How Early Do You Return?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jul 30, 2018.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 30, 2018

Our teachers don't officially return until next Thursday, August 9th. However, I've had at least 8-10 teachers already stop by and ask for their keys (in my district, teachers can't keep their keys over the summer). Personally, I was one of those teachers who'd start working in my room at least 2-3 weeks prior to my contracted start time. While everyone else was frantically setting up bulletin boards, I preferred to be sitting at my desk working on lesson plans.

Do you wait until your first official contracted day to start working in your room? Or are you an early bird?

Leaborb192 likes this.
  3. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Jul 30, 2018

Our site's math team is reporting back a (paid) day early for a departmental work day. That will be on the 13th, and I doubt if I'll stop by earlier than that.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  4. cocobean

cocobean Companion

Jul 30, 2018

The first day we can pick up our keys is today. First contracted day is Aug. 6, first day of school is Aug. 8. I’m on vacation though, so I won’t be back in my classroom until Friday!

5. whizkid

whizkid Companion

Jul 30, 2018

Going back Wed and not a day sooner.

6. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

Jul 30, 2018

We often are not able to get into our buildings over the summer. Typically our principal has started letting us in to set up a couple days prior to our official return, but it depends what's going on as far as maintenance work and cleaning.

7. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 30, 2018

That's the reason we have to collect everyone's keys on the last day of school (maintenance, cleaning, and other projects). However, teachers know when we (admin) come back to work. We returned on July 23rd and that's the day they started calling, texting, and stopping by.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2018

Teachers return Aug 6. I will be there with bells on and not a day earlier :)

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 30, 2018

We don't have any mandatory days before the students start. I could, in theory, show up that morning not having been in all summer. We don't officially have access to our rooms until the week before school starts, but can usually get in starting mid-August. I'll spend somewhere between 15 and 20 hours in my classroom before school starts. I don't usually need that much time, but I'm changing up quite a few things this coming year. A couple of my colleagues will spend 3-4 hours getting ready and others will already be clambouring to get in.

10. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jul 30, 2018

We return on August 21st. Because of construction this year, we aren’t allowed to come in early.

11. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 30, 2018

What I liked about being a special ed. resource teacher was that I never had to go in early to set up my room. I just showed up on the first day of school and spent the first few days unpacking and organizing my stuff. I had about a week to get settled, conduct assessments, consult with teachers, plan lessons, develop a schedule and visit my students in their classrooms before I began providing intervention.

12. TrademarkTer

TrademarkTer Groupie

Jul 30, 2018

September 4. Still more than a month away. 1 week left in summer school.

13. Teacher234

Teacher234 Comrade

Jul 30, 2018

For my school year classroom, I return in early September.

14. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 30, 2018

I usually go in a few days a week or two early. Sometimes I'll go in three times two weeks before school starts and leave that last week free. We keep our keys though, so we're free to come and go as we please. I went in a few times in June too.

15. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 30, 2018

We go back this upcoming Monday the 6th. The students will return on Thursday. Up until last year I was like the OP - at least 1 week prior I would make several visits to my classroom, making sure everything was functional, printed things and made copies for the first few days. This in addition to the many, many days I had already spent on lesson plans at home. On top of it, the last 3 years I had to set up my classroom, because one year my classroom was torn down (old portable) and got a new one, the other two years we all had to because we moved schools (and then moved back).
    This for me meant putting away the many books in dozens of boxes, put up all my signs and posters, fill up my filing cabinets with my teacher - stuff. Kinda makes me frustrated now that I think about it that we had to do that on our own time. Yes, I could have waited until the kids return and have them help me, but that's no way to start the new year.

This year I don't have any of that stress. I will be teaching independent study, and I will be sharing a classroom with a few teachers; we will be working out of cubicles. So I will still have to set up my little area and figure everything out, but I will have enough time during the 3 days before the kids come back. The entire school is completely in disarray because another school is joining us and almost all the teachers switched classrooms (so yes, for the 4th time I had to break down my classroom last year)

But, I have no stress, and I'm so happy :)

phillyteacher likes this.
  16. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 30, 2018

We get access two weeks before professional development. I usually head back in then for a few reasons. One, we don’t get any paid time to set up our rooms or get ready. PTO does fundraisers to give the teachers money for school supplies, which is great for parents because they don’t have to buy anything, but that means I have to go shop for everything and get it all organized before the first day (more unpaid work). Second, since I’m doing all of this unpaid, I’d rather go in for a few hours at a time and still enjoy some of my summer days than work super long hours the last few days of summer. Third, I have to take my kids with me to set my room up, and at 5 and 9, they just can’t hang 9-10 hours at a time!

17. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Jul 30, 2018

I used to put in two weeks before contract started. I'm down to a day and a half. Honestly, I'm tempted to just go in when my contract starts this year, under the theory that if admin wants it done, they'll make sure I have the time to do it.

18. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jul 30, 2018

Today was the first day that our building was open, and I was there. I’ll go in one or two more times before my contract starts. First official day for staff is Aug. 8. First day for students is Aug. 14. I go in early because I get anxious and stressed if I don’t. I don’t like giving up extra days in the summer, but it’s worth it to me in order to ward off my anxiety. I like being able to plan lessons while others are scrambling to set up their rooms. For the first time in my career, I’ve had the same room for more than one year (going on year three). It’s amazing how much easier it is to set up when you don’t have to unpack boxes and when you already know where everything goes.

19. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jul 30, 2018

I wonder how the system would respond if ALL teachers reported to work on the first day of their contract - i.e. they refrained from going in early. Do you think they would allocate a few prep days prior to opening day? We make it soooo easy for them! Just wondering . . .

20. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jul 30, 2018

Our first official contract day is one day before the kids arrive. We have to go early if we want to do anything because that day is full of meetings.

I go in as soon as I can. Usually our rooms are ready by July 4th. I live close to school, so I’ll go in a little here and there. This year I spent one whole day and a couple of hours a few more times.

21. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 30, 2018

I typically don't go in early. We get two full work days before students come in. I don't need more time than that to set up my room. This year, we are moving into a new building and I may have chosen to come in early since starting from scratch is different from just setting up my old room, but of course construction is behind so they aren't letting us. Some of our teachers would take weeks to set up their classrooms when we weren't moving buildings. We were originally told that we could probably come in around mid-July. Now, no one is allowed in before the official work days start. I imagine many of our teacher are losing their minds right now.