How do you set up writing activities?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by missrebecca, Sep 22, 2014.

1. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Sep 22, 2014

I've seen a few different schools of thought on this and am completely unsure of what to do.

When I student taught in 1st grade, my mentor teacher would make sure all words were spelled correctly, give students a list of words on the board to write with, and do a teacher edit (no peers) during the lesson (kids would line up to see her, then go back to their desks to change mistakes).

Now that I'm a teacher, my 1st grade team is saying that is what Kindergarten does, and I should let my kids use their own creative spelling, then peer edit. They say it takes longer, but it's better coaching.

So... I'm thinking about combining the word lists (word wall plus words relevant to our topic) and peer editing... ideally I want most of the words spelled right because I think it's good practice... but I'm not sure anymore. :confused:

What do all of YOU wonderful teachers do? I'm really really curious now about different ways this process can take place. :)

3. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Sep 23, 2014

I teach 2nd. I tell my students I expect words on my word wall and those in their personal word wall books to be spelled correctly. Often I draft a list of content-specific words on the board and expect those spelled correctly. Otherwise I remind them to "say it slowly, hold the sound, find the letter, write it down." I do a mix of teacher and peer editing. If it's a large word I'll correct it. If it's a "first grade word" I circle and have them correct it.

4. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 23, 2014

This is what I did in first grade. They all believe they are writers if you build it up enough. Then I let them go. There is a word wall and often a list of words on the board. I circulate and support but I really encourage them to do as much as they can on their own. It's amazing how much progress they make in grade 1!

5. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Sep 23, 2014

Thanks, this is really helpful! I like the idea of circling the letter and having them find it.

I also have issues with kiddos talking during writing time. I was thinking about making word wall file folder "offices"... do you think it's OK to have them separated with a "wall up" during writing time?

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Sep 24, 2014

Yes, absolutely! My students all have writing folders that they set up like offices and it is a huge help.

7. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Sep 29, 2014

I used the writing folders today and it was AWESOME! They could find the words they needed easily rather than all walking up to the word wall at the same time... and it cut down on the noise. Woohoo!

We also have PVC pipe "phones" -- hopefully tomorrow I'm going to show them how to read aloud into them and listen to their own voice. Really excited to see how our writing improves. :)