How do you feel about prizes or prize boxes?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by otterpop, Jun 26, 2014.

?

Do you use a tangible reward system?

1. Yes, a classroom system

11 vote(s)
    35.5%
  2. Yes, a school-wide system

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  3. Yes, both classroom and school-wide

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  4. Only for specific students

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  5. No

7 vote(s)
    22.6%
  6. None of these answers fit (please explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jun 26, 2014

How do you feel about prize boxes, or prizes in general, for things like good behavior or other things kids should be doing anyway (attending school, turning in homework, etc)?

---

I'm against these things in theory, because I believe that intrinsic motivation is important, but have found that prizes or rewards work in certain situations. This is true for all grades I've worked with, from PreK-12. I worked with at-risk high school kids once. The administration set up a prize program for students with good attendance. If they attended 5 days in a row, they could get a candy bar, 10 days in a row, a small gift card, and a month, a large gift card or really cool prize (like video games or iPods). The school asked employees to ask businesses for donations. The idea behind it, according to administration, was that these prizes provided an incentive for behavior with the hope that it would eventually become a habit, with no incentive needed. That, I suppose, is the general hope behind every incentive program.

It just feels lame to be "bribing" kids when they should be behaving anyway, but as we all know, just because they should doesn't mean they will. There are all kinds of books and research on why both are effective, but I'm curious what others' personal views are.

So... thoughts?

3. Leatherette

Leatherette Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

i see those things as a way to change kids' habits, then by experiencing success they become more intrinsically motivated to experience it again. In my experience, it does not demotivate kids who are intrinsically motivated to start with, and it does not do much for kids from wealthier families who do not lack for material things. If it helps a particular kid, I'm all for it, but it is not the ideal or a cure-all.

4. bros

bros Phenom

Jun 27, 2014

It's a useful motivation in an elementary classroom and especially special education

5. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 27, 2014

I'm motivated with gifts too:) One of my favorites was present at a faculty meeting and earn dress down every Monday for @ month. (We can wear jeans on Friday as long as we wear a school t_shirt) I have a treasure box and I'm sewing up crafts to include in my box this summer.

6. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 27, 2014

I have a prize box but the kids only choose from it when they bring in a completed home reading sheet.

For whole class rewards we do experiences - picnic outside, piñata, extra computer time, play board games, etc.

7. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 27, 2014

I agree with Donziejo. Even adults are motivated by prizes. Why else would time share reps offer so many goodies if you ''just listen'' to their 90 minute presentation? :rolleyes:

It does feel like bribery at times, but it gives the kids something to look forward to and in my experience it has motivated good behavior from pre-K to 6th (i've never worked w/higher grades than that)

I open my prize box every other week and in order to shop the ''big'' prizes you have to have all stars OR a combination of ONLY greens (good job) and stars (great job) on your behavior sheet. If you have 3 yellows and everything else is a green or star, then you get to shop at the ''small'' prize table.

Big prizes = happy meal toys, coloring books, plastic necklaces, headbands, bottle of bubbles, various games, jump ropes, etc (so stuff from the dollar store)

Small toys = colorful pencils, erasers, maybe a single sticker (cheap prizes)

8. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jun 27, 2014

We are a PBIS school, so students earn "paws" and can cash them in for rewards. Some of the rewards are things like bring a stuffed animal to school, sit in the teachers chair, and other things that are "free." Each classroom comes up with their own menu of rewards.

The office has prizes available, and teachers can have prizes in their classrooms. Some children are really motivated to work towards a little trinket or book. If it were up to me, I wouldn't have a rewards system, though.

9. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2014

Yep. I use rewards and prizes. Our early childhood section does not... They actually use a Reggio Emilia approach in EC, but not us in elementary. Many of us in elementary use group points, stickers, punch cards and prizes.

10. allaragallagher

allaragallagher Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

Prizes, to a lesser degree, work in high school. I remember loving a teacher who when you raised your hand to answer a question, he would toss those plastic toys or stickers you get out of a quarter machine to you. You had to catch it, everyone would laugh. It made him fun. He would tell us our assignment and then turn on music. If we started getting loud or off task, the music would start getting quieter and quieter.

When my dad worked at a middle school as a school safety officer, he would bring candy. I used candy ONCE as a student teacher and will never do it again. My mentor teacher rewarded classes with food -- pizza, cake, a breakfast platter, whatever -- or movie days.

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 27, 2014

Treasure box was something I used as a new teacher. It's just not something I see a need for in my classroom anymore, and truthfully, I don't think anyone in my K-4 uses one either.

12. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Jun 27, 2014

Our school policy forbids teachers from giving out anything.... So, no candy... not even a Band-Aid if someone needs one.... :(

13. time out

time out Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

I have a classroom store system where students can purchase fun school supplies with their stamps that they earn for good behavior. I love it because it allows students to make choices about spending or saving. It also lends itself to teaching responsibility.

In my class, if students lose or damage materials, they have to pay me with their stamps. But on the other hand, students can earn raises for going above and beyond.

14. SleekTeach

SleekTeach Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

Many teachers are just like the students. PD is something we should be going to anyway, but most of us (at my school) expect to be compensated for going. I think a reward system is great for kids, it lets them know their hard work and good behavior isn't going unnoticed. At my school we have a school wide system called Panther Bucks and the kids can go to the Panther Store at the end of the 6 weeks. In my class I have a treasure chest full of stuff from dollar tree.

15. time out

time out Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

I love that your school has a store. I remember buying supplies from our high school store but that wasn't the same =)

Who runs the Panther store? Do teachers take turns or is it only open during certain hours?

16. Luv2TeachInTX

Luv2TeachInTX Comrade

Jun 27, 2014

Absolutely, I have a reward system. Positive reinforcement is a powerful thing. It rewards children who already do the right thing and motivates those who may not otherwise to do well.

17. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jun 27, 2014

I have no problem with rewarding student. I have a treat box full of pencils, fun erasers, bracelets and matchbox cars. We are a PBIS school, so students also earn bucks that can be spent at the school store every grading period.

18. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2014

I don't have a problem with prizes, but I don't use them in my classroom because I don't think the vast majority of the kids are well-behaved enough to deserve a prize. My school uses prizes/incentives/contests to promote attendance, wearing school uniform, etc.

Every year I taught MS, we did PBIS with lots of prizes, rewards and activities. I've never seen PBIS work effectively in regards to changing the long-term behavior of the problems kids. It simply rewarded the kids who would behave even without an incentive and the borderline kids that weren't that big of a headache to begin with.

19. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Jun 27, 2014

I'm not sure how to interpret your mentioning a treasure box ????? I do use one and commented on it. Do you think a reward system is used only for a need? Something for me to think about. My using a reward system and sewing crafts to use motivate me .... I guess I like to have fun as much as the kids, but I consider it more a want then a need

20. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2014

Why should we not expect to be compensated for work outside of contractual hours? If I go to a PD outside of the hours between 7:50 - 3:10; then I deserve compensation. REAL compensation - not a free lunch, a free cooler/lunchbox, a free pen, a free mini calendar etc.

21. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 27, 2014

We are a PBIS district; therefore, each site has a PBIS rewards system in place.

As a teacher, though, I did have a classroom rewards system in full effect.