How do you orgnize/use your grade book?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Peachyness, Jul 16, 2007.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2007

I've taught kinder so I've never had to deal with grade books before. I bought a grade book from Target's dollar spot, but I have no good ideas on how to organize the grade book. I know I need a spot for math, writing, spelling, reading, social studies, science, homework, and PE. I really have no clue on how to use a grade book. HELP!!!

3. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 16, 2007

I keep a paper and an online grade book.

In my paper grade book I use a two-page spread per subject per nine weeks. I keep all of one subject together. For example, I teach Reading first in the morning, so it get the first four sections of my grade book. Then I go to the next subject.

I usually keep spelling with writing. Homework goes with the subject it is for, not a section by itself.

Check the grade book you purchased to make sure it has enough pages for everything you want to document.

In the two-page spread I usually put tests/quizzes/projects on one side and homework/classwork/miscellaneous on the other side.

I record failing grades in a bright color; this helps to see at a glance where there are problems.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2007

We're not allowed to keep paper gradebooks. Everything has to be done in our online gradebook, EasyGradePro.

I have a lot of special scores set up, and I really like doing it that way. Instead of entering a zero if a student is missing an assignment, I just type in 'M' for missing. When the kid's progress report prints out, it lists all those missing assignments so the parent can immediately see that the kid made no attempt (versus attempting but failing).

The special scores automatically assign a score to the assignment if I want them to. Missing equals zero.

Other special scores I have are:

O for Off-task (for participation points) -- zero points
    E for Excused (absent for in-class work where no make-up is required) -- doesn't count
    NE for Not enrolled (for students who transfer in--we have a high transiency rate) -- doesn't count
    C for Complete -- full credit
    I for Incomplete -- 60%

5. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jul 16, 2007

I have a different page for the following subjects: reading, math, LA, SS, science, and health. I also have a separate page for attendance. I record hw in whatever subject it was for. I do the same for tests and quizzes. If a student is missing an assignment I usually circle the space where the missing grade should be. That way I can write the grade in when the assignment is completed, or write in a zero. One page/section lasts for nine weeks. I write the assignments across the top, and the date in the date section. I start with the first day of the grading period. Some teachers only write in the dates for when the assignment was given. I fill in all of the dates. When I transfer grades to the electronic gradebook, I put a red check above the grades I've already imputed.

6. cmarie

cmarie Rookie

Jul 16, 2007

I am also trying to decide how to set up the grade book. I wasn't sure if to put all of the first 9 weeks subjects together in the grade book (using up the first 5 or 6 pages of the book) then put the 2nd 9 weeks together, etc. But a friend suggested that the first page contain the 1st 9 weeks of Math, then leave 3 blank pages for the
    2nd, 3rd, and 4th nine weeks. Do the same for each subject because she said she found herself comparing reading grade from one grading period to the next and it was easier if they were all together. I also like the idea from shasha about putting all the days of the grading period in the grade book and not just the days that assignments were given.

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 16, 2007

You should figure out what grades will be reported on the report card. We have digital gradebooks, but I always keep a hard copy. I do this in case of any "program failures" and because we are required to turn a hard copy in as well. Since we have a digital gradebook, I don't enter any special class grades. The teachers for those classes do that.
    I break my gradebook into several different sections, each with enough space behind them for 4 9 weeks. My first section is Attendance. Then that is followed by Language Arts (which includes our reading, writing, and word study-all one grade). That is then followed by Math. The last section is a behavior section. I keep track of my classroom behavior daily. That's basically it. I have lots of extra room in my current gradebooks.
    In the past, we have given more than 2 grades (Language Arts was broken up into 3 separate grades) for our 2nd graders. I have always had enough room for every subject.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

Thank you everyone for sharing how you use grade books. I'm sure using those electronic grade books are much easier, unfortunately, our school doesn't use them. So, I'm stuck with the paper method.

9. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 17, 2007

I have sections in my gradebook for English, reading, social studies (2), science, religion, spelling/vocabulary, and art. The other 5th grade teacher does math. I count off four pages for each subject and use paper clips to separate the sections. This saves me from having to write out names at the beginning of every quarter. I don't worry about writing grades and assignments in the "proper" day's column-I write the assignment at the bottom of the column below the kids names and have one row I mark value about 2 rows below where the kids' names end. Grades go where you would expect, and date of each assignment goes at the top of the column.

