How do you deal with forged signatures?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Peregrin5, Oct 26, 2014.

1. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 26, 2014

One of my systems to keep students accountable for getting projects in on time is that they get a one letter grade reduction and they need to get it signed by their parents.

I'm pretty certain I have at least two posters which have forged signatures on them. (as you know, kids are really bad at forging signatures)

I'd like to send them an email rather than call them because it's the weekend, but how would you deal with it without accidentally telling a parent that their signature looks like a 13 year old forged it (if that was their real signature).

3. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2014

I only had this happen once... it was very, very clearly the child's handwriting.

I'd call and say, "Hi, I just wanted to double-check that you signed Janie's project. The signature is a little hard for me to read."

4. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 26, 2014

"Dear Ms. Parent,

As per my class policy, any late project requires a parent signature. Your child recently turned in poster with your signature on it. Because the signature looks similar to your student's typical handwriting, I was hoping I could confirm that you did see the poster and sign it. Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,
    Peregrin5"

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 26, 2014

I agree with the previous posters in just verifying with the parent.

Just thought I'd share a story from working with the little ones. I once had a conduct chart signed in pencil with the word "Mom". ;)

6. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 26, 2014

I really do have parents sign it Mrs. Lastname. Always throws me for a loop though! Then there are the kids with the exact same name as their parents.

You can always ask the secretary. Ours would be able to tell.

7. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Oct 26, 2014

I called once for a fourth grader that I thought was forged. The mother of the child told me it was most likely her husband's signature as he writes sloppy. Oops.

8. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Oct 26, 2014

I had a suspected forgery a couple weeks ago. I scanned the signature and sent it to the parents' e-mail stating that I thought the signature looked like the boy's handwriting and could they verify that dad had signed it. I got a response back that day with confirmation that it was forged and to punish child and they'd deal with it at home as well. Then dad e-mailed again adding on to let the football coach know so that he'd have a consequence there as well as "that's something he'll care about." So, anyways, while it was awkward to send the e-mail, it really did look like a forgery and having the scanner available made it super easy to have verified.

9. slvrangel22

slvrangel22 New Member

Oct 26, 2014

Just call and be honest. Even be honest about you feeling awkward making this kind of call. Say you have reason to believe that this may have been a forged signature. If you're students are like my students, mine barely know cursive, so it's usually obvious. Also some will sign in pencil! Parents usually sign in pen.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Oct 26, 2014

I got a note from a 'doctor' excusing the child from PE. It was suspiciously signed Doctor Louie or something like that. The kid's grandpa wrote it.

11. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 26, 2014

Yeah. It's signed in pencil in horrendously bad cursive.

12. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 26, 2014

I confront the child first to give them a chance to come clean. Then I have them call fhome and admit what they did. Two that stand out are a boy who signed his dad's girlfriend's name on his graded paper. That one was easy because he spelled her name wrong. lol
    The other was a boy who signed dad's name to his graded papers. When we called home dad assured me he would handle it. He sent pictures the next day. He wrote his name with spray paint on the ground and his son had to use a shovel to dig it out. He said, "let the punishment fit the crime."

13. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 26, 2014

I would have never ever come up with that. LOL. That's some creative parenting there.

14. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Oct 27, 2014

He's a lawyer. Creative problem solving is in his job. Lol

15. deenamathew

deenamathew Rookie

Oct 29, 2014

It is better to call the parents and talk to them about this issue. If we inform them face to face. So that they can take action and see that it doesn't happen in future.

16. SF_Giants66

SF_Giants66 Cohort

Oct 29, 2014

When I was in 8th grade, one of my classmates glued on his mom's signature to a piece of paper.

17. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 29, 2014

A friend of mine told me that when she was in school (middle and high) she would sign all the papers the school sent home at the beginning of the year (you know, all the packets and syllabus and classroom expectations that are sent home during the first weeks). Then whenever she had detention, she signed it, and they never knew that it was her. If they compared them, they were the same.

18. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 29, 2014

I got really good at forging my dad's signature. We never had to get anything bad signed or grade cards, but I was forever forgetting permission slips for movies and such. I'm sure we have kids doing the same thing now!

19. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 29, 2014

I don't think I would call home.

I would walk the kid to the phone and make HIM call home. Tell him you want to hear him ask mom or dad to be sure they signed it. Dollars to donuts that phone call won't be necessary after the confession.

20. UCLACareerChngr

UCLACareerChngr Comrade

Oct 30, 2014

The best is when the kids have a permission slip due, they forgot it, then magically, halfway through class, they "find it" signed in their backpack...I always tear it up and have them bring another one the next day...although that one's probably forged as well... :(

21. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Oct 30, 2014

[​IMG]