Welcome to A to Z, shenerd. How are you generally as a taker of multiple choice tests, and how are you generally at writing on a set topic under time pressure?

12. shenerd

shenerd New Member

May 25, 2017

I am fairly good at multiple choice exams. However, I'm not good at writing under pressure. I am good at english, math, reading and comprehension.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 26, 2017

Fortunately, shenerd, what's necessary in writing on demand is not GOOD writing but ADEQUATE writing. Prose that's adequately organized, adequately supported, adequately correct in grammar and mechanics, and adequately garnished with a few transition words, a few variations in sentence structure, and a few specific/vivid vocabulary words will suffice. Remember the five-paragraph essay format? It's your friend here. For the record, these are skills that will save you time as a teacher, too - writing reports for the district office, composing newsletter articles to parents, etc.

14. Steph#22

Steph#22 New Member

Jul 16, 2017

When the Praxis Core Writing is scored, is it scored all together as one by combining the 40 multiple choice with the two essays? Also does the test stop after the 40 minutes are up for the multiple choice or does it just go straight into the essays when you are done with the multiple choice?

15. Steph#22

Steph#22 New Member

Jul 16, 2017

I did take them individually as it gave me time to focus my attention more strongly to each subject. I have not taken the writing and I'm a little worried about that, but I did VERY well on the other two tests.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017
  16. ccstwelds

ccstwelds New Member

Jul 25, 2017 at 5:39 AM

I took the combined tests on 6/27/17. I was trying to at least pass one section and I did, reading with a 188. Math was a disappointing 118 and writing was a 144. The math portion is too difficult. I teach welding, we use a lot of math, not this stuff on the test. I graduated HS in 1980, it has been a long time since I had to take a test like this. Algebra is my biggest concern. I was surprised how bad I did, especially doing better on the writing part. I hated English in school but liked Math. I have been studying every chance I get. I am getting better at Math, Writing on the other hand isn't getting much better. I don't care if I get a 150 and a 162, just want to pass. What I don't understand is why, if you need to take 2 tests, you have to either take them individually for $90 each or take the combined for $150. I read all 9 pages on this thread, I seen somewhere on here where effective 9/1/17 the score requirements are going up, I haven't seen that on ETS, Can anyone confirm that? If so, I really need to get going on the writing.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017 at 11:11 AM
  17. Steph#22

Steph#22 New Member

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:30 PM

I just took the writing core today and though I'm not feeling super optimistic about the informative/explanatory essay, I am hoping that I just did well enough to pass it with the 162 that is required. I HATE that we have to wait so long for the score, I really just wanted to at least know the score of the MC questions. Does anyone know if it takes the full 15 business days to get this score, or does it come sooner at times?

18. Steph#22

Steph#22 New Member

Jul 25, 2017 at 9:32 PM

As far as I understood when I called ETS and asked, the representative that I spoke with didn't make it seem as though the required scores were in jeopardy of going up. Though, it doesn't hurt to call them and hear it from another representative to verify that.

19. ccstwelds

ccstwelds New Member

Jul 26, 2017 at 6:19 AM

I took the test on 6/27 and I'm going to say it took the whole 15 days. I know it took 3 days for the other 2 tests to show up on ETS. I think I'm going to retake the test the first week of August, I'm trying to get it done before we go back August 28th.