How do you feel about senior skip day?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by orangetea, Mar 22, 2012.

1. bison

bison Habitué

Mar 23, 2012

If the students are doing poorly in all of their classes and taking days off as they please, it sounds like a larger issue than the traditional senior skip day.

2. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Mar 23, 2012

Around here, senior skip day is usually the day after prom. Students use it as an excuse to "party" excessively, and sadly, many of them get in trouble because of it. We have such an issue with senior apathy and absences that we really try to come down hard on senior skip day, but beyond counting them unexcused and reporting it to their parents (and giving zeros for any work missed because it's unexcused), there's not a LOT we can do.

We certainly couldn't send our principal or administrator out to catch them because we live in a huge city... Sometimes I wish we could pay them that much attention.

3. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Mar 23, 2012

It's always been a tradition around here and it's not a big deal. Of course, it used to be more symbolic prior to the year 2000. For example, the class of '99 would set "Senior Skip Day" for 99 days prior to graduation. Once 2000 hit, I'm not sure how they picked the day. (Knowing our guys, they probably picked zero days before graduation! LOL!!!) :lol:

4. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 23, 2012

Yes some of ours have much larger issues! But I meant they just choose the day randomly as a class not like the day after prom or something.

5. waterfall

waterfall Phenom

Mar 23, 2012

In my HS it was a school sanctioned day. The school planned some sort of "field trip" for the seniors and you could either choose to show up and go to that or "skip". Regular classes for seniors weren't held. My year we went to a local university's rec center where you could go to the waterpark/pool or play sports on any of the courts/fields or even work out if you wanted to. We could choose to go to any restaurant within walking distance for lunch- so we were basically free to do whatever all day and they certainly didn't baby us or try to keep us all together or anything like that. The great majority of my class went. Our town wasn't too exciting- there wasn't really anywhere to go if you decided to skip so I guess most people thought the field trip was more fun. I think that was a good idea on the school's part- it basically made the whole thing a non-issue.

6. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2012

I don't even think our seniors do it. To me, it's not a big deal. I had it when I was a senior. We spent the night at the lake the night before and spent all day there the next. No big deal to our teachers or the admin. As long as the students are doing something safe and not illegal, it wouldn't be a big deal.

7. soldier86

soldier86 Rookie

Mar 23, 2012

Is what it is

I have mixed feelings about senior skip day. I participated in it when I was a senior. We went to the beach. It is one of my more cherished high school memories. This was the only day I had ever skipped in my entire four years of high school. So in that sense, I'd say let kids be kids. It is something they will probably remember and recall much later in life. At the same token, if they are out drinking, doing drugs, engaging in other risky behavior, or if they are chronic skippers then use caution. Each individual teacher should address the issue of senior skip day with their students. Explain to your students the consequences of skipping and the benefits of attending class. Let the chronic skippers know that this could be the determining factor in graduating. Explain to the students the consequences of risky behavior. Have they heard this speech before? I sure hope so. But it doesn't hurt to reiterate. I wouldn't intentionally schedule a test or assignment; this seems utterly cruel and shows how discounted some teachers are from their students. Social development is just as much an important aspect of high school as the actual education. Senior skip day to me is a day when all students regardless of which "click" or group they belong to can enjoy some of their final high school moments together. I would let the students know that they are responsible for the work they miss in class and possibly assign an additional homework assignment to cover the lecture, or class work missed. Just my two cents. Of course I am not a licensed teacher yet so I don’t know how much validity my argument holds. Heck I could turn into the most authoritarian teacher out there….. I sure hope not. :2cents:

8. teachin4ever

teachin4ever Cohort

Mar 23, 2012

I don't think it's a big deal, if the student choosing to skip is doing well in his/her classes and isn't skipping on a day when there's a test or something due.

I have to say though, my parents NEVER would have called in an absence so I could skip school, whether it was "skip day" or not.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Aficionado

Mar 23, 2012

I skipped on senior skip day. The only day I ever skipped in my life.

Here it is the day before prom. Go to the beach, work on your tan, get your last-minute prom stuff done.

When I was in high school it wasn't a big deal. The principal routinely went to the beach to catch kids skipping (the local principals alternated days and drug anyone who looked like they should be in school back to the beach police to handle it, lol) But on senior skip day they didn't bother.

I don't remember missing any assignments. All of my teachers just taught seniors, except for one and my best friend and I ran that class so it wasn't a big deal.

The only time I've taught seniors in the spring was when I kids who routinely skipped anyhow. So it wouldn't have impacted my day either. If I had a senior course I would do something a bit lighter that day and just let the kids be.

10. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Mar 23, 2012

I will say that our school gave us off the day of prom. Our prom was always Friday. That was really nice!

11. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Mar 23, 2012

I find it a joke and quite indicative of why education is so undervalued in our modern society. It's the "I should get this because of X where X equals I exist" mentality that gets you exactly nowhere in life.

I felt the same way when I was in school 14 years ago.

12. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Mar 24, 2012

We have senior skip day, duly announced via Facebook I suppose, but it is always a failure. The seniors come to school anyway, with few exceptions. "I didn't want to get behind." or "I had a test in physics" or "My mom wouldn't let me," they say. I am blessed to work in a small nerdish enclave, behind the times, here in the hills.

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Phenom

Mar 24, 2012

There has always been talk of senior skip day, even back when I was a student. However, nobody really ever does it. The attendance wasn't any worse than normal on "skip day". The closest we ever got was bringing notes from parents to let us check out. We'd leave, go get sandwiches from the local store, and head to the nearby state part and go hiking and swimming. We didn't really ever miss anything because it was the last week of school. The grades were already turned in, and there weren't any finals.

I figure that if they are old enough to make that decision, they are old enough to face any consequences.

Normally our seniors are all old enough to check themselves out of school. (They don't have to have a parent note from 18 or older.) I graduated at 17, so I had to have a parent note.

14. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Mar 26, 2012

At my high school senior ditch day was the Monday after prom. It might change once I become a real teacher, but I don't really have a problem with them ditching one day of school.

15. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Mar 26, 2012

In my school, we encourage parents to call in because if they don't,then they lose 3 points off their term grade.
    We're fine with them skipping one day as a class, but I get worried with multiple absences from seniors.