How do you organize the little stuff?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bored of Ed, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2011

My teaching stuff is taking over the world and yet I still have more things I'd love to acquire. For now I've taken a temporary vow not to buy anything new...

I'm a resource room teacher and I don't have my own classroom (at least last year I didn't. And over the summer I certainly don't) so I accumulate things at home and bring them in as needed. I'm pretty good at organizing papers and books but I have a little stash of other assorted teaching tools: Decks of cards of all shapes and sizes that I've made for various uses; fraction strips, bars, and wheels; cuisinaire rods and counting manipulatives; prizes in girly, boyish, and unisex; stamps and stickers; myriad games and toys and whatnot. All odd shapes, many in baggies, all in small quantities because I tend to teach in ones and twos (i.e. I don't have a class set of cuisinaire rods that I would put in a bin and stack on top of my class size bin of dice)

Ideas?

3. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Jul 11, 2011

4. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2011

I buy the disposable food storage containers to hold all of that kind of stuff and put a label on it. Dollar Tree sells them in packs of 3-4 for a dollar. Last year, I hit the Target 90% off summer sale and got several packs of their containers for .24 a piece (with 3-4 in each pack). I danced all the way home.

I also use the three drawer containers to hold my extra supplies (like pencils) and cards. I label the front of those too so they are easy for people to find if needed.

5. janney

janney Cohort

Jul 11, 2011

I was going to suggest these as well. I love the small size and that all of my kinder kids can open and close them without problems. They are also very durable. I have used them for workstation pieces for two years and they look new still.

6. historynut

historynut Rookie

Jul 11, 2011

I recycled my son's formula canisters plus I went to the dollar store and bought the clear plastic shoe boxes.

7. CFClassroom

CFClassroom Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2011

I have tons of pictures and ideas on my classroom organization blog: The Clutter-Free Classroom, but based on your specific question and materials, I would use ziploc bags and then store those within larger containers of a uniform size. Try to keep like items together (i.e. math manipulatives). Good luck!

8. Mrs. Q

Mrs. Q Cohort

Jul 11, 2011

LOVE the latch boxes that were posted. Staples has them too, for pretty cheap - from tiny all the way up to crate-size. Since they're clear, you can see what's inside.

I have several in my desk drawers that hold stickers, binder clips, rubberbands, flash drives, etc.

I need to store my posters and bulletin board supplies but I haven't yet - they're all just in a closet. I teach HS, so I don't have that many, though.

9. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2011

Thanks for the suggestions... I wonder where I can stick a few dozen little boxes in my new place.... lol