Did you buy the gradebook that had the name columns along the spiral? I got one of those, but I don't know if I want to use it considering where the name columns are. I don't know how that is supposed to work, but its nice to have the name columns on both sides of the spread and not just the far left of the left side/page.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 17, 2007

There are electronic grade books that you can buy. I use teacherease which is web based. I didn't have to pay for the 1st year that I used it.

I had a peer use Excel.

If possible, look at the report card & see how it is broken down. Then you can set up your gradebook that way.

11. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

The grade book I bought has the name going down the sides on both pages.

I like the paper clip idea! I was going to use sticy post it note and write the subject on top. I guess I could do both. Acutally, now that I think about it, I"m color coding my subjects, so I could use paper clips that represent those colors! OOOoooh :D

12. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

Hmmmm... I could use Excel. I don't want to spend the money right now on electronic grade books. Mainly because I may go back to kinder. I found an electronic grade book that is also free for the first year, probabaly the same one you're using. But, I don't want to commit to anything just yet.

13. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Jul 17, 2007

We have to put our grades on the computers as well and this year the rumor around town (or the building) is that we are going to some sort of program that lets the parents access grades via the web. I am not thrilled about this. I usually put most of my grade in the paper book and transfer them to the computer program when I get a chance, generally once every few weeks. I know parents will never go for this though.

14. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 17, 2007

You could have it posted in a newsletter that grades will be updated by a certain day each week. Or, you could post in your newsletter/website when the grades are updated each time. Our gradebook has the ability to post online, but only our middle school and high school does this.

15. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 17, 2007

I'm secondary math. TYpically I have 5 classes, and my school runs on trimesters.

I count out the number of pages, and divide them evenly among the 5 classes. For each trimester, one set of double pages is devoted to quizzes, the next for tests. (I put homework in a separate book-- the one the school gives us.) I separate the classes by paperclips.

I mark failing grades in red; it makes it easier to see who isn't passing. (And no, NO ONE looks in my grade book. If a parent wants to know how his or her child is doing, I write the grades on an index card for him.)

Tests that have been missed are big circles until they're filled in with a makeup grade. It also makes it easy to see which students have a tendency to be out when I'm testing.

16. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

Great! Thanks for the tips. Okay, red for failing grade and a cirlce for missed work.

17. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Jul 17, 2007

Can you explain how you are going to color code your subjects? I hope this is not a stupid question:eek:
    Thanks

18. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2007

This is a tip that I got from someone on here, I always forget her name! Anyways, I just plan to color code certain things such as:
    crates to hold folders in
    folders
    baskets that work will be turned into
    grade/correction
    paper clip for grade book

So, reading will be red. Their 2 pocket folder for reading will be red. The basket that they turn work into will be red. The crate that will store their red folders will be red. When I grade their work, I will use a red pen. Paper clip for grade book will be red.

Writing will be blue (let's say, I can't remember). So their 2 pocket folder will be blue. The basket they turn their work into will be blue. I will grade their work in blue. Paper clip for grade book will be blue.

And so on.

This is my first year so I'm sure I may adjust this or add more things that will be color coded.

EDIT TO ADD: as you can see, after being a kinder teacher, I've learned to really be anal and particular about running a classroom. Things are incredibly organized and well thought out. But then you see my house.....

19. Pooh42

Pooh42 Companion

Jul 17, 2007

I get it now!

Thanks a bunch,
    I'm always looking for new ways to do things to make my life easier:)

20. darzie

darzie Companion

Jul 17, 2007

I use EasyGradePro and I love it. I organize everything by subject, and I have things listed separately if they are a unit I'm doing for the report card. For instance, if I am teaching Early Explorers, I'll have a separate place to enter those grades instead of just entering them under Social Studies. That way, I can average grades for just that unit for their report card.

21. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 17, 2007

I piloted progressbook last semester; it is an online grade book that parent can access. Next year our entire district will try it, but it will not be available to parents. The year after next, we will be online for parents.

During the pilot my grades were online for parents; I had one parent call several times asking about updates. Her first call was two days after the pilot started! Her second call was the week after state achievement testing, so of course I had no grades for that week. Overall, it is easy to use and I am not concerned.

Our union did get the district to agree that policy would be that grades would be updated every two weeks.