How do you control the use of iPads in your class?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by TamiJ, Jul 22, 2014.

1. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2014

My grade-level team was granted iPads for this school year. We only have 5 per class, but it´s a start. My team has decided to focus on literacy, so I have looked up some apps and decided I will use it for wordwork, read to self and read to others (basically my Daily 3 time). However, how do I ensure everyone gets a turn? I have 5 table groups, and thought maybe I could do it by groups: Group 1 gets to use the iPads on Monday, group 2 on Tuesday, etc. (if it´s a 4 day week we continue with the next group on the following school day so all groups get a turn). Aside from that, I am clueless as how to do it. If you are currently using iPads in the classroom, can you just share the logistics of how you manage it?

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 22, 2014

I use them a lot in my small group instruction, but I've also put them in the Daily 5 rotation. I have a Daily 5 choice chart on the SMARTboard that the students manipulate for their choices each day. Reading group, the SMARTboard, and the iPads are already assigned to students for the day during specific sessions (I do 3 rotations a day). I lock those choices in the cell so students can't move it. I plan the whole week at a time so I make sure that each student has been on the SMARTboard and iPad at least twice a week.
    It takes a little set-up time when I first do it, but after that it's a breeze.

4. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2014

Ok, so you know each day which students will use the iPads? You determine that ahead of time? Also, how do you decide which ones?

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 22, 2014

Which ipads they will use? I happen to have different cases for mine, so it's easy to tell apart. If you have different color cases you could do a little icon. Or you could number the iPads. If they're doing an app or website that is the same on each iPad, it wouldn't really matter which one they have.

ETA: Yes I determine who is going to use the iPads ahead of time, and what they will be doing on the iPad.

6. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2014

Ok. That´s a great tip about numbering the iPads. I never even thought about that! Thanks so much for your great information. All of this is a bit overwhelming (even if I only have 5 iPads!).

7. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Jul 22, 2014

You'll get into a routine. Teach the kids your expectations on iPad use, and they'll monitor pretty well themselves. I create an anchor chart at the beginning of the year with them to help to remind them on the proper care of our iPads. I've found some pretty good ideas on Pinterest for those.

8. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2014

Thanks! That´s a great idea for a mini-lesson. :)

9. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Jul 22, 2014

We have one per student, but if I only had a small number I would do a rotation just like I used to when I had only a few desktop computers in my room. I would just make them a center or workstation or whatever you call them.

With our i pads, we have spent a ton of time going over expectations with what students will actually be doing with them. At first we had huge problems with students just using theirs to get on the internet or play a game of their choice. It helps to make it very clear from the beginning that those not using them as intended will lose the privilege.

10. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 22, 2014

That´s a great point. I plan on teaching that in a mini-lesson.

11. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2014

I have the kids use educreations to write word families during Daily 5 word work. They say the word, write it, and say it in a sentence.

12. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 24, 2014

Is there a charge for that app?

13. a.guillermo

a.guillermo Rookie

Jul 25, 2014

I teach 8th, and we have Chromebooks instead of ipads. (way better). We use them for everything in the classroom, and everyone has one. (no need for sharing)

The first year we did this, we had the chromebooks physically attached to the desk, but it was consensus that the students would benefit from taking them home daily to do work. So, we worked it into our budget (an added roughly $200 per tuition) and the students "owned" their Chromebooks. We bulk ordered Chromebook cases from amCase (awesome cases) and gave them to the students.

Naturally, there were many issues with this system, but we've managed to build a respect for the $200 tools.
    They are allowed to keep these laptops forever, and if they want to turn it in at the end of the school year, we buy them back, (resell on ebay) and use the return as a discount on their next year's Chromebook.

Sounds like a lot of work, I know, but we've had a lot fewer problems that one would expect. We're pretty pleased.

14. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2014

No...or at least no when I got it last year.