How does your pet help you?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Irishdave, Jul 18, 2008.

1. anniefan

anniefan Rookie

Jul 20, 2008

My Gracie is not only my best bud, but she is also a big part of my teaching now! She is a certified therapy and READ (Reading Education Assistance Dog) dog. I take her in to school once a week for an after school reading club. We also do the "Puppy Tales" program at the public library.

Next week, I have a summer dog safety/care and reading club scheduled! It's so awesome to combine 2 things I really enjoy-dogs and teaching!

2. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 20, 2008

I'm an old techno-boobie, what is paint?

3. corps2005

corps2005 Cohort

Jul 20, 2008

I'm not a harsh person by any means, but I've been told that I can aggressive and unrelenting. :p I can also get quite anxious if things do not go as planned; however, I can always count on my kitties to calm me down. It's nice, after a long day, to come home and see Kitty by the front door looking out the window at me. Then, he races me to the side door to meet me when I come in from the garage. His sister, Tawny, isn't too far behind.

I've noticed that if I'm worried over something he will come and sit on my chest and just purr. If the other cat tries to come near, he will will chase her away and come right back. Kitty likes to lick my Hubby's hair after a shower and bite his feet. He'll bite them and then run away, come back and bite them and then run away. When I open the closet door, Kitty runs in there and quickly finds my llama-covered doll and baby llama-covered houseshoes. He'll then attempt to run off with one of them. Heaven help the person who tries to get it away from him.

Tawny is the quiet one, in the sense that she likes to remain hidden, but you'll hear her voice. If I say something, she'll reply with a "meow" and this goes back and forth until my DH gets quite annoyed. :p She demands to drink from the sink and will sit in it until you turn on the water. If you try to pull her out, she'll hiss. :p

4. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 20, 2008

She likes to sit in the sink WITH the water running?:eek:

5. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Jul 20, 2008

Can't have pets due to dander allergies. Would love a cat though.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 20, 2008

Mine help by making a mess in the house. Which in turn keeps me home cleaning which means I'm not out driving around spending money. HAHAHAHAHA

7. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Jul 20, 2008

Mine keep the carpet cleaner solution folks in business!

8. MrsTeacher2Be

MrsTeacher2Be Companion

Jul 20, 2008

I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I've heard that there are certain types of dogs that have such short hair that they don't bother people with dander allergies. I did hear on the news a few weeks ago that some study has shown that having a certain type of dog can help kids control their asthma (I think it was the little Mexican dogs, whose name I can't spell, you know, the Taco Bell dog :lol:)

9. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jul 20, 2008

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2008

I think this dog is non allergic.

[​IMG]

11. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Jul 20, 2008

That looks like me at 3:00 on a school day!!! LOL
    Actually this pet looks like it is in need of some help from its owner!!!

12. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2008

anniefan - what is the "puppy tales" program?

I have a 13 year old Aussie - Gypsy :angel: - who is too old now to go out with me on adventures, but she has brought joy to me and many others over the years.

I trained her in agility, herding, and obedience ... Gypsy has taught me to believe in the power of consistent positive reinforcement combined with extinction for unwanted behaviors. No punishment - or even an angry voice - has ever been needed (except for a few extreme situations where she showed some aggression).

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 21, 2008

It's great to see pet lovers unite!

14. anniefan

anniefan Rookie

Jul 21, 2008

Puppy Tales is a program at our public library where kids read to dogs. We have a group of 5 dogs that come in once a week and kids sign up for 15 minute sesions to read to the dog. The goal is to help the kids relax and feel at ease while doing something that may cause them stress in the classroom. I had one student this past year who went to get a black lab webkinz (like Gracie) so he could read to it at home!

Gypsy sounds like a great dog!

15. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2008

Puppy Tales sounds like a wonderful idea for so many reasons - and very adorable! I should see if our library has a program like that.