How do you deal with kids choosing books

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by pamms, Aug 7, 2008.

1. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 7, 2008

Often when kids get done with work, they have time to read, which is great, but sometimes that ends up being more time spent looking for books than actually reading them. I have tried having the kids keep a book at their desk, etc, but it seems some kids just tend to look at a book briefly then go get another one, and another one...
    Then the more they are book shopping, the more chance there is for talking at the bookshelf. In these early grades (2nd) some of the books are pretty short and don't take a lot of time to read, and I don't want kids stuck with a book they aren't interested in, but I do want them to choose one and stick with it for a while rather than spending time at the shelf. How do you deal with this?

Thanks!!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 7, 2008

I've always had this problem, too. I just finished reading The Daily Five by the sisters, and I like the way they handle it. At the beginning of the year, they pick the books to go in each student's book bin. They have mini-lessons on how to pick books and practice a great deal. In fact, modeling and practice is what makes all of their program work. So, I'm going to make sure that this year the kids know how to pick books, and, once they do, that they don't waste time just 'window shopping'.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Aug 7, 2008

I also have trouble with this. My kids know to always have a book, and that if they are close to finishing, to have a second one ready to go. I have several designated times to pick books; this helps cut down on browsing when they should be reading.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 7, 2008

My kids each have a book bin- other teachers use book sacks, on the back of the chair pockets or cereal boxes for book shopping. My kids shop for books on their table's assigned day (Monday- table 1, Tuesday table 2...)I confer with each kid on their book shop day so I know if they have appropriate books in their bins. I also have a rotating book display with browse books based on themes/topics we may be studying in content areas....

6. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 8, 2008

This year I'm going to have mail boxes for the kids to keep their books and reading journals in. I think we'll also do a "shopping" day when kids can turn in their books and pick out new ones.

7. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2008

I also have my students keep a "just right" book in their book bins. They also have their reading group book and a "snack book" in the bin. At the beginning of the year, we learn how to choose a just right book. Students meet with me in reading groups to discuss the book they've chosen.

8. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

My kids are only allowed to go book shopping in the am, bf we start checking morning work, or during dismissal as they are waiting for buses to be called. They select 5 books to keep in thier book boxes at all times, so if they don't get to go book shopping for a few days it shouldn't matter. There are always books in their box that haven't been read red. So if you do this, early finishers can grab thier box and take it back to thier seats, wasting less time bok shopping.

9. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

oh also, I encourage them to have both chaptre and pic books so that they arent flying through the pic books. I show even my lower reader "chapter" books that are just right, like henry and mudge, frog and toad, etc. I also encourage the high reader to pic more challeneging pic books. This is all from the read to self section of the daily 5.

10. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2008

This is how I do it in my classroom too. The kids have a set morning once a week to browse and shop for new books for their book boxes. It works well. if kids need to get new books before that time, I allow them shop, but typically just once a week.

11. pamms

pamms Comrade

Aug 8, 2008

Thanks

These are great ideas. Thank you! I will have to check out "the Daily Five" I'm not really familiar with it. :)