How do you know when it's time to move on from your current post?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kellzy, Apr 3, 2019.

1. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Apr 3, 2019

I work in a large district: there are more than 60 elementary schools, more than 10 middle schools and 8 high schools. I have always worked at the same school. I've been there for 10 years and I have always loved my school. I like the population, I like the grade level, I like my colleagues, but big changes are coming. We are getting a new administration-first new administration I've ever had, and two of my closest teacher friends are leaving: one is retiring, and one is taking an administrative internship. I've been considering for about a year whether or not it's time to leave my school and transfer to a new place.
    My thoughts:
    1. I would love to teach 4th grade or 5th grades but I don't want to at my school because there's always a few that I definitely don't want in my class again.
    2. With my closest people leaving maybe it would be good for me to get a fresh start somewhere else.
    3. I'm comfortable. This could be a good or a bad thing. For me it has increased my confidence, but maybe outside my comfort zone would be nice.
    4. I have some really good relationships with some of the families at my school who still have kids coming up.
    5. We are one of the few elementary schools in the district with a 1-to-1 tech ratio, and I utilize technology in nearly every lesson to some extent.
    For those of you who work in situations where you have plenty of transfer opportunities, how do you know when it's time to move on and transfer somewhere else?

3. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 4, 2019

My biggest suggestion is to make a "stay" list and a "go" list. Include anything you know about the other schools and the open positions there. See where your heart lands, not necessarily in terms of which list is longer.

kellzy likes this.
  4. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2019

Personally, if you like your school, I would probably stay. I would try to learn about the other schools to see if there is anything else you think you might like better.

Can you switch to a different grade level within your school?

kellzy likes this.
  5. UpperMidwest

UpperMidwest Rookie

Apr 4, 2019

When you mention transferring, are you thinking of transferring within the same district which I am assuming will preserve your seniority?

6. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Apr 4, 2019

Time for me to move on: When the money stops a flowin’, it’s time for me to get goin’.”

kellzy likes this.
  7. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Apr 4, 2019

Yes. Any transfer would be within my district. It would preserve my district seniority, and professional status (as opposed to provisional status), I would sacrifice school seniority.

8. UpperMidwest

UpperMidwest Rookie

Apr 5, 2019

I am not sure what the consequences of sacrificing school seniority are. Maybe consider volunteering at the school for a few days to see what it is really like; however, as they say the grass is not always greener, and you will likely find difficult kids at the other school, too. If your job security is unaffected, I can't really see a downside for switching except that you will probably not get to switch back if it isn't like how you thought it would be(?). But as another responder said, consider a stay and go list.

9. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Apr 25, 2019

I'm transferring to another building in my district this year. It's a small district, though. We only have one building per level, so I'm also changing grade-levels. I knew it was time to go when I just couldn't stomach the idea of being on the same team with the same colleagues again for another year and when the idea of moving excited me as opposed to scaring me. It was just a gut feeling.

10. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Apr 27, 2019

You're in Utah as well, aren't you? May I ask what district you teach for?

I left my last school because it was affecting me negatively. I was in a bad place mentally and emotionally.

11. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 28, 2019

I knew it was time to move on one year when our AP was promoted to P and this person was obviously biased toward people of the same ethnicity. Apparently, other teachers felt the same way because that year, of 75 teachers in the school, 32 of them requested transfers.

Reality Check likes this.
  12. Mami1Maestra2

Mami1Maestra2 Rookie

May 8, 2019

Maybe ask the approximately 30 people who are leaving my school this year. :(

13. futuremathsprof

May 9, 2019

Wait a minute, what?! Please explain in vivid detail. I teach at a high school with about ~2,750 students and we only have ~130 staff members (myself included). If 30 of us left, that would represent about 23% of the total staff!

14. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

May 9, 2019

That's what happens sometimes when an absolutely incompetent administrator is hired.

15. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

May 9, 2019

My school had 6 classroom teachers leave last year. This year we have 6 more (including me), plus an intervention teacher, leaving. In two years, that’s more than 50% of the classroom teaching staff.

It’s not because we got a new principal. Although we did get a new AP. It’s just because there are so many new initiatives that just aren’t well supported, and people are itching for a change. With all the change, teams dynamics change, and they can be good or bad. For me, it’s been bad, and that’s why I am moving on.

16. futuremathsprof

May 9, 2019

Oh my goodness. How does a school and the student body cope with such a huge loss?!

17. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

May 9, 2019

I might be making two lists at this point...

18. whizkid

whizkid Cohort

May 9, 2019

Long-term subs!

[​IMG]

19. futuremathsprof

May 9, 2019

Hahaha!