How do you deal with kids not turning in homework?

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Peachyness, Nov 10, 2006.

1. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2006

I send home a weekly homework pack. They go home on Mondays and come back on Fridays. When they come back on Fridays, I go through the packs, put a stamp on the cover page, and put a check on my homework log. Now, I have kids, every now and then who won't turn in their homework. Sometimes they'll bring them in the next Monday. That's fine. But, I'm working on report cards right now and I'm wondering that I definately could have done more to inform parnents about missing homework. Problem is, I can imagine them saying to me "We lost it. Can you get me another one?" I don't have time to go through all homework packs and make copies for the children who diddn't turn them in. This happend last year, which is why I was hesietent to let them know this year. It's not a major problem, but it's just a homework pack here and there. Also, each homework pack equals about 10 homework assingments. So, if one's missing, it looks like a lot is missing. So, what do you guys do? I'm trying to make my life and my parents life as easy as possible.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2006

My homework pack is sent home Monday but I check that each day' work is done every day. On Friday the kids must turn it in. If they don't do homework, I put a note in their folder to make up the missing work that evening. If the pack is missing on Friday I send a note in their Friday folder about the missing pack. On any day that HW is missing kids must sign my missing hw book. They can check their name off when they bring it in (hopefully the next day) but at least I have a record for when it is report card/conference time of how many hw were missed by each kiddo.

4. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Habitué

Nov 10, 2006

Right now, I don't do anything. It is more the parents than the kids I think. But I want to teach them responsibility but most of my activities require guidance from an adult. They are the ones who aren't responsible.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 10, 2006

Check homework daily and include a little 'parent initial' spot on each day's work for parents to sign.

6. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2006

Right, I don't hold the kids accountable. My homework packs require parents assistents as their are games and stuff, but I like the idea of including a little note in their folder. Do parents ever ask you to give them a new pack if they lost it?? I do have an area where parents sign, but that's when it's all completed. The reason why I do a weekly pack is so that I don't have to check homework on a daily basis. I don't have an aide and it's just to make my life easier.

7. Rosieo

Rosieo Enthusiast

Nov 10, 2006

On our report cards there is a area that says
    "Completes and returns homework on time."
    I certainly do mark the appropriate grade there.
    We use 1, 2, 3, & 4's in this area. 1- Always, 2 - Frequently, 3- Sometimes, 4 - Needs Improvement. I do not hesitate to give out 3's and 4's if that is what they deserve. The parents need to start teaching their children about responsibility early.

8. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 10, 2006

Right, on my report cards we actually write the number of homework assigned and how much was returned. Most of my kids are fine, but I also have some who are missing some. When parents get the report cards, I know some will think, "well, why didn't she tell us that he was missing so many!" Becauase I hav 19 other kids, assessments, interventions to do, lesson plans to prepare, paper work to fill out, an observation to get ready for, etc, etc, etc.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Nov 11, 2006

If it hasn't been too long, don't sweat it, but I had a teacher wait 6 months to tell me my child missed 90% of his homework. I was pretty burned up. I wasn't getting any notices, I was looking at and signing my child's log book, and my child was telling me they don't get much homework in that class. I didn't know. 6 months. Nothing on his reportcard, progress notes, or anything else. Wow!

10. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2006

Wow, DeafinlySmart, it wasn't even mentioned on the report cards! That's pretty bad!

11. abby1966

abby1966 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006

At our school, we check their homework daily. We have a disicipline policy at our school and not having your homework goes under not being responsible so therefore you get a tally mark for that. We keep a weekly behavioral chart with each students name listed and everytime that you have to call them down they get a tally and are moved levels. Not having homework gets you a tally plus it also gets you silent lunch at a table by yourself. You are allowed to eat lunch and then you have to complete your homework. Plus on the weekly folders that I send home I send their behavior for that week and also let the parents know which assignments and which days they did not bring in their homework.

12. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 11, 2006

I came across this on a website a while ago, I dont know if it will work for Kinder, but it is good communication for the parents on parent teacher interview night.

[​IMG]

Sorry it's so big.

Mr. Skinner :D Move the slider below

13. h2omane

h2omane Comrade

Nov 11, 2006

It works for all grades, and the kids wonder what happens when they get too many, it is up to each teacher's creative genius...

Mr. Skinner :D

14. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2006

I like the idea of giving a pink slip, but not to my students- it'll be a pink slip for my PARRENTS. Kinders are only 4 and 5, I'm not holding them liable for homework, only for classroom work. But, it's parents job to do the homework, hence the "home" in homework. So, I really like the idea of putting in a pink slip in the child's folder after I check their homework on Fridays. Thanks for the ideas!

15. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 11, 2006

First of all, if you can't hold the kids liable for the homework because they are too young, then you shouldn't be giving it to them. The work is worthless anyway because you don't even know how much was done by the parents. My kids never had homework in kindergarten. Why aren't you just assessing what they do in class. Even in the older grades homework may count for part of the learning skills and responsibility, but generally it's just practice work and shouldn't be graded. At least that's how I was taught.

16. lw3teach

lw3teach Companion

Nov 11, 2006

I am of that opinion too. It is unfortunate though, if you have to have an actual homework slot on your report card. When I read that, my eyes nearly popped out of my head. Homework should not be graded, nor should it be something that is on a report card. I know I am pretty extreme in this, but Canadian Teacher is right... we don't have any idea who is doing the work, nor do we know what is going on in the household on that particular night. Teachers should be responsible for grading what can be seen in the normal regular classroom. I only give a minimal amount of homework.. a reading book once or twice a week, and a math home link. Sometimes I think we don't let kids be kids anymore.

17. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 11, 2006

I also forgot to say that parents don't want to be responsible for doing homework....they are busy too and just don't have time to spend another hour teaching at night when they are tired and when their kids are probably tired. Besides, it can really put a strain on both parties when parents try to teach their own kids. I have had many of those times when my kids would just not listen to me when I was trying to show them how to do something because they thought I was saying something different from the teacher when it as really them who misunderstood the teacher (which happens more than you can imagine at that age). So what are you going to tell parents who 'don't do their homework'....you fail, you're a bad parent? It's just not a realistic request, at least not on a regular basis.

18. abby1966

abby1966 Rookie

Nov 11, 2006

I teach 5th grade and at some point these kids have to be accountable and responsible. I hold them accountable and they know there are consequences for coming to school without their homework.

19. Lesley

Lesley Habitué

Nov 11, 2006

At my current school we send home a packet of papers on Monday that is to be returned by Thursday. Most kids bring it back by Thursday and those that do not, get a reminder to return it on Friday. However, the school I taught at at the beginning of this school year sent one paper home a night for the K kids to do. Each child had a folder to take home every night and the homework was placed in it. I had the parent initial the HW sheet stapled in the folder. I liked this system a lot better than the packet of papers my current school is doing. I am hoping the homework packet system changes next year for the K kids, one page a night seems to be just right instead of trying to remember a packet of papers at the end of the week. Most parents misplace the packets anyway.

20. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 11, 2006

By fifth grade, they definitely should be. I just don't think there's a point in k. My grade 7s have to stay in and finish their homework at recess if they didn't do it. If they manage to finish it in class, they still stay in at recess and I give them something else.

21. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2006

I understand your point. But, I have several reasons why I assign homework. First of all, we do have a homework policy where we must assign homework, but we don't give them a score, like you get an A or you get a F. I just write down how many was assigned and how many were returned. I orientated my parents on why I assign homework and that they need to work with their kids. I can tell too, when I check my homework. It's all in my kids handwriting. Also, I assign homework that directly corresponds to what's happening in my class. First of all, in my math program, it's all hands on, but their are worksheets for each lesson. I send those home so that the parents can see exactly how the child is doing in math. They are very family orentated, meaning parents and kids play games and things like that. Also, I send home homework so my parents know exactly how their child is doing in school. If the assginments says, make an AB pattern and the child can't, then the parent knows right away that their child needs to work on this.
    Lastly, I send home homework because yes, parents are busy, but these homework packs do not take longer than 10-15 minutes to do. They are quick, painless, and I actually get good reports from parents who say that they actually enjoy the homework packs that I send home. I got it last year when I first started sending them home and I am getting that same response again too.
    Also, I was sending home these homework packs that the other kinder teachers were creating and they were double the work!! I told them, let's not forget that they are still 4 and 5, they are kids. I told them that I was going to do my own thing! I actually fought for them! So, I understand that, yes, they are still kids, but Kindergarten, in reality, is now first grade. And so, we need to up the workload, unfortunately. That's the reality. Maybe when the pendulum swings the other way... But, right now, In CA and at my school district, that's just how we do thngs. Parents aren't complaining, because I have asked them about this during parent teacher conferences, and I got nothing but good things from them. So, it's at least working for me.
    thank your for you input though. I like that because it let's me think about whether or not I am doing the right thing.