How do your administrators/state treat you (collectively)?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 19, 2017

Yesterday our entire staff was lectured about how "we don't do enough" for the kids and how that's unacceptable because there are a record number of kids who are attempting suicide or suffer from anxiety problems.

Earlier in the year our department was told that "we are dysfunctional".

I read an article the other day where some superintendents and politicians blamed our low graduation rate on unprofessional teachers.

Every teacher I've met here is every bit as professional and hardworking (actually more hardworking because of all the crap they give us to do) than any teacher I've met in California, but they receive so little respect for it.

We're constantly told how "the counselors have too much to do, so the teachers need to take some of the load", or how "the administrators can't realistically do all their work anymore, so the teachers again need to take the load", or how "parents can't parent anymore, so the teachers need to do it for them." Things keep on being heaped up on our plate, but instead of saying "thanks" we just get diminished and demeaned even more. So we have to take on the jobs of people specifically hired to do their jobs and have not other responsibilities outside of that, while we have to not only plan, teach, grade, communicate, develop professionally, but also now do the jobs of counselors, admins, and parents too?

I'm not teaching anymore after this year, so I know I only have a little more time to deal with this crap, and a lot of it didn't affect me anyway, because I'm new here, but my heart breaks for the other teachers here who want to spend their career teaching for a good part of their lives.

While our state is blue, the geographic majority of it is red and rural, so communities do not have a good opinion of teachers and think they're overpaid, and lazy. I see teachers everyday working themselves into the ground, they're so stressed and tired but they haven't lost their professionalism and their duty to the kids. They're also not paid very well, though I don't know how it compares to cost of living here.

How does your admin/state/community treat teachers? I hope it's better than here.

AmyMyNamey likes this.
  3. ms.irene

ms.irene Devotee

Apr 19, 2017

I am lucky to be at a site where our admin does treat teachers with respect. We are treated like professionals and trusted to do our own, best work in our classrooms.

Now, our district-wide leadership (district office) is another story. I swear, people step through those doors and completely forget what it's like to be a teacher -- if they ever were teachers to begin with. We have a lot of board members and business officer types who are holding the purse strings with no idea of what it's like to do what we do. Part of this is local politics, and part is just plain ignorance.

So much depends on your site leadership. I can (mostly) ignore the shenanigans district-wide or even state-wide if I have good, strong leadership at my site who are willing to go to bat for their teachers.

4. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

Apr 19, 2017

By all of the above, we are treated with amazing respect. There's always some negatives in any situation, but here, they are far outweighed by the positives.

Peregrin5 and 2ndTimeAround like this.
  5. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 19, 2017

I got absolutely no complaint. This is my 4th year and I've always felt respected and appreciated.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2017

From admin--nothing but respect and appreciation for what we do. We are publicly thanked several times during the year. We have overwhelming parental support as well. Of course, there are always some who are unhappy, but they are far outweighed by those who recognize that we are working hard for their children.

Government support is discouraging; there have been continual cuts to programs and services over the past several years and class sizes are continually increasing. Contract negotiations between the union and the government have been stressful and contentious. We all breathe a sign of relief when we are able to come to an agreement.

Edited to add:
    I just received an email from my VP; she had a phone call this morning from the parent of one of my students. She is unhappy with the stories she is hearing from her son about an ongoing issue with another student in my class. The VP ended the email, "Thanks again for the hard work that you do, every day, for C and for all of the students in your class."

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Peregrin5 likes this.
  7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 19, 2017

Admin is pretty supportive.

We have teacher breakfast once s month hosted by admin, office, grade levels on activating basis. This Ftiday we have a massage place coming in during our free periods.

It's s good place to be!

ms.irene likes this.
  8. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Apr 19, 2017

Sitting down and eating together....
    I would put this at the top of the list if I was an administrator.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  9. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 19, 2017

Your admin sounds amazing!

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 19, 2017

My previous schools admin was night and day from this crowd. My previous admin would always organize pancake breakfasts and things a few times a year, and they would always communicate their appreciation of us. It's so strange how different things are just one state over.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Maven

Apr 20, 2017

I have no complaints at this school but that hasn't always been the case. I have found that my public school experiences have been similar to the OP. My private school experiences, like where I am now, have always been positive. I blame it on the bureaucracy and district/state/government regulations endlessly thrown at public schools.

12. rpan

rpan Rookie

Apr 20, 2017

My admin has been very supportive and appreciative. I feel I have the freedom and trust to run my program and when I need back up from angry parents or if there are issues, I can count on P for support. I am genuinely lucky and this makes all the difference in wanting to go to work every day rather than having to be dragged out of bed.
    However, for this support, the expectations of us teachers are high, we are expected to run good quality programs incorporating the latest education buzzwords, which can be pretty high pressure at times.
    So there is give and take.

13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Apr 20, 2017

We've gone through a lot of changes in district leadership over the past couple of years and our current district admin are not as supportive as our previous set of district admin were. I wouldn't say things are downright negative and I know it could be worse, but it's just not as positive as it has been in the past.

At the state level, I would say that the way our state chooses to fund education (abysmally, and we don't even get all of the money we're supposed to) speaks volumes about how they value it. Our state department of ed loves to blame low test scores on "low expectations." I've always felt very disrepcted/unappreciated in any PD run by our state department of ed. I would say it's been a mixed bag with the general public, but has gotten a lot more negative over the past couple of years. The union-bashing has become HUGE in my area, and people of that particular political party have completely bought into that rhetoric. It's extremely prevalent, and the sad/ironic thing is that this is a right-to-work state and in some heavily "politicized" districts, they don't even have a union (or "association") anymore. One really politicized district has not had a union for several years, and somehow the majority of the community is still buying into the "fight the unions" argument. It's so prevalent that I'm even seeing some of the younger/newer teachers that we hire buying into it. I've heard several new teachers at my school say something like, "I don't need to join the union because I'm not a bad teacher. The union protects bad teachers." Or, "I'm not going to vote for the school levy in my neighborhood (different district than where we teach) because the money will just be used for all of the wrong things and none of it will go to the kids" (another political argument that people have really bough into in my area).

nstructor and Peregrin5 like this.
  14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 20, 2017

Since my school is so small and we're such a skeletal staff, our two administrators treat us extremely well. The principal and assistant principal are there to make sure the teachers (whom they view as the most important component of the school) are supported. There was only one time when the principal and I truly butted heads. A few weeks later, I felt comfortable enough to tell him why his approach was a poor one that set my work back instead of propelling me forward. He listened and agreed that he had done something stupid. WOW!

Peregrin5 likes this.