How do teachers take bathroom breaks?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms.Holyoke, May 10, 2017.

1. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

May 10, 2017

How do you handle bathroom breaks as a teacher? I was in a 1st grade classroom today and the classrooms didn't have connecting doors. My prep was early in the day so I didn't have a break from 11:30 until the end of the day. I couldn't find another teacher to watch my class so I thought I would just take the whole class down before we went out to recess at the end of the day. The staff bathrooms are right next to the student bathrooms so I told students to line up if they aren't using the bathroom. The second I went inside I heard kids talking and laughing. It took time to settle the kids and a teacher had to come out to talk to them. Ugh!!! Is there anything I should have done differently?

3. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

May 10, 2017

I would have done the same thing!

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  4. phillyteacher

phillyteacher Comrade

May 10, 2017

I would get another teacher nearby to come stand in their doorway where they could have a visual on my class and theirs.

Caesar753, Pashtun and Ms.Holyoke like this.
  5. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

May 10, 2017

I really wanted to do this but that teacher's door was closed/it seemed like she was doing something with her whole class. She also wasn't in her room for part of it and I didn't see anyone else I could ask. I'm glad I am going to be a middle school teacher so we can go between classes.

6. mathmagic

mathmagic Connoisseur

May 10, 2017

If you regularly have long blocks (i.e. more than 2 hours, or a length of time during which you feel like this kind of situation might arise), I'd develop a plan either with your principal or fellow teachers. It'd probably look like mentioned: having another teacher keep an eye on your classroom while you go....but could be an aide, or principal, or someone else doing that, as well.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 10, 2017

Call the office
    Ask the teacher across the hall or next door to 'straddle' both rooms
    Flag down an adult walking in hallway

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

May 10, 2017

I just get the kids busy and I go. I asked about coverage early on the year and was told there wasn't any. I kept the email so I have proof I did my due diligence.

9. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

May 10, 2017

Yes I probably should have called the office and asked...

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

May 10, 2017

If I'm ever really desperate, I get them independent reading and start grading papers at my back table. About three minutes after I start, I can sneak out and sneak back in without them even realizing I left!

Failing that, I have special ed coverage at a timely part of the day, and can usually get a neighbor to stand in the middle of our classes and see inside both.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

May 11, 2017

As others have said, try to grab someone to watch your class or call down to the office. You also learn to be very, very quick!

12. rpan

rpan Comrade

May 11, 2017

I call the office and someone will come to watch the class. Personally, I don't like leaving the class unattended in case something happens, you never know, sometimes things can happen just like that. I also don't like asking another teacher to watch my class In addition to their own for the same reason. If something happens, it puts that teacher in a bad position.

Leaborb192 likes this.
  13. vickilyn

vickilyn Maven

May 11, 2017

Quickly! How you get the time to step foot in the restroom is best addressed above. Just remember, at some point someone will ask you for the same favor in return.

14. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

May 11, 2017

You really should NEVER leave the class unattended. A local district I student taught at is getting sued because a boy sexually assaulted a girl while the pair were left alone in a classroom. And apparently it's not the first time students were left unattended. Wacky (and yes, illegal) stuff happens at ALL grade levels! :eek:
    If absolute worst came to worst: I would establish a relationship with the nearest teacher (up the hall, down the hall, wherever) and then just walk my class down to his/her room and have the kids just wait there while I go. :D

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 11, 2017

I wouldn't leave them alone. How would you explain if something happened

Leaborb192 likes this.
  16. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

May 11, 2017

We aren't even allowed to let groups work in the hall unless we are stationed at the door to watch the kids in the room while also watching the ones in the hall. It only takes a split second for something to happen and you will NEVER be in the right if you left your students unattended. Drink less water until you can figure out a system. Seriously, I know it's bad to not drink water frequently but this is the nature of our job unfortunately. I just make sure to hydrate like crazy when I get out of work. (Of course I'm up during the night though!)

17. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Connoisseur

May 11, 2017

This happens ALL THE TIME at the district I sub in. In fact when the kids are testing the 5th grade teacher lets two students, a boy and girl, go down the hall way and work in the empty (unsupervised) staff room. "They can be trusted because they're teachers' kids.'' :rofl:
    I remember one time I was subbing and the Principal was like "Did you know ...?" And I said, "Oh yeah, I do. It's how the teacher does it." She just said, "That's not right." She then began to tell me all the reasons why it wasn't a good idea. I 100% agreed with her, but said it's how the teacher does things. She said she'd have to ''talk '' to her. But they basically leave these kids unsupervised all throughout the building. It's a mess.
    The teachers here are pretty much "comfortable" and know that not much will happen to them.o_O

18. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

May 11, 2017

At my school we have 5 minutes passing period, but kids start walking in, so I don't really want to use the restroom then. So it's kinda the same as at the last school. There's a 12 minute break around 10ish, then lunch around 12:30, and we finish by 2:40. So I have 2 hour blocks, which is not bad at all. Occasionally I don't want to wait, in that case I can call the office, and they send someone. At my current school I just step out of my classroom and there are 2 secretaries up front, someone can watch my class for 2 minutes.

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Phenom

May 11, 2017

I have a medical need to drink lots of water. I go into shock and am at death's door if I am even mildly dehydrated. I've got the four ambulance rides and six hospital stays to prove it.

Ms.Holyoke likes this.
  20. avavida

avavida New Member

May 11, 2017

Luckily I teach 2nd grade so we take frequent restroom breaks so I go every time they do so about 6-7x through the day

21. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Comrade

May 12, 2017

As teachers, I think we need to drink water since we talk so much abs especially if there is a medical condition like you have described above. I'm shocked that your admin doesn't have a workaround for teachers at your school. I think all teachers should have rooms with connecting doors so they can take a break whenever they need. I personally will continue to drink as much water as I would like to during the day!