How does "commute" play into your job choices?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Backroads, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Jun 27, 2018

So I recently accepted a new position--in a district I wasn't even really considering due to it being "far away" (my MiL teaches for it and she lives in the Middle of Nowhere two hours away, etc). MiL as well as an old colleague teach there and like the district just fine. I honestly interviewed for the sake of interview practice.

Now, this school happens to be the closest school to me in that district... and it's not a bad commute at all. When I told people where I was teaching, they would looked shocked "because that's far away" before realizing "wait a hot second, Backroads, you would have a shorter commute than a majority of the schools in the two technically closer districts plus you're going the opposite direction of rush hour traffic? We hate you!"

Yeah, the commute really worked out.

How much does commute matter to you?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2018

I usually don't like to commute more than about 20 minutes. So far, in my career I've been lucky. At most of the schools I have worked at, they have been walking distance or no more than 20 minute ride.
    Good luck with the new job. What will you be teaching?

Leaborb192 likes this.
  4. Backroads

Backroads Fanatic

Jun 27, 2018

I want to say this school's commute is give or take 20 minutes. I don't mind it since my last commute to a "closer" school was 15. It's a matter of city traffic vs highway/freeway situations.

I'm teaching 1st grade.

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Fanatic

Jun 27, 2018

I commute 20 minutes to work everyday, back and forth, so 40 minutes in total. It makes a huge difference because I want easy access to work, especially if I forget something in my classroom and I’m on the way home already. There were a few times where I had to get something at home, too, and it only added ten minutes to my commute time because I turned around half-way through.

Backroads and Leaborb192 like this.
  6. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 27, 2018

My commute matters to me, as I think it does to everyone. It's just really about what each of us are willing to put up with. For me, I preferred my 11-minute, mostly city roads commute back when I was single. However, I now drive roughly 35 minutes, mostly on highways in order to live with my significant other and still stay at my school, cause I like it. Eventually, I hope to move closer to my school, but I’m willing to put it with it now because I want what is on both ends of the drive.

Personally, I find 15 min or less on any type of roadway to be ideal, particularly because my contract time starts at 7:15 in the morning, and it wastes a lot of time when we have evening events at school. I either have to stay at school all night or drive home and then turn around to drive back to school later.

7. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Jun 27, 2018

Also, I think it matters whether we are talking about public transportation in a large city or driving yourself. I didn’t mind a longer commute when I could read on the train. It’s not as pleasant when I have to drive myself.

Backroads likes this.
  8. txbelle

txbelle Rookie

Jun 27, 2018

The commute will eventually be important to me but since I'm just starting out I'll take what I can get (within reason of course). I have a realistic goal of teaching in the high school in my town, and where I'm currently going to student teach, by the time my 6th grader is in high school. The high school is 7 minutes from my house. There are plenty of districts around me that I could apply at, but everything is a little more spread out in Texas in the area that I live. Commutes will start at 15 minutes and go up from there, I think I wouldn't want a commute longer than 45 minutes one way though.

9. greendream

greendream Cohort

Jun 27, 2018

It's vital to me--I don't like anything more than 10 minutes myself, and will move myself near the school if I can.

Backroads likes this.
  10. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Jun 27, 2018

It would be very important to me. I recently had an interview where I decided the commute was just too much. When I started teaching I had a 30 minute commute one way. I would do that again, but wouldn't want much more.

11. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jun 27, 2018

Let's just say I don't want to drive more than 20 minutes either and I actually paid $$$$ to break a lease from an apartment my second year in Phoenix to move closer to the school. I hated doing the 40-45 minute drive on the 101 every day... ugh... I got sick of it FAST! And I was paying a sh** ton in rent anyway so I ended up being much happier and saving money after I moved.

Commute is really important to me!

Backroads likes this.
  12. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 27, 2018

I commuted quite a long way to work at a great school and live where I wanted. For an average school, I don’t want to drive more than twenty minutes.

13. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 27, 2018

I used to drive a half hour to my subbing gigs because that was what I was used to when I was in the private sector (banking and finance). Now, I'm annoyed when traffic turns my 7 minute commute into 11.

Backroads likes this.
  14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 27, 2018

The longest commute I’ve ever had for work was 20 minutes. That was in college when I worked for a bank located in the next town over. I was never interested in transferring to the bank in my own city because my boss was so kind to me and worked around my crazy school schedule. I worked there 5 years (I began employment the week after high school graduation).

All the schools in my district are no more than 10 minutes away from home, so I’ve always had a short drive.

Now that I think about it, I’ve been fortunate career-wise. I’ve only worked for two entities: the bank and my current school district (I’ve been in the workforce for 18+ years).

txbelle and Backroads like this.
  15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jun 27, 2018

That's the thing I like about living in an apartment- if I got a job farther away, I'd just move. A big part of my decision to take the job in my current school was actually that I really wanted to live on this side of the city. There were a few other factors, but overall the other offer I got at the same time would have been my first choice if I didn't factor location in.

I do like a little bit of separation though; I wouldn't want to live in the same neighborhood I teach in. I don't want to have to worry about putting on sweatpants to grab something at Walmart and running into three parents/student families there or have to worry about a parent wanting a conference in aisle 3. I was at a PD with some teachers from other schools at the end of the year and one was telling me that several students live in her apartment complex and they've figured out which apartment is hers. No thanks. My 20-30 minute commute is worth never running into students/parents outside of school.

Like Bella said, I think everyone has different tolerance levels. Several teachers at my school have moved further away over the years (for cheaper housing) and commute an hour or more in bumper to bumper traffic. If I were in that situation I'd definitely be looking to at least see what my options were in closer schools. My teammate was commuting 60 minutes in the morning and 2.5 hours in the afternoon to her previous school (she could leave early in the morning, but there's no escaping traffic any time in the afternoon) because it's the highest paying district in the area. To me, the extra money absolutely wouldn't be worth doing that.

16. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 27, 2018

I used to have a 30-45 minute commute depending on traffic. For the last seven years, I’ve had a 10 minute commute, and I LOVE it. I will have a hard time going to a longer commute if I ever switch schools.

17. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 27, 2018

I was at the airport in San Francisco (which is two hours away from home) and heard a kid yelling my name. Thankfully, we weren’t on the same flight.

WalMart? Forget it! I can’t ever go there without running into someone.

18. Camel13

Camel13 Rookie

Jun 27, 2018

Perhaps I will break the record. I commute an hour and 15 min one way to my school. That being said the closest school is 20 min away that my daughter attends. Teaching positions are few and far between here and I worked three years in a lab after obtaining my degree. However, even if a closer position opened, I would really struggle to want to change I love my district so much! While the commute is taxing, it gives me a lot of decompression time and brain lesson planning.

Backroads likes this.
  19. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Jun 27, 2018

I don’t like driving that much. I planned to move near where I was teaching. I live 4 miles from work, and I can be there in well under 10 minutes 7nless something unusual is happening. Before our new school was built, I drove 2 miles and 1 mile. (I lived in two different places.)

My DH lived a mile from work for 22 years. Now he’s 25 miles or so away? He doesn’t mind the drive for his last few years before retirement. He loves his school.

Backroads likes this.
  20. whizkid

whizkid Companion

Jun 28, 2018

On my salary, it's a huuuuuuge deal! I commute about five minutes to get to work.

Backroads likes this.
  21. Aces

Aces Comrade

Jun 28, 2018

On a good day my commute is roughly 15mins or so. It's really not that bad a drive, it's through the country backroads and what not. I don't actually go through the city. On the otherside though, in the winter time it can take twice or more that with fresh snow. I haven't actually missed a day of school due to snow yet. There's been days when there's 3 teachers and a cafeteria full of students though. Always fun! I don't really mind the commute, it's not that bad.

Backroads likes this.