How do you teach smart but careless studens to avoid silly mistakes??

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by thesub, Jun 7, 2010.

1. thesub

thesub Comrade

Jun 7, 2010

I need advice again re; my son. He is smart but I think he gets distracted during math, esp. tests. He makes silly mistakes like
    "What is 10 more than 52?" He wrote 57.

We practise these problems at home and he gets the idea but still does it wrong in tests. What should we do next? Keep practising till he gets it in his sleep?

Thanks so much,
    thesub

3. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jun 7, 2010

I have students like this. I usually pull them aside, ask them the problems again and show them where they got them incorrect on the test. I let them know I know they know how to get the answer. Then I ask, "How can I help make sure the test shows what you know?"

Usually they will come up with several solutions, but I really like putting it back on them.

4. thesub

thesub Comrade

Jun 7, 2010

Of course....I will ask this question to my son and see what he says. Thanks!

5. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Jun 7, 2010

I have some students like this. They try to finish quickly, and don't really think about whether the answers are correct or not. I have told the class that completing the test quickly is not the point of taking the test, being right is the goal. Their test scores improved dramatically when I told them to slow down.

6. renmew

renmew Rookie

Jun 7, 2010

I recognize students who earn 100% on tests and quizzes. My school already has awards for high grades at the end of each trimester, but many second graders won't work for something that far away. The entire class claps for those who earned the A+, and they really go out of the way to cheer for those who were obviously having difficulty earlier but studied hard.