How do you de-stress?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by Ms.Jasztal, Aug 2, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Aug 2, 2007

You know some days can be extremely stressful. I relieve stress by listening to music, praying, writing, and reading. Being around my family also de-stresses me at most times. :)

3. TripleJ

TripleJ Rookie

Aug 2, 2007

I do those things as well. I also like to go for scenic drives (alone) and listen to my favorite tunes and soak up the surroundings, chit-chat with my best girl friends (we use to have girl's spa night, before we were all married and had kiddos) and take a nice relaxing bubble bath. Now that I have a 2 year old I don't get to enjoy these things as much as I once did.

For a more in-depth destresser (costs a bit more, but worth it): massages, pedicures and a weekend away with my hubby for some alone time.

4. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

ms jasztal....

I am surprised that folks are peeking but not sharing!! :(

We all can use some stress busters!!

My favorite is listening to my music. Not new ones as much as old ones. Dusties..songs so old, they have dust on them!

They bring back memories, good and bad. I wonder where is that man who was supposed to carry me away....

sigh...

Smokey Robison gave me hope...

"I will build you a castle with a tower so high, it reaches the moon...

"I've got a girl on the other side of the mountain high, and that is where I should be."

Guess I'll just be content in my little one bedroom condo... ;)

Who would have thought the guy singing love songs would have his own line of frozen foods!

Food is another stress buster. Not pigging out!! But baking and cooking new dishes! I like to experiment, try out new things. And just make a small dish. Enough for me, and leftovers!!

I used to enjoy reading. I've been in denial over my glasses for years. I just don't like them. I rather see the world the way it is. To me, putting on my glasses is just more work! It took the fun out of reading! sigh!!

I also have a journal, and find it very relaxing. Sometimes, I come back to it after a long break! I'm am quite pleased to see my accomplishments, my quick recoveries, and how I document my efforts!

Of course, I pray as well.

Last but not least, a walk around the block is very good way to de-stress. By the second time I turn the corner, I have found solutions to my problems. By the third time, I have decided to leave them outside! I used to wonder what supervisors meant by saying "leave your problems at the door." Now I understand. :)

I also walk during my lunch hour at work. That is good exercise and very relaxing!!!

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Aug 2, 2007

Bubble baths, lurking on AtoZ, playing with my dog, gardening, I used to cross-stitch and crochet, but haven't done either in a while, a glass of wine (rarely), soy candles (they smell SO good!), play with my grandson (check out the "We are Grandparents" thread!), read (with my bifocals!) (get over the vanity Master Pre-K! lol), occasionally, I go shopping, lol, pray, meditate, veg in front of the boob tube

6. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

it's not vanity! I just don't feel they are part of me! For 30 years I got along just fine!

I can see for miles and miles down the street. I don't wanna put something on my face just to read the cereal box!

This is cereal, isn't it??? :)

no, it's pancake mix :lol:

ok PW!!!

7. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Aug 2, 2007

computer is humming...I think I better call it a night...

take care all!

8. Miss Kirby

Miss Kirby Fanatic

Aug 2, 2007

I did yoga a lot last year, only a couple times this summer. It's on Wednesday nights which seems to be the most stressful day for me. Now the class is 2 hours earlier and I don't know if I'll be able to make it that soon after school.

I also listen to music, talk to friends/family, watch my shows, and read.

9. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2007

I go out to the desert and wake up some coyotes and lizards with some good Old fashioned primeval screaming it does wonders for my stress level but what really scares the Mountain Lions away is the loincloth:rofl: :toofunny:

10. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2007

All kidding aside I put on some John Denver or James Taylor take a hot shower (with shower massage) and meditate in the horizontal position and If I have the money I get a massage
    I kind of like to say "Yesterday I had a 27 year old who couldn't keep her hands off me"

11. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 3, 2007

I take a bath every night; read; play with my kiddos; do scrapbooking; watch my reality shows; be with my family.

12. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Aug 3, 2007

We all have to do our own recess duty at my school, so on those days that I'm stressed out during the school day, instead of standing with the other teachers during recess, I take a lap around the field. Our field is fairly large, so by the time I'm at the outer corners, there usually isn't anyone right near me, and it does wonders for any agression I may be feeling.

13. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2007

Exercising every day is a good one for me. People say they're too busy to work out, but I find that taking the time to work out gives me more energy and helps me be less stressed out. I also love to read books!

14. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2007

2 words

Ice Cream!!!

15. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 3, 2007

Long baths, listening to my iPod... those are the best. I love to listen to soundtracks to musicals. They also make me happy! I'm currently listening to Hairspray again; the movie revived it for me.

I'm also a comfort eater. Gimme a big bowl of ice cream covered in chocolate syrup, and the world looks a little better.

16. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Aug 3, 2007

Going for a walk, doing yoga, or working out on my elliptical. Some days I really don't feel like doing either but doing some sort of exercise *really* relieves my stress and I feel a lot better!

Also, reading, hot baths, and playing with my dogs and kitty

17. tiredteacher29

tiredteacher29 Rookie

Aug 3, 2007

The last two years I had a 30-40 minute commute to and from work so I used that time to destress. This year I have a 5 minute commute, but my plans are to exercise after school, cook dinner with friends, and hang out with my boyfriend watching old John Wayne movies. :haha:

18. mincc

mincc Companion

Aug 3, 2007

Chocolate.

BUT:

This is by far my BEST de-stressor. :) My dog, Sophie. She is always there for me.
    [​IMG]

19. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2007

i get massages occasionally. Definitely getting one before school starts, and then a few throughout the year. If I have the money, I will pay for them ahead of time so I can just go in when I am stressed.

20. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Aug 3, 2007

Just as I read your post my dog (DeeOhGee) came up to me and gave me the "Here I am" Look

21. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Aug 3, 2007

How do I de-stress? I don't. Pretty soon I'm going to lose it and jump off a cliff.

Having a really really really organized day de-stresses me. ;) Making dinner. Diet coke. Diet coke. Diet coke. Reading (except I think I need bifocals, and I don't want them yet. I'm not even old enough to buy a glass of wine, but I need bifocals?!? What's up with that?). Walking in the desert. Did I mention diet coke? Cake. Mmmmm....cake.