How Full is your Bucket?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by missidy, Apr 13, 2010.

1. missidy

missidy Rookie

Apr 13, 2010

Anyone read/used the book "How full is your bucket" by Tom Rath with your class? ("Have you filled a bucket today" is the same idea.)

My class has really enjoyed discussion and related activities, except for one 8 year old boy who shouts out that 'the imaginary bucket isn't real...the idea is stupid...doesn't work....etc'. I've pulled him aside to help him with specifics about how he feels when people are nice to him vs mean to him. He agrees that he enjoys getting compliments and he feels good, but wont accept that a put-down to someone else dips into his own bucket as well as the other person's. Ideas?!!

Any activities you do with this book or concept? It's near the end of the year, but we're doing a unit on friendship so it's fitting in nice...next year I'll read the book asap!

Thanks!

3. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Apr 13, 2010

I just discovered that book a little while back and read it with my 4th graders. At first they thought it was a little silly, but we started talking about what it meant and how they felt when things started going bad during the day. It led to some really good discussions. We have bucket (supposed to be an easter basket,but it works! :D) where visitors leave us notes and a seperate special bucket where kids leave notes for each other. When they see someone fill someone else's bucket (or someone fills their bucket) they write a note and put in the bucket. I will pull them from time to time and read them. They asked about telling when someone dipped in their bucket and I let them write those notes, too. They don't name names, just things like "Someone dipped in my bucket when they laughed at my new haircut." We have had some really nice talks coming from those notes and they will still make comments about it.

4. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Apr 13, 2010

I have heard quite a bit about this book lately. I think we are going to do a school wide study with the adult and child version. I am glad to see it is really working for you guys and can't wait to try it next year.

5. katrinkakat

katrinkakat Connoisseur

Apr 13, 2010

I think it's a great book. It was read to us in a college course. :D

6. treysmom

treysmom Comrade

Apr 14, 2010

I used Have You Filled a Bucket Today in my kindergarten class and have had a lot of success with it. I laminated buckets (coloring page) and I give them a raindrop on their bucket when I notice them doing something kind. When they get 10 raindrops they get to get one thing out of the bucket-PTA approved $200 for me to buy things to go in it-books, puzzles, etc. We also have a class bucket. When we get 12 raindrops (by getting compliments in the hall, etc.) I bring a bucket of ice cream for a little celebration. I have really enjoyed using this in my class this year. They really take the message to heart.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Apr 14, 2010

We did a book study last year with the adult version. Our principal bought every classroom the children's version at the beginning of the year. After reading the book, I put up a picture of the book on the wall, and a small bucket in front of it. Inside the bucket are little drops that the students can write on. They put the name of the student that the drop is for on the top line, and write a comment to help fill their bucket. On Friday I pass out all the drops that are in our class bucket.

8. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Apr 14, 2010

I attach manila envelopes along the front of the classroom, one per child.

I tape a picture of a bucket with the child's name underneath to the envelope.

At the end of each day, we verbally appreciate each other. It is a great way to have a calm end to the day. Only those students who are packed up and sitting up nicely are called on to appreciate another student. The other student also must be packed up and sitting up nicely. This is great incentive for students to get ready quickly and quietly.

They say things like: I appreciate Semaj for helping me with my math today. Or I appreciate Lucy for sitting with me at lunch and playing with me at recess.

Then the student who appreciated Lucy gets a paper strip from a coffee can I keep at the front of the room that says: You are a bucket filler, great job! and puts it in Lucy's bucket. I tell her: Lucy filled your bucket today, now you can fill hers.

They LOVE this. If I notice that someone's bucket has no strips in it, I tell the class to be on the lookout for good things that those students are doing. I call on anyone who can appreciate those students first.

At the end of a period of time, say a month, I tell the class that I will take out all of their strips and put them back in the coffee can, counting how many each person has. I tell them I like to see who is filling other people's buckets. In reality, I don't count, I just fill the coffee can up again.

This activity boosts class morale way up. Children often come to me during the day saying, "Can I fill so and so's bucket? They just helped me do my work." It's a wonderful thing, really.

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 12, 2010

Bumping up this thread. I'm working on ideas to implement this more in my classroom next year.
    Bucket Fillers has a lot of ideas, lessons, and resources to help you use this in your school.

Right now I'm working on an interactive bulletin board. Part of it will be focussing on the kids being each other's bucket fillers, but another part will focus on staff members. We'll pick a staff member of the week (or group of staff members to get them all in) to fill their bucket.

10. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

11. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 12, 2010

Neat! I like that!

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 14, 2010

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  13. dizzykates

dizzykates Habitué

May 14, 2010

Oh I am totally going to do this the last few weeks of school! My kids are so naughty and mean to each other right now!!!!

14. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

May 15, 2010

Are you using this program in public school or private? Will it work for both?

15. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

May 15, 2010

Public for me. I've seen it used in both public and private schools.

16. mkate

mkate Comrade

Dec 7, 2010

Hello! I'm resurrecting this thread to ask a question. I am interested in using this book/concept, but I teach EFL so the language has to be quite simple. I was wondering if the younger kids version, "Fill a Bucket", would be appropriate for older kids (8, 3rd grade) since I assume the language would be simpler than the "Have You Filled..." But, maybe the pictures would be too babyish. I live in Spain so I can't just pop over to a bookstore to check it out, and the "Fill a Bucket" version doesn't have the "Look Inside" feature activated on Amazon.

If you have seen it, what do you think? Also, does the "Have You Filled..." version also have a song in the back? How many sentences per page? (Amazon only shows page 4, "All day long everyone in the world walks around carrying an invisible bucket.")

Thanks!

17. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Dec 7, 2010

The younger kids version is very simple. I've read both to my 2nd graders and they seemed to enjoy both. Exact same message, just put in easier words.

18. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Dec 8, 2010

We use the primary book K-3 at my school and it works well. In fact, it was a 3rd grade teacher who started the movement.

19. mkate

mkate Comrade

Dec 8, 2010

Thanks! I may just order both and see what works.