How do you use technology to teaching reading??

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by teacherwithlove, Feb 7, 2013.

1. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Feb 7, 2013

How do you use technology to teach READING??

Like other districts across the U.S., my district is attempting to make a drastic step into the world of technology so we are prepared for the SBAC. By the end of February, they want us teaching reading almost ENTIRELY via technology. They also want our students to be publishing all writing tasks on computers. My 2nd graders already publish their final drafts on computers, so I'm not worried about this... but I'm freaking out about the reading part!!! How can I do this? I'm so used to teaching guided reading groups... I don't use technology to teach reading at all- unless you count my listening center... but other than that, nONE!

Please :help:

3. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Feb 7, 2013

I introduce, practice, and review many reading skills using powerpoints and SmartBoard activities. There is a smartboard lesson on just about every skill imaginable on the smart exchange site. You can use the software even if you dont have a board, the students just have to use the mouse to manipulate it instead.

Can your school possibly purchase a subscription to Reading A-Z? They have a wealth of resources and projectable books. RAZ Kids is a part of the site where students read leveled readers on their own accounts and take quizzes. It's a great site.

4. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Feb 7, 2013

Thanks for the tips thirdgradebuzz! I will look into Reading A-Z. Unfortunately, my district has NO money to purchase anything for us to use :( we've already been told not to ask. So, anything that needs to be purchased will have to come from my pocket or through donations.

5. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Feb 7, 2013

You could have the kids work on skills on Starfall.com too.
    Do you send home the Scholastic book orders? If you do you can use your bonus points for ebooks on Storia(their e-reader service) and download them to the classroom computers.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Feb 7, 2013

I usually show a phonics video eachmorning from youtube.

7. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Feb 8, 2013

I'm not sure there is any technology replacement for small reading groups currently, especially in a guided reading or direct instruction format. I agree with others that your intro whole group activities can be merged with some tech activities, but I'm not aware of any website or device which replaces a teacher in some capacities such as guided reading groups. I would probably try to make an attempt to incorporate tech at strategic points, but in no way would I ever recommend making reading instruction "almost entirely via technology."

8. teacherwithlove

teacherwithlove Comrade

Feb 8, 2013

I and others, 100% agree with you!!! I think our admin is just unsure of what we need to do to be ready for the SBAC and are making deep strides into technology. Hopefully, they will back up a bit once they see that it needs to be a gradual shift.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Feb 8, 2013

I've heard of some people doing guided reading using iPads, but I don't currently have them. In my mind (and I'm a techno-junkie), nothing replaces a paper and ink book! (and I love my kindle!)

10. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Feb 10, 2013

can you show a powerpoint presentation on the whiteboard? If so, take pictures of students holding a sight word and then put it together for a slide show. Students would love seeing their class participating in the slide show and they can read each slide with the word the student is holding.

11. Falcon Flyer

Falcon Flyer Companion

Feb 11, 2013

So, you're saying they want you to use technology only, but they're not willing to purchase anything? That seems like a paradox to me. I'd try to integrate technology as much as possible to make your P happy, but I think you need to stick with real books for guided reading and the like unless you have IPads or something similar where they can all hold their own book.

12. EMonkey

EMonkey Connoisseur

Feb 11, 2013

I would agree that it is very unrealistic to expect you to change in such a manner without them planning, supplying, and facilitating the implementation of the process.