How hard is the Praxis® Core Academic Skills for Educators Tests (Praxis Core)?

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by thesub, Sep 9, 2015.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 9, 2015

I am thinking of going back to school for ESL K-12 certification at Rider University, NJ and apparently this is a new test for teacher prep programs. Did anyone take this test?

Right now, I am an aide in a 3rd grade class. Is there material from high school on this test?

Thank you so much,
    thesub

3. Gaioma

Gaioma New Member

Sep 11, 2015

I have no idea.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

Sep 11, 2015

Go to ETS.org and look at the information that they have posted. They will give you excellent guidance on the type of material that they are interested in you knowing for the exam. Honestly, this is like an exam, that has been used for many years, that assures the state that you will have a given proficiency of basic necessary academic knowledge in English, Math, Literacy. Yes, high school level of information, and no use of calculators on the math. Most, if not all, universities require these to enter teachers education programs. The good news is that this test is similar to the test necessary to teach elementary education, an endorsement that goes along with the ESL endorsement. To teach ESL in public schools, you must have the K-6 Elementary Education endorsement.

5. thesub

thesub Comrade

Sep 11, 2015

Thank you

:)

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 11, 2015

Is it like the Praxis PLT?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 11, 2015

No, Caesar: more like Praxis I/PPST.

8. Carneybar

Carneybar Rookie

Nov 11, 2015

The new test (5732) is unbelievably difficult and it involves a lot of geometry a^2+b^2=C^2 also area, volume, radius and Pie formulas as well as ratios, integers and graphs, means, medians, ranges, etc. The timing is critical as it allows less than two minutes per problem (85 minutes for 56 problems) and many problems have a full paragraph of information that needs to be deciphered and in some cases a chart/graph before you can even decide what formula to use. Also the algebra questions are not the typical ones.. I took it for the first time after studying the study guide and taking the practice praxis exam that I purchased from the ETS website ($19.99) and still failed the real test with a humiliating (120) when I needed a (150). I might add that I took the practice exams over and over until I received a 100 (not memorizing the answers but actually memorizing how to solve the problems...none of which were remotely close to what was on the exam :( I did not study for the other sections and I passed the reading (5712) with a whopping (188) and only needed a (156). The writing requires two essays now instead of just one (two different types) and they are timed as well and you have to answer 40 questions prior to the writing part.That writing test is the (5722) and I am still waiting for the results as the essays have to be graded...takes longer.

I must say that I feel I studied long and hard for a month (all day on weekends only though) after taking and passing the (5025) first time around, for the 5712,5722 and 5732 combined test but again I just studied the math part. These new Core Academic Skills for Educators exams were designed to be more rigorous according the NJDOE (and they have the same passing score and content for 16 states now). However, they no longer have composite scoring nor do they allow remaining time from previous tests in the combined test to be used for any other tests like they did with the older version (found that information from researching comparisons of the test).

9. Carneybar

Carneybar Rookie

Nov 11, 2015

It may have been used many years but it no longer allows for composite scoring or carrying over remaining time to apply to another test, in the combined tests, if needed and it is required to write two essays instead of one. These new tests as of September 2015 were intentionally designed to be more rigorous, according to NJDOE, than the previous version. It seems others have had an advantage in previous years that is no longer afforded to new candidates (not to mention more problems were added to the math version with less than 2 seconds to solve) especially problems with formulas that have multiple steps.

Forgive me but I can't help but wonder why it is a requirement to master geometry etc., to teach pre-k? Or why it is a requirement to take this so called Basic Skills Test when one has already obtained an advanced degree with a 4.0 and a 3.93 for a BS? Just not sure why or how a test that typically requires cramming, which is later forgotten or never even used later should or could determine if one could effectively teach especially early childhood education......

10. Carneybar

Carneybar Rookie

Nov 11, 2015

Oh and did I mention I also used the ETS study guide and purchased the practice test for the 5732 and registered for this test only after I mastered the practice test but nothing on the actually test except for maybe 5 out of the 56 problems

11. goodlife4545

goodlife4545 Rookie

Nov 11, 2015

On the reading and writing sections, How many questions did you get right?

12. ceqrnlv

ceqrnlv Rookie

Nov 15, 2015

I am taking my Praxis core on the 28th of Nov., 2015. I have been told by other recent test takers that the test is a majority of multiple choice questions, and that in most cases. the choices can simply be plugged in until you get the right choice. I have also been told that if you "mark" (skip) the questions, the geometric formulas are scattered throughout the test and can then be written down on your scratch paper to be used when you return to the "marked" questions.

I also called ETS a few days ago, and they did say that the on screen calculator was available for all of the questions. I was also told by ETS that ALL of the questions were multiple choice, but some of my colleagues contradicted this and said some were fill-in the blank, and not multiple choice. The majority opinion was that the questions are not terribly difficult, but I have the misfortune of suffering "math anxiety," and would like to have as much "correct" information prior to the 28th. Any insight from RECENT test takers on the issues raised would be most appreciated. "Veteran" insight is also most welcomed.
    Thx in advance!

13. goodlife4545

goodlife4545 Rookie

Nov 15, 2015

Ceqrnlv, I am taking the test on Tuesday Nov 17, 2015. I will let you know after I take the test. You also can take the practice test at this website. "teacherstestprep" I took the middle school math and the praxis core math. If you can pass either one you should be able to pass the praxis core math.

14. ceqrnlv

ceqrnlv Rookie

Nov 15, 2015

Good luck! Looking forward to your input...and your success.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 15, 2015

I have no thoughts on the test but I'm a Rider grad and have complete confidence you will be well prepared there.

16. goodlife4545

goodlife4545 Rookie

Nov 15, 2015

Thanks, Anything else you need me to check on, besides the math section? I probably will not remember the math questions itself, but will give a general idea on what to study.

17. goodlife4545

goodlife4545 Rookie

Nov 17, 2015

Ceqrnlv, my results, 154 on the reading, a 198 on the math and will get my writing score in 2 week. I was sick throughout most of this test which is why I did so poor on the reading sections.

On the math portion of the test. There was about 5 fill in the blank, 1 select all that apply and the rest were multiple choice. The fill in the blank question was easy. they ask you to either solve for x or what is ratio of A to B.(Some test do not count these problem or they will report it with your official score.) On most of the math problems I was able to solve with just my calculator or by looking at the graph, chart, diagram, etc. There were about 7 geometry questions. You need to know pythagorean theorem, area, perimeter, circumference, and volume equation. The circle, square, rectangle and triangle is all you need to know.(possible cylinder V=πr²h). If it is an advanced geometry question,the formula will be given to you. You should know the slope and point slope equation. Also watch out for those trick questions. They have feet in the question but inches, yards, etc. in the answer

Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
    ceqrnlv likes this.
  18. ceqrnlv

ceqrnlv Rookie

Nov 18, 2015

Awesome input! Thank you so very much for your insight, and good luck with the results.

19. ladysasuke

ladysasuke Rookie

Nov 18, 2015

I'll share my experience with the test. I took the combined(my first mistake) skills test for the first time in September unprepared(second mistake). I brought a guidebook for the test from Barnes and Nobles and barely studied (third mistake) with it. This has changed and I have been studying every spare moment that I have.

My Reading Score - 180 - Needed 152 to pass

My Math Score - 118 - Needed 150 to pass

My 1st Writing Score - 142 - Needed 162 to pass

My 2nd Writing Score - 158 - Needed 162 to pass

I am scheduled to retake the math test on December 1 and the writing test on December 2 .

20. goodlife4545

goodlife4545 Rookie

Nov 18, 2015

Yea I think the combined test is too long. If you need any help on the math section I am more than welcome to assist you. On the writing section How much did the essay affect you scores. For the Argumentative essay, they gave me a horrible topic and for the Informative essay, I have no idea how to write one.

21. ladysasuke

ladysasuke Rookie

Nov 19, 2015

The combined test is something I believe should be done away with and the individual tests prices should be lowered. Thank you for the math offer, I could really use all the help I can get. I wish I could bring my own calculator, the one on the computer is distracting in itself to use and I spend to much time on each question, especially the geometry and probability ones.

The first time I took the test I received a 6 on my essay. I wrote one paragraph for each of the essays, because truthfully, I was exhausted by the time I reached that part and I just wanted to be done.

The second time I took it, I received a 12 and I did better on the multiple choice part. I believe there are two scorers for the essays and they are given a rating 1-6, but my score was out of 24 points so I think I received a 0 on one of the essays. I had extra time and I read the instructions twice. I then used the scrap paper that they gave me to write down the key points that they wanted from me. I wrote a few notes and I started. My first essay was about 1-2 paragraphs and the second was 4-5 I had a lot to say and I used proper quotations. I do think they should trim the essay down to one and give us more planning time separately from writing so we can write more. I can help you on the argumentive essay if you would like.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
    tbutler01 likes this.