How Far Can You Go??

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MissScrimmage, Sep 16, 2012.

1. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 16, 2012

So I bought a new car this summer. I'm still getting used to it's features. One of the features is that it tells me how many kilometers I can drive based on the level of fuel in the car and the speed I am driving. I am curious as to how accurate these readings are. Last time the fuel came on while the gague said I could still drive 80 kilometers. Not wanting to risk it, I fueled up. But I am curious - how far can you drive after the fuel light has come on?

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 16, 2012

I'm not exactly sure how much my Camry can go. My Tahoe had that feature and the light would come on when I had about 30 miles to go until I had to fill up. If my Camry has that feature, I haven't found it yet. I don't chance it either and fill up when the light comes on.

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2012

Fill up a gas can and test it out!

It drives me a bit nuts not to have a gas gauge on my Harley. I have to watch mileage like a hawk.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Sep 16, 2012

My car's manual says it has a tank that can hold about 13 gallons (weird amount, I know). When my light turns on and my gauge says I only have one little bar left, I still only put in 10 gallons. I get about 33-36 mpg.

6. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Sep 16, 2012

I have a subaru and they have the gas light come on when you still have almost 100 miles to go. I've driven down to about 30 miles before (according to the gauge) and been fine. It's not something I'd want to test out down to the mile!

I find the "miles to go" thing pretty inaccurate until the very end of the tank though. When I first fill up, it tells me I have something like 800 miles to go, which is completely ridiculous. Within 50 miles or so it's down to 400 something.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 16, 2012

I agree with the suggestion to fill up a gas can and test it out. I need to do that again with my car because I'm driving now in very different conditions than I've driven before. Between altitude changes and hills, I'm quite certain I can't get the 475-500 miles I'm accustomed to getting out of a tank of gas, but I'm not entirely sure. Yesterday, I did push it to 400 miles, and I still had at least 1/8 of a tank left, but I didn't have extra fuel and didn't want to push it.

8. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2012

My car has the same option. It is fairly accurate. It really depends on your speed, so it adjusts. I drive 750 miles in a day about 6-8 times a year, so I get to test it plenty. My gas light comes on with 40 miles to go. It stops showing me miles to go at 20.

I have a 20 gallon tank, and I get about 450 miles per tank. If I am driving across the country, I get about 550-600 miles. (It is different going north than it is going south due to the mountains.)

9. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2012

I have that feature on my car, but I never let it get below 1/2 -1/4 tank, so I don't know how accurate it is. (Comes from growing up in the mountains where gas stations were few and far between!)

10. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Sep 16, 2012

Never tested mine to see....don't know if it has that feature. The lowest I go is about a 1/4 of a tank & I just fill it up again. (I never go to the gas station without filling it up all the way.)

11. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 16, 2012

You just need to know your car. My old car in the USA (90 Honda Accord) the gas light didn't work. I could drive up to 450 miles on a tank of gas (16 gallon). That meant most of the time that little gas gauge arrow was BELOW the E. There was a few times I went a little over 450 and ended up putting 15.5 gallons in the car! :)

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Sep 16, 2012

My husband had that feature on his last vehicle. Right after indicating twenty miles remaining at the current speed it switched to "Get Gas", just using different words which I don't recall. So we got it a little past that point, but didn't push it beyond that.

I just have a light on my car and if course the (electronic) guage itself. I hate that it's not consistant in that each square on the guage doesn't represent the same number of miles. Let's say there are ten squares. The light comes on when there are two squares left. It takes a while to get down to just one square. But then I only get four miles on that final square before all squares go away. Yes, I have been down that far...it was the first week I had the car when I didn't know about this little annoying fact.

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 16, 2012

My car will go about forty miles.

14. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Sep 16, 2012

I have this in my new car too! Today I started with a nearly empty tank and it told me I could still go about 67 miles. Granted, it gets anywhere between 28-35mpg on average. I went straight to a gas station either way.

15. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2012

It is not wise drive on the last 1/2 of a tank unless you have to, there are many reasons to drive on the first 1/2 a tank it puts a lot of stress on the fuel pump.Do not to let your gas level get too low because the fuel pump will ingest any sediment at the bottom of the tank depending on the age of the car and that can ruin the fuel injectors.
    The older the car the more likely the fuel filter could be clogged

16. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2012

My cougar in high school had that feature, as did my Jeep, so my subaru that I have now is the first car without that feature.

In both cars, I had them reading the distance to empty as 0 miles before. lol. Very stupid, but I was young and stupid when I had them both.

17. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 18, 2012

I commute 160 km/day so I like to get the most out of a tank of gas. If I didn't drive on the last 1/2-1/4 I would be fueling every other day!!

18. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Sep 18, 2012

We have a hybrid, so it depends on if I'm driving in the city or on the interstate. Our gas light comes on when we have half a gallon or so left, but it usually says that's about 40 miles. When we do day trips for Saints games we fill up before we leave town and then need to fill up about halfway back, then have half a tank or more left when we get home. If we didn't have that car, we might not drive down for all the games.