How do you memorize your students' name?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by heiyanquanben, Jul 4, 2018.

1. maestraraven96

maestraraven96 Rookie

Jul 6, 2018

We have a game asking each other their names (Spanish class). And I participate as well. :)

2. mrsf70

mrsf70 Companion

Jul 7, 2018

I have a seating chart. Students use name tents for the first two weeks. After that, I'm good. I have 6 classes a day, 25 to 30 students per class.

3. That Business Guy

That Business Guy Rookie

Jul 10, 2018

Hello! I will be averaging 28 students per class this school year. I am terrible with remembering names of students. I have students sit in the same seat for the first few weeks and I work on remembering names while I pass back their work. For some reason it is easier for me to remember their name with a specific location.

You can also have students make name tags to put on their desks. This can be turned into an assignment where students have to put information about themselves (with pictures) on the inside of their name-tag so you can learn about their interests, hobbies, etc.

Some students will think it is childish to create name tags. Just remind them that prestigious business schools have their students complete the same assignment so teachers and classmates can learn each others' names.

Hope this helps!

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2018

I have used seating charts that show the student's picture with the name below it. I have had a software program that did this, but created the same type of thing making each name and picture a jpeg that I can move from class roster to class roster. Probably just spending the time working on these helps commit the name to the face. I work with constantly changing student population and rolling admission.

5. Coach Fallon

Coach Fallon Rookie

Jul 15, 2018 at 10:07 PM

I teach at a private school, where the student:teacher ratio is like 15 to 1, so not much memory is needed after inserting a seating chart. However, I worked in the public school system for 12 years prior to, where the ratio is like 25 to 1. So long story short, a seating chart is the way to go, unless you have insanely good memory.

6. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Jul 16, 2018 at 12:34 AM

I memorize before we even get into the classroom. As we are lining up for the first day of school I make sure I'm outside early enough to beat all the students to the line. Then as the students line up, I ask each student their name, taking careful notice of their eye color, why? I don't know. Memory trick someone told me once I think, and I repeat their name. Then after each new kid arrives I go back down the line and quiz myself on their names.
    Never not worked. I know everyone's name before we reach the classroom.

7. Clas1994

Clas1994 New Member

Jul 17, 2018 at 2:05 AM

I create chats in social networking, it consist of names and photo

8. Melani Glover

Melani Glover Rookie

Jul 17, 2018 at 6:37 AM

This is a very good question, lots of teachers face this problem. For me it is an organic process, it happens gradually and on its own. It starts with those students who are most attentive and respond most enthusiastically to my lessons, then there are those at the other extreme, lazy, lethargic, completely disinterested. At the end come those who are in between.