How do you deal with absent/makeup work in your classroom

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by lauranne26, Aug 14, 2008.

1. lauranne26

lauranne26 Rookie

Aug 14, 2008

I'm looking for some ideas! My current system is to post the daily activities (drill, activities, papers collected, homework) on Edline, and I have a spot in my room for extra handouts. I've found that my students are lax in turning in whatever papers need to be turned in. What's your procedure for dealing with absent students and their work?

3. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

I am trying this approach: I am assigning weekly homework on Monday (due Thursday) and posting it online. Homework is due when I ask for it at the beginning of class. Turn it in after that and it is late (I staple papers together if I can, so I know who tried to slip a late paper in the pile). Physics students will get chapter homework due on chapter review day. If a student is absent and there is a worksheet that day, I will put their name and the date on a copy and place it in their class' absent folder. It will be their responsibility to check it and get their paper. Excused absences will get 2 days per absent day to complete to be considered on time, unexcused will only get 1 day. Anything over 1 week late I will not accept, especially if I have returned the graded assignment to others in class.

4. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2008

I keep a clipboard for each class. When someone is absent and misses a quiz or test, I put it on the clipboard. I would always forget to ask them for their HW though. this year I have made a form that has a check list of what we covered for the day like notes taken, HW collected, pages read, etc. I think I'll always have some student willing to collect the day's paperwork. Then I put it in the class folder which is where I put graded papers ready to be handed back. Not sure if I explained that right.

5. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 14, 2008

I spend pretty much all of back to school night explaining that make up work is not my responsibility - it is up to the student to ask.

Now, that said, once per grading period period I'll have a day where I post all missing work and make up options for them. Everything turned in then gets a late penalty regardless of why it was missed.

This has saved me a ton of headaches. I hated looking back through my attendance to see who had missed (if I took attendance at all...).

6. sumnerfan

sumnerfan Comrade

Aug 14, 2008

A teacher at my school really helped me with this. She gave me an attendance form with two columns on it. In the first I (or a student) writes the names of the absent students then on the back we put what we did that day including any handouts needed with the missing student's name on them. Students must check the folder and sign in the second column showing they picked up their work. Then they have the number of days they missed plus one to make up any work.

I really like this system. It seems to be working for me.

7. sciencegurl

sciencegurl Companion

Aug 14, 2008

I get swamped with late work if I allow it to be turned in too long past the deadline. I have a file folder in my room (next to the turn in basket), where I put folders labeled M-F. I have a set for each prep I teach. I put extra copies of homework in the folders. Each week I replace the homework from the week prior. If the homework is not in the folders any longer, it's not accepted for late. All late work is worth 50%, but they do have 1 free late per quarter (worth 100% late). I keep track of that right in our electronic gradebook. Additionally, this year I am going to have a logbook for each class with daily forms in them. The form will have a place to record what was done for the day (notes taken, video watched, homework assigned, labs done etc.). I haven't made the form yet, but it will be a fill-in form. I will have students complete the log for credit. Everyone will have to complete the log several times throughout the year. I will post the names of the kids to complete the log on the board that day. They will receive credit if it is complete, neat and correct. If a student is absent, they can check the log to get the work, and check the file to get copies of the homework.

8. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 14, 2008

I have a file bin with folders labeled 1-31 and then last month. I keep absent work in here for the current month as well as the past month. A student helper fills out a "What you missed sheet" noting what we did in class, what the student needs to do, due dates, etc. and a copy all the handouts distributed that day. If the student misses a quiz/test they have to consult my after school sign up clipboard and sign up for the makeup within a week of their absence. (They also use this for any other reason they need to stay after). I also keep a copy of all course handouts and what we did in class each day on my website.

9. GatorGal

GatorGal Cohort

Aug 14, 2008

I have a "While you were out" notebook that stays in the front of the room. My student aide fills in the agenda daily. When a student is absent, they look at the notebook to see what we did and then see their assigned "study buddy" for notes/clarification.
    I don't distribute too many handouts, but when I do, I usually write each absent student's name on the top and then give it to them after they've gone to the notebook and study buddy.
    As far as collecting makeup work, I also have a clipboard for each class with a roster and all checked assignments on it. They have three days to make up the work, and I just update my clipboard.

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 14, 2008

The late work policy in my district is that students have 3 days to make up any assignments missed due to absence. I allow students longer if they approach me and make special arrangements.

I very rarely allow late work to be turned in if a student wasn't absent--like if they just "forgot" that it was due or something. There are certainly special circumstances where I'll allow it, but my general rule is no late work. I don't care to mess around with taking off percentages based on the number of days late it was....That's far too much work for me. I also think that it is an unfair and inaccurate way to determine a student's overall grade. We assign grades based on how well a student is able to demonstrate mastery of a particular topic, not on their timeliness. At least that's my opinion.

I post assignments on our class website, along with specific instructions about how and when to access and turn in those assignments. It's up to the individual students to check the site, find their missing work, complete it in a timely manner, and turn it in. I am not the homework police.

Having said all that, most students rarely complete missing work, even when I do take a more proactive approach. For this reason, the bulk of student grades in my gradebook are based on student assessments and cumulative projects, rather than on individual, practice-type assignments.

11. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 14, 2008

I am making up a form for absent work for the day. It will include date, names, and space to write the missing work. Then I am going to have a space for students to sign when they get the work. That way I have a document of who got their work and exactly what it is I told them to do in case there are any problems. I am careful to include other message too, like if I changed a paper due date or something.

I will keep all this in a binder.

12. SciTeacherNY

SciTeacherNY Companion

Aug 15, 2008

I keep a manila folder for each class. Inside I have a sheet with "date, student name, lesson topic, work handed out, work made up" When a student is absent I have another student take their worksheets and label then with their name and then they are placed inside of the folder. When the student comes back to school, I hand them their makeup work when everyone is working on the bell ringer. I make sure to check the box "work handed out." It is then the student's responsibility to get the work back to me within 48 hours. At this point the "Work made up box" will be checked.

13. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 15, 2008

It's their job. I believe that the kids need to learn to be responsible, and there are 180 of them and only one of me. I give a day to turn in work missed due to absence, and they must write ABSENT on the top of the page or they will get a late penalty. My policy is up to a week late = 20% off and after that it's 50%. I use a date stamp to help me keep on top of when things were turned in. I have thought about some kind of form system but I don't think that I would be able to keep up with it for more than a week. Parents are usually understanding when I tell them that it was the child's responsibility to get missed work.

In the middle of each report period I print a sheet for each student with the work they have done and the work they owe, plus current grades. They really like being able to see where they stand. Of course at that point anything they're missing would be 50% off but overall I'd rather have them turn it in than not. I've never had a kid who turns in everything fail my class. D, yes, but it's really hard to fail every single assignment.

14. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

Aug 24, 2008

Similar to some of the other people posting here, I have a central area for students who have been absent to find their work. I have a student planner (same one all the kids have) taped to the table top. A volunteer scribe enters the agenda, bellwork and homework assignment each day. Next to the planner is a set of 31 numbered hanging folders. If there are handouts on a particular day, the extras are put in the numbered folder that corresponds to the date. Students are to go to the planner on their return and copy the assignments they missed, check for any handouts. Then they maycome to me if they don't understand what the assignment was or how to do it. This way they are responsible for themselves and I minimize the time spent going over the assignment again and again.

I told the kids that if they don't have a signed excuse for not having an assignment in on time, unless they have been absent, then they are getting a zero for that assignment even if they turn it in late.

15. fargo21

fargo21 Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

putting the student's hw assignment and its due date in a folder may help. students could supply their own folder and the teacher could make it known that she expects the folders to be on her desk on the due date. if a folder isn't there, then the student must not have completed the assignment. you could also have a point system with the hw assignments. if a student turns all homework on time for an entire month he or she could earn a number of points.

16. Maddy 1983

Maddy 1983 Rookie

Aug 26, 2008

My system last year consisted of:
    Each course had it's own wall (where I posted work, posters, etc.) Well on each wall, I had a folder for every two days of the month (so 16). Then I put all handouts inside. Anyways, next to each folder, I had an absentee sheet. At the end of each period, I wrote the student's name on the sheet under the approperiate dated column. Well when the student came back, I told him or her to check the columns, received the corresponding work from the folders, and initial next to his or her name (to state they received the work). Then for each day absent, they get that day + 1 day extra. When they go to turn in work, they must clip a little statement I made stating why they missed the work, when they first received the work, and the date they're turning it in. I really liked this system because I had 138 students last year, so organization was key!

The only downside what it took up a lot of room!

17. aminikol

aminikol New Member

Apr 23, 2012

article with an idea

Classroom Management: Handling Absent Students
    November 17th, 2008 By: Diane Trim in Articles, Teachers' Corner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One February the ’flu hit our high school and kids were absent for days at a time. When they returned, ashen-faced and fatigued, no one mobbed me for their missing work. They sat in their seats and worked on the sponge activity instead.

I had a system in place for absent students and their missing work, so everyone was calm and not coughing over me while I took roll.

In the beginning of the year, I had a stack of two-part half-page forms printed out. The forms had the place for the student’s name at the top, the date, and a checklist of the typical assignments I had in my class. At the bottom of the form was a place for special instructions and signatures.

I kept this stack, along with a pile of carbon paper at the front of the class. My students sat in pairs. While students were working on the sponge activity and I was taking roll, I approached a student whose partner was absent. I put a mini chocolate bar on the student’s desk, along with the two-part form, a paperclip, and a piece of carbon paper.

During the lesson, the partner copied the assignments onto the two-part form, collected and clipped handouts to the form, took notes using the carbon paper, and ate the candy bar. The partner gave me the stack on her way out the door.

The next day, while I took roll, I pulled out the stack of absentee forms from the class’s folder. While students were working on the sponge activity, I delivered the work packets to students who had been absent.

Upon delivery, I wrote the date everything was due at the bottom and initialed the two-part form. The student signed as well and I gave him the top copy and the paperclipped work and notes. Back at my desk, I stabbed the yellow copy on a spindle with the other absentee forms.

If there ever was a problem with the make-up work, I could just sort through the few forms at the top of the spindle for a reference.

18. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 23, 2012

Does anyone have any idea how much two-part carbon paper costs?

19. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Apr 23, 2012

The make-up policy in our school has sort of evolved over the years with each passing administrator.

Since the drive started to pass as many students as possible and get the graduation rate up, we're expected to give an entire marking period's make-up work if the student asks for it. So, if they come up to the week grades are supposed to close for the marking period and ask you, "Can you tell me what I'm missing?", we're expected to dig it out for them.

But it's not as bad as a principal we had about 10 years ago. He told us even if June rolls around and a kid has failed all three previous marking periods, "You give them the make-up work from September-on to enable them to have a chance to pass."

:whistle:

20. Aussiegirl

Aussiegirl Habitué

May 13, 2012

I too have a bin with 1-31 folders. However, I've noticed part way through last year and almost all this year, that the extra copies plus the copies left over because kids were absent, were disappearing. I talked to the classes about this, but it continued. If I understand your post correctly, you have a student fill out a packet, thus all you have in each folder is a packet, which is labeled, for each absent student per day? If that is the case, I think that may help.

WHat is your policy when a student asks for a copy of a paper because they lost their original copy?

21. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

May 13, 2012

Too long to post, but I keep track of everything that is missing, nag as appropriate, take late points per my policy, grade late work once a week, and give a zero when the jig is up.

It is complicated, but I haven't got what it takes to jump on the no-late-work wagon